1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32ZP18B and alternatives?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by 3iron, Jan 13, 2002.

1. 3iron

3iron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I *was* very interested in the Toshiba 32ZP18B until I read the recents threads - now I'm not so sure :rolleyes:

I'm looking for a compact 32" (the picture frame size of the Tosh is very attractive and space is limited where the tv will sit in the room), wide, flat screen, 100Hz, Dolby system (more for the future than now) mainly for terrestrial and Sky use. No DVD use at all at the minute, maybe in years to come.

1. I've picked up that most problems with the Toshiba *seem* to be with the 36". Are there any happy 32" owners ot 32" with few problems or is it just too risky overall?

2. This forum obviuosly has a lot of experts and discerning buyers - (thanks to D & D for pointing it out to me!) but I wonder would a complete newbie and non-expert like me actually pick-up the problems with the ZP 18s?

2. Can anyone suggest an alternative (budget up to £1200-ish) to the Toshiba that I can check out?

Thanks for your help.

3iron

2. njm32

njm32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had my 32" Toshiba for about 10 weeks and very pleased so far. I had a geometry problem but this was fixed in service mode - the factory setup must be a very quick 'looks OK'.
    I have followed the problems on the other thread and I was not aware of the 'brighter sides' until I read about this and if I look very carefully on a 'fade to black' scene (in a darkened room) then yes it is possible to see this effect. It is up to you to decide if this is a problem to you.
    It fits nicely in a corner but some visitors don't believe me when I say it is a 32" screen- they say the set looks too small!!
    No other problems, DVD into component inputs gives stunning pictures!
    You should be able to get one for about £1200
    Norman:)

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 32" version. Most of the complaints in "that thread" are about the 36" version. The 32" version either doesn't suffer them, or suffers them to a lesser degree.

Apart from the faded sides (which doesn't occur on mine unless i increase the brightness and contrast to a high level), the dirty screen effect and the colour patches went from mine after a couple of months of use. This is not uncommon.

If i had the money in my hand again at this point and was choosing a television, i would buy this set again.

4. 3iron

3iron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's very reassuring - maybe all is not lost yet! :)

I've been looking around and Panasonic TX32PG50C is also compact with excellent features. I'm aware of comments by owners going back to when they came out about humming but is this one generally accepted as being good too?

3iron

5. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my 32" for about 6 months. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't buy one. Also I seriously doubt if I'll buy another Tosh.

But hey, it's your money.

John

6. ssharkey63

ssharkey63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had mine since early December ...

Two main problems.

1. Dirty Screen - which is a real pain when you watch anything that involves movement across a "landscape" i.e. Football !!

Once you notice this it really gets on your nerves - you look for it in every scene!! I have decided that I can't stand it any longer and have organised an engineer call-out. I'm not hopeful though ... I imagine a long winding road of call-outs lie ahead.

2. Some small brightness flickering - good example of it on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" - you know how the on screen answers are framed by white lines... well on my set the white lines strobe quite nicely. If you didn't know better you'd think the programme makers were very clever ... Of course having noticed this on broadcast TV I can spot it on DVD's as well !! A real shame when your expectation was "perfection" for DVD playback.

I'm very interested to note that for Doubledoom the dirty screen problem clears up after a couple of months ... How bad was it to start with ?

7. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ssharkey63, have you tried turning dynamic contrast off?

That may be having an impact on what you are seeing.

8. ssharkey63

ssharkey63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Doubledoom ... I haven't tried this ... but I will tonight.

What about the "dirty picture" problem - any advice on that ??

Cheers,

9. njm32

njm32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I looked at one of these before I decided on the Toshiba. It has similar 'picture frame' appearance but not quite as thin, the picture was not as good as the toshiba but this may have been the source. Also Shop@Panasonic told me it was due to be replaced.
    Judging by the high sales of the toshiba ZP I would think that the other big names may come up with something similar - if you are prepared to wait:rolleyes:

10. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the dirty screen when i first got the set. It appears to gradually go away after a number of months. My set is now 6 months old and it is not there any more.

11. d4v34

d4v34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never had the dirty screen effect but I've got the brightness problem and a noisy transformer.

I was wondering if the new Q version of the set had an updated firmware which fixes/reduces the brightness flicker.

DoubleDoom, could you post your current settings as I'd like to reduce the obviousness of the non-uniform background.
    Think I may well invest in Video Essentials - wonder if that Aussie site still has 'em cheap.

Ta