Toshiba 32ZP18P sound

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by adamp10, Aug 26, 2001.

1. adamp10

adamp10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've almost made up my mind to buy a Toshiba 32ZP18P, the only thing I'm not sure about is the sound system. I'm new to home cinema, so these are probably pretty basic questions, but I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me here.

The review for the TV in What Video and TV stated that there was "no 5.1 analogue outputs for delivering decoded Dolby Digital audio to an external amp/speakers combo".

How big a problem is this? It doesn't mean I can't connect an external amp and speakers set, does it?

The TV has DD, but not DTS. How big an issue is that, or is likely to become?

If say in the future I wanted to use external amp/speakers, how would I connect these? Would it be from my DVD player or from the TV? What about if a television programme was transmitted in DD or DTS?

Thanks for any help.

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have that same set. I don't however use the speakers or decoding from the tv as i have a separate amp and speakers.

The tv has on onboard dd5.1 decoder, which although functional, is not a patch on most seperates.

As for 5.1 outputs. Why? If you have a seperate dd5.1 amp, you would route the DVD player, Laserdisc or skydigital (if sky+ or Sony digibox) directly to the amp and not to the tv.

The tv has 2x phono fixed level outputs which can go to the amp and it also has excellent audio passthrough (so you can connect video and other sources by scart to the tv and allow the tv to pass the audio to the amp with the exception of Dolby Digital/DTS sources etc which would be connected direct). This saves a lot of audio switching on the amp.

About one in three of my dvds are DTS and i will always buy a DTS dvd in preference of a DD5.1 version.

Remember if you do get an amp/reciever in the future, the onboard DD5.1 decoding of the television will not be used.

[ 26-08-2001: Message edited by: Doubledoom ]</p>

3. adamp10

adamp10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.

By the way, are you happy with the picture on the set? I've seen a few comments on this forum about some problems with the picture, especially when watching football, which I do a lot. Have you noticed any problems?

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have seen comments on this forum but i am not having any of these problems.

The tosh has 3 default picture settings and one user setting. None of the 3 defaults are any good and i have noticed that some people on this forum have said they are viewing in picture mode 1. This is full contrast, full brightness etc. This is no way to view a television picture and it would show up some problems with the transmission.

There appear to be some genuine problems with some owners but don't mix these up with those with a poor selection of settings.

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    THats not correct, picture mode 1 is full contrast, 2 60%, 3 30% from memory. All the other changeable parameters are the same initially.

However other posters suggest there are hidden differences in designer settings and recommend starting from picture mode 3 and adjusting to required settings to remove brightness fluctuations seen in modes 1 and 2.

I agree with the other poster about connectivity, but in the absence of owning a seperated DD amplifier I am reasonably happy with the sound quality from the set through the supplied speakers. Whilst I am sure that a better amp and speakers would sound better, I have no room for them and consider the supplied set up acceptable for my requirements and present budget.