1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32ZP18 (again!)

Discussion in 'TVs' started by shins28, Mar 22, 2002.

1. shins28

shins28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have had my 32ZP18 for 4 days now and on the whole I am mightily impressed with it. Picture can be stunning, sound is very good as long as you turn the sub down a bit, and it is one of the few TV's that looks fantastic when its not even turned on! 2 Thumbs up to Tosh on the styling.
    However, there is one little problem, it seems as though the brightness flares occasionally, particuarly during interior shots and high contrast situations..........is there a cure for this or is it a feature of the model.

Any feedback much appreciated.

TIA........Tony

System,

Toshiba 32ZP18
    Sky Digital Amstrad DRX200 Receiver
    Nad T550 DVD
    "Cheapo" Aiwa Video (VHS)

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try setting it to picture mode 3 and then adjust to suit your taste. Picture mode 3 turns off the dynamic contrast and could fix what you are seeing.

3. Pauleylad

Pauleylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I had an engineer round yesterday to do a brightness fluctuation fix. Get an engineer out to see your television and tell him these values to be changed are in the designer menu.
    You won't regret it, it makes the picture seem clearer also for some reason.

The Paramaters to change are as follows:BS2 2BS2 3BS2 WBS2 NBS2

The values on all these paramaters need to change to 07H

Example: My Old values were:BS2 = 09H 2BS2= 00H 3BS2= C4H WBS2= 09H NBS2= 09H

I hope this helps anyone who is suffering the same problem

4. shins28

shins28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys,

I have now used mode 3 for the last 4 hrs and all seems well, but I am also interested in this "designer menu"- can you access this yourself or is an engineer only job.

Thanks again, Tony

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You probably know the answer to this as you own a Tosh32zp18. I have just bought a Toshiba 32ZP18Q (what the hell does that last letter mean?)

I have set it up in the following way as was recommended in the manual

ITV digtal box to EXT1 (RGB)
    Nicam Video to EXT2 (i have also set up up to input the EXT1 signal into EXT2, a nice feature)
    Sony DVD player to EXT3 (i have also attached a coaxial digital cable into DT2)

All seems ok but i am not convinced i have set it up ok

The reason for this is that there is a green light which appears under the TV when it is recieving a Stereo signal. This appears on standard BBC1, ITV etc and whilst playing DVDs. However it does not appear on EXT1 or EXT2, beacause of this and the fact the sound becomes quiter, I am asuming that from these sources it is only outputting a mono signal. There is however sound coming out of the rear speakers.

Should i expect a stereo signal from EXT1 and EXT2, if so what am i doing something wrong, do i require further cables?

Cheers Bob

6. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The light is the NICAM stereo decoder working. It should only be on when you are watching terrestial television. It should not be on via other sources as they dont use it. They use other methods

The P & Q is discussed in loads of other tosh threads, along with the B and G designation so i wont bother repeating that one.

You seem to have forgotten the STB > VCR connection.

If the DVD player has component video outputs, then use those instead of the s-video scart.

7. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that was quick

I was told by the shop that scart in EX3 was better than component leads

The DVD player i have is a sony dv300 it came with what i think are component leads 3 leads red yellow and green?

which sockets would these go into in the Tosh? There are lots of possibilities in the component section

Sorry for being so thick

cheers for the advice much appreciated

i found the answer to the P and Q in older threads after posting the first question

i should have checked first

Bob

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what does this mean?

You seem to have forgotten the STB > VCR connection.

9. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your connection between the ITV STB and the VCR using scart was missing on your list.

Without it, you cannot record from the STB, unless you use the input/output scart on the tv (as you mentioned). However, you can only use that when the television is on.

10. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh i see!!!

yeah the other scart from the digital box goes to the video too

I will have a go now at those component leads

it was richer sounds by the way where i got my coaxial cable from who told me that scart was better

you should work for toshiba you are saving their customers services dept a load of hassle

cheers

bob

11. Pauleylad

Pauleylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Shins, if you do a search of the forum with key words designer mode, you will see a post there about brightness fix. Follow the instructions carefully. The values I posted only should be changed. It should go up alphabetically if I remember correctly, i.e bs2 , then move along until you find 2bs2 then 3bs2 etc.
    Its fairly simple if you just take your time.
    I notice a massive difference in picture now, especially on BBC1 where the picture on programmes like Eastenders and Casualty seemed like there was "net curtain" over the screen.
    Not sure if its my set only but I found on picture mode 3 that text that appeared on the screen seemed a little more blurred.
    Hope this helps.
    Paul

12. aqureshi

aqureshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I was going to start a new thread but then I thought I'll use this one as problems I am having with my 36ZP18 is v.similar to this thread. I bought this model 4 months ago and 2 weeks ago it developed a fault rang John Lewis and they send an engineer who took the set away and next day called me to say that they r going to replace it with a new one.
    I am noticing problems like brightness(the picture is v.bright on scences where it is sunny, i.e it occurs always with whites)-looks like a contrast problem. The other problem I have noticed is that the vertical black bars being differen sizeson left compared to right.
    These problenms were not there with my old set. I have used pic Mode 3 to set the contrast, brightness--- and other values.
    Any recomendation on these values. My room is moderately lit.

I am thinking of calling the Engineer but I'll appreciate if Paul and Doubledoom can give me their views or any thing I can try myself to cure these problems.

Any help will be appreciated

Cheers

Asad

13. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 4:3 bars are bigger on the left than the right but the picture in between the bars is positioned fine.

Try the brightness adjustments to the designer menu. These adjustments are the same as those needed on my old Tosh too, so they are nothing new.

14. aqureshi

aqureshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Doubledoom 'll try the brightness fix. If I understand correctly that different size 4:3 bars is not a problem. Is there any way I can get rid of it.
    One other question I want to ask you is that on the Digi box, in services menue, under picture etting, do i need to set the output as 16:9 or 4:3.
    I have connected my EX1 scart on he TV to Digibox(TV output),
    EX2 --> VIDEO(output)on sky to Video(input)on my Video player.
    EX3 from TV to DVD.
    On the TV, I wasn't sure what to select on the Menu where it says:
    Ex2 input, EX3 input, Ex2 output.
    I have defined them as EX2 input: AV , EX3 input: AV and EX2 output : EX1.

Is this correct?

Thanks again for your help Doubledoom.

Asad

15. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    16:9

The AV settings are fine. Scart 2 is an input/output scart. The other two are input only. The VCR > scart 2 connection is not really needed as the digibox > VCR connection does exactly the same but there is no problem having it there.

16. aqureshi

aqureshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks DoubleDoom.

Cheers

Asad

17. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NEED HELP!!!!!

i have got a Toshiba 32zp18q and a toshiba SD210ES Multiregion DVD player

My query concerns the component leads

the DVD was supplied with an audio/video cable 3 leads red white and yellow.

From what i can make out these are not the component leads i require, I need component video jacks (is this right?)

I have just got back from currys/comet who didn't have a clue and both insisted that svideo / scart was the better option

very frustrating as i know this is not the case

So does anyone know where i can get these component video jacks or do i already have them

cheers

arsey

:confused:

18. plb

plb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Asad,
    The problem you describe below does it show up on any source, ie DVD and Sky Digital or just off air transmissions?
    Also does it only effect certain parts of the picture causing a sort of hot spot effect, say faces that a brightly lit in the sun?
    I ask because I have this set and have seen this problem discribed before and was interested to know if the problem is slight or whether it is very noticable?
    Paul

Quote "I am noticing problems like brightness(the picture is v.bright on scences where it is sunny, i.e it occurs always with whites)-looks like a contrast problem."

19. aqureshi

aqureshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't checked the DVD output but it definitelt show up on sky and off air transmission.
    Yes you are correct in saying that it only effect certain parts of the picture causing a sort of hot spot effect, say faces that a brightly lit in the sun?
    It is definitely noticeable only on the bright scenes.

Cheers

Asad

20. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    They are not the ideal leads but they work perfectly for me. Dont forget you will need a sound lead as well, either optical or cable for the digital sound output.

21. shins28

shins28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pauleylad,

Thanks for all the info, I had a go at the designer menu and it is a doddle to change the parameters that you suggested, it does take a bit of bottle to hack about in hidden menus when your new TV is only 5 days old but the result has been worth the worry, the changes have completely rectified my problem and I can now use all picture modes with no "auto brightness enhancer".
    I am a happy bunny!
    A word of caution to anyone thinking about altering these parameters,.......make sure the kids are in bed and the wife is at the bingo before attempting it, you need to concentrate on what you are doing and follow instructions with extreme care!-You have been warned!

Thanks a lot you guys,

Tony

22. Pauleylad

Pauleylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Glad you got it sorted shins, it certainly makes a difference.
    Paul

23. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pauleylad

The parameter changes you posted for the brightness fix - do these changes sort out the problem in all 3 picture modes? My 36ZP18 is OK in picture mode 3, but modes 1 and 2 have the brightness fluctuation problem. I am on my 3rd replacement set and Toshiba have basically washed their hands of the problems I've reported with this set. They say that all parameter changes have been applied by their engineer before this replacement set was sent out to me. Also, have you noticed any of the following problems:

1) Superwoofer vibrates TV chasis with fairly low but bassy sounds.
    2) Picture ''shimmers" when volume is turned up.
    3) Also, how is the geometry on your set? Mine has a downwards curve in the top part of the screen (which is one of my main problems with this set).

Finally, how have you found Toshiba (assuming you have made contact with them over the problems you've noticed)?

Thanks

DEN

24. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    And does the brightness fix reduce the flaring whites seen on analog tuner?

To awnser the above, I have never noticed vibation with super woofer, but I respect my neighbours and have it set low.
    Anyone know why when I use the THX sound test program on a dvd why the woofer does not sound?, surely this is the 6th channel? or does the set just take base from 5 channels it can decode and fut it through the woofer?

Similarly never seen the picture shimmer.

Geometry on my set is reasonable. Slight curve on sides of screen less than full width in top 3 inches of a few mm.

When picture on wide with bands top and bottom I have a slight curve of about 2mm down to the middle of set.

No set can every have perfect geometry, it is always a compromise to get the best overall, I understand Toshiba say they are in spec if deviation from a straihgt line is less than 5mm.

25. shins28

shins28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    although the brightness fix cures the auto brightness situation I do notice some flaring occasionally on sky digital, but it is literally a one in ten occurance that I can certainly live with and it seems to happen on older material, new programs produce an A1 picture.

Tony

26. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am really interested in getting a 32ZP18 but obviously reading this forum I'm now totally unsure. The 32ZP18 is obviously good to look at and fits in the same space as a 28", but it is ~£1200 so I'd expect it to be right.

I need to know whether there are any workarounds for the following problems:

1) Sides brighter than middle - more of a problem on 36" than 32"? What settings are best to minimise this effect? Is it only visible in dark scenes with the ambient light low?

2) Dirty screen - what is this anyway? I saw a 36" which showed two vertical darker regions about 1" in from the left and right of the edges (when in blue screen). Effect was much less on a 32" I saw and was unnoticeable suring normal viewing (in a well-lit store!). Is this what everyone means when they talk about dirty screen or is this another problem?

3) Brightness flickering - can this now be fixed in all modes with the fixes suggested above (BS etc in service mode)? Any side effects of doing these changes?

4) Horizontal lines opening and closing? Eh?

5) Brightness flaring - when an object comes on screen it causes the brightness of other objects to suddenly flare - is this the same as 3)? Can it be cured/lessened?

6) Tilt - can this be rectified in the service menu?

7) Geometry problems - can this be rectified in the service menu?

I need to know the state of play with these problems (and any others) before I hand over my hard-earned cash. I am no home cinema expert (this is my first "real" TV) but I am pretty fussy about things especially when I know they are there. How many of these problems will I see during normal use? Initially I will be using the analogue tuner and DVDs (got to buy that as well - any recommendations - go for Toshiba DVD - new SD220E?). Don't have Sky yet, but that is to come (footy!).

Despite these problems is this TV still the business? I have done side-by-side comparisons with other TVs in the shops and I must say I wasn't that enamoured by the picture even when I played with the settings (is this because of its analogue tuner?), but I am kind of hoping that when I got it home I could really set it up properly - I've seen threads with recommended settings so I was going to take a blind leap of faith. Anyone recommend any settings here (save me trawling)?

Anyone know if the Q version has any of this fixed? How useful is the option for the teletext to be next to the pixture (don't get this on the Q version)?

I have been scouring this forum for a week and whenever I make up my mind on a model I then do a search and find that's got its problems as well. So I've gone full circle and arrived back where I started - hopefully the issues are not too severe or at least can be tweaked.

So what do you say - go for it or keep looking?

Questions, questions.

Thanks in advance for any help!

27. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    jasonlgriffin

To awnser some points, I have a 36ZP and overall like it, but:

The analogue tuner is crap, white's are too bright(almost glowing at times) and sunlit areas go white, current second set a lot better but still very noticeable. I now use the tuner in the video and the picture is then acceptable. However superb picture on digital source, dvd etc.

Dirty screen seems to occur with poor quality low bandwith digital broadcast, set sharpness to -40 and it improves. Also seems to go with use.

Dark bands either side are a feature and cant be removed, but you only see them on uniform colours.

Lighter sides is also a feature, but you only see it on end credits etc, unless you are into dim and dark films!

Most geometry can be fixed in the menu, but I don't know how too, or need to with my set, except tilt which is manually adjusting magnets, coils etc.

I have never noticed the brightness flaring, but I have always used picture mode 3 which seems to get over it?

28. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just been to see another ZP18 (36") in a House of Fraser store. It was showing Jurassic Park on DVD via a Scart lead. Picture looked good but I wouldn't say it was expectional - but then again I've yet to see an exceptional picture on any TV in a showroom (although my current Ferguson curved set from the late 80s is pretty close!).

They will price match it to £1175 - I know I can get slightly better than this but I actually got them to match a local JL price! I am assuming the after-sales service is as good at HoF (get free 5yr warranty anyway)?

I sat and watched JP for a little while (quite dark scenes and end credits) and I couldn't see any problem with the picture - maybe because it was a light store? I couldn't make out the lighter sides at all or any brightness problems. I'm hoping that a good quality connection (scart or component) will improve the image even more and in fact a 32" should be marginally better anyway.

It sounds that the analogue tuner is really bad though - not sure if I've seen this in action in any of the stores though. Is this nothing to do with the brightness settings? But from what has just been said - I can use the video to possibly improve this (or subscribe to Sky!). My current VCR is pants though (old Matsui) so I may have to upgrade this as well!

I'm thinking about making the leap now and keeping my fingers crossed. Any problems, I'm hoping HoF will be happy to sort out afterwards and perhaps I could go to the Q model if I do have problems (if this ever gets released). Anyone have any info on this model yet - I have the user manual, but have Tosh actually fixed any of the fixable problems?

29. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

The brighter sides are a feature of both the 36" and the 32" and are affected equally. You could say it is more noticeable on the 36" but this is only because the screen is bigger, eg., the sides are no brighter on the 36" than on the 32". The problem is caused by the screen glass being thicker at each end which makes these areas hold more light.

The dirty screen effect is a different problem to the one you describe. It mainly shows up on brightly lit backgrouds such as a white/pale blue sky and comes across as a murky mesh effect across the bright area. It's hard to describe unless it is pointed out. This is not a major problem though and shouldn't be that distracted. Some people have said it gets better with time but mine did not. I think you just get used to it more.

The brightness flickering was the single most major problem for me and it cannot be eliminated completely. It must be stressed though that this is a very individualised problem in that some people will never even notice it while others will pick up on it straight away. It's also a difficult problem to descibe. I talked at length to Toshiba about this one over the phone but they were unable to see it until they sent one of their official engineers round to whitness it first hand. He did pick up on the problem immediately and described what and why it was happening. I won't repeat this here as I have covered it extensivey in another thread. Bottom line is, it cannot be fixed. The engineer tried the designer menu BS settings and claimed this improved the problem but to my eyes, it didn't make the slightest bit of difference.

This does happen when channel shifting repeatedly or quickly changing the screen aspect ratio but again, isn't a concern under normal viewing. One way to replicate this problem is to simply keep flicking the on-screen menu on and off and you will see horizontal lines flashing over the picture. This is most noticeable on a persons face.

I did not have this problem at all.

As far as I am aware, Tilt cannot be adjusted via the service menu of this TV. I had no Tilt problems though.

I experienced minor geometry problems but these can be improved in the service menu.

Depends on the person. The worst thing is that you already know about all the problems so will most likely find them as you know what to look for now.

Not in my opinion. At first, I fell in love with it's looks but as the months went by, I began to dislike it more and more as it has a very plasticky finish. The minimalist screen design appealed to me but I changed the set for a Loewe Aconda which blows the Toshiba away in terms of build, finish, features and performance. It was significantly more expensive though.

You will never notice any of the aformentioned problems in the showroom as their picture settings are way off from what they should be. You should never judge picture quality from the showroom. It will be better when you set it up at home. There are a few settings that improve the brighter sides issue. Using test discs I found these to be: Picture Mode 3 (which turns Dynamic Contrast Off) then set Brightness to 45/46, Contrast to 68/70 and Colour to 45. You don't need to adjust sharpness when using Picture Mode 3 as the overall picture is softer anyway.

The Q version does not fix any of the problems, or as Toshiba likes to call them "design limitations". The split teletext/picture is useful but I presume the "Q" version still has this feature? Why would it be removed? The "Q" model is available now and should be what you end up with unless you get old stock. http://www.qed-uk.com are blatently advertising the "Q" version as in stock and ready to ship.

People will find fault with all Tv's. It's just a matter of what faults annoy you most. Everyone is different in this regard. Saying that, I cannot find any fault whatsoever with my lovely Loewe Aconda 9381ZW in Light Stratos Metallic.....but I'm sure others have done.

I say stay well clear. Words cannot describe how much I hate that Toshiba set - but that's a biased opinion from a previous owner. Best thing you can do is to try the Tv for a few weeks on trial. Make it clear to the shop that you will be returning it if you are not satisfied. Be aware though, that getting a refund is a tricky issue with this set as Toshiba will not recognise the problems as genuine faults.

Only too glad to help - if I have that is?

30. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i kinda agree with groundy.

i too bought this set, and have since sent it back. The over riding feature of this set i couldnt live with was the brighter sides. At first i thought i could live with it but over time it became more annoying.

If you watch alot of dark science fiction films in a dark room or look at solid screens of colour then you to may find the brighter sides are just too noticeable to put up with, especially when you consider the price of this tv. The flickering brightness was noticeable slightly and the sub-woofer did vibrate the case, tho these second points alone weren’t enough for me to return to set.

I now have a panny pb50 which is being replaced by a sony dx100 as it has a dis-coloured patch on the screen. I am hoping the dx100 will be all i want it to be…as good the aconda?!.