1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32ZP18Q - First impressions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by 3iron, May 11, 2002.

1. 3iron

3iron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having followed the numerous threads and comments about the 32ZP18Q problems, I thought I post my first impressions, having just received one yesterday.

It will take a while to get used to it and for settings to settle down but first impressions is excellent - overall 9 out of 10. I suspect that the missing 'one' is due to the quality of the signal for some programmes - most pictures are perfect, some aren't quite.

The most noticeable 'problem' is reading the text at the bottom of the Sky pages - such as the 'Breaking News' banner yesterday - the words looked over-compressed, with artifacts around the edges of the letters. Is this normal with Sky or is there anything I can do?

I would have the habit of sitting on the floor close to my 'old' tv but when I do this with the Tosh, I do see the edges of people slightly breaking up. Sitting further back doesn't show any of these to bother me.

I ordered and received the 'Q' model and, as well as the stated differences here, it also seems to differ from previous models in that Picture mode 1, 2 & 3 are all fixed and the user sets his/her preferences in Picture mode 'M'.

I readily admit that I'm just a regular television watcher and I'm delighted to say that I haven't noticed any of the problems often quoted here. Maybe I'm easier to please but to be honest I haven't went looking for problems and I haven't seen any so I think I'll not bother trying to find them! ;)

HTH,

3iron

2. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    A few points:

The 'features' don't bother me any more. After a while I stopped looking for them and now just enjoy the show. They don't distract from the picture unless you look for them.

As for Sky, have you got it set up for RGB (both on the Sky box and the TV)? From other reports, this seems to make a big difference.

Finally, because the picture is stretched over a much larger area than on your old TV, if you sit close, you will think the picture is quite poor. I have the 36" and it's even worse.

The picture modes ar the same as on the previous models. You take mode 1, 2 or 3 as a starting point and then whatever changes you make, end up as mode M.

But when you are sitting at the other side of the room, everything looks good.

3. 3iron

3iron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Be gentle on me here... ;)

I don't know what you mean "have you got it set up for RGB" - the engineers installed the tv and I kept quoting bits about the set-up I'd read here and they agreed so I assumed that it was set-up correctly.

In layman's terms here's how its set up...

Ext 1 is VCR via Scart
    Ext 2 is Sky via Scart
    No Ext3 or 4 - I haven't got a DVD

I can also watch Sky by selecting Channel 10.

Correct?

How do I check RGB set-up?

3iron

4. 3iron

3iron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK - Just checked manual and read a few NG posts elsewhere and it appears that Sky should be in Scart 1 (RGB) on thgis TV.

I've now swapped both Scarts around and, to be honest, I don't notice any difference between watching Sky via EXT1 and selecting it Via Channel 10.

Should there be?

Is Sky Ext 1 now stereo? Is this the only (noticeable) difference?

3iron

5. 3iron

3iron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Aaahhhh..... did you hear the penny drop? :)

I *hadn't* RGB selected on the Sky Box - picture now even better. :cool:

Thanks. Networkguy. :)

3iron

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you have connected sky to EXT 1 you may have to go into the menu of the digibox and change the settings there for RGB, it still may be set on PAL.

Any problems come back.

bob

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wondered what all that noise was.

to late in helping, glad you got it sorted.

bob

8. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    I suspect a lot of owners out there have it set up how you origionally had it (because it isn't clear to a non home cinema bod) which is a shame because as you have now discovered, it does make a big difference.

HTH

Enjoy