1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32ZD26 - a question

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Bruce Morrison, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the 32ZD26 a few weeks ago, and I'm generally very pleased with it. However, I've gradually become aware of a slight problem that I haven't seen any discussion about in other threads.

It arises when there is fairly rapid movement of a dark area relative to a bright area, for example in a panning shot. Close to the boundary between the two, the dark area momentarily acquires a dark green colouration while the movement is occurring.

Although this is just a fleeting effect, it is still noticeable, and I've found examples on DVDs (both PAL and NTSC) that are definitely observable each time on repeated playbacks. I've tried experimenting with various scan modes but it makes no difference - the same effect still happens in the same places.

Has anyone experienced this effect on the Tosh or on any other TVs? I don't know whether it's a design flaw or a fault with this set that could be put right. Any information or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

2. ixos1

ixos1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are you using Component cables?

if so, what one? ah, hell with that, make sure you use Supra's AV3

and if you don't care, use Chord's Silver S-Video

You'll find S-Video is better for these kind of problems - especially Pixel Plus over both Component and RGB Scart

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Who did you say you worked for? B and O, Chord or Supra? Perhaps you should have a look at the engineering behind cables before making silly recomendations.

solving problems by swapping cables? Doooh, are we heading back to the dark ages here or are we just selling cables / justifying dubious purchases. :(

Bruce

How is the DVD connected (type) and are you video leads proper video leads (75 ohm)?

Next look to you tv set up. Have you used a set up disc like avia etc. If not PM me and we will sort something out for you to eliminate any fault senario first.:(

This does make me laugh, mixing up interfaces, plugs and scaling / deinterlacing technology all in one sentence. This isn't helping anyone. How the hell is pushing pixel plus on B and O going to help someone with a Toshiba tv. :(

4. ixos1

ixos1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you've got the problems not me

Since I've never gotten the problems that 98% of everyone gets on here; I'm qualified to say that "all things considered, the obvious choice tends to be the right one"

I don't get pulled in to marketing hype and convoluted technology festivity, but I do know what works and what doesn't and the problems associated to them

and may I say, just what exactly does my interpretation of Bang & Olufsen technology generate some kind of barrier with the association that they now use Philips's Pixel Plus, enhancing it so that - for the moment - HDTV for Europe isn't so much that we don't have it, but simply that we've got something that could replace it in less years than it takes for it to arrive here

incidentally, don't take my personality as a character flaw, since being here, some of the things I didn't know have been answered better than I could have figured them out

good luck with your problem
    I'm sure you'll have it fixed here soon

5. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So lack of HDTV in Europe is going to be solved by pixel plus....
    I am tempted to say B***S**T nut that would be rude of me.
    However perhaps you would care to elaborate....

AL

6. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I'm using component video input from a Sony 7700 DVD player. I can't recall what make the lead is, but it's a specific three-cable component video lead, which cost me about £40, so I doubt that it's the cause of the problem.

I haven't used a setup disc, and I'd be grateful for any recommendations on getting one. The dealer did do some tweaking of the screen geometry in the shop before I bought the set, but that's the only kind of setup that's been done thus far.

7. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Bruce Morrison,

If you take a look here at my response to the original post, you will see a fault listed as "Flaring".

To elaborate on the brief description, you will notice trails of colour (sometimes green) as a white/bright object moves on a black background. eg. A torchlight moving rapidly in a dark scene.

It is also possible to witness this fault when a dark scene immediately follows a bright scene. The previous bright image will remain visible (a matter of milliseconds) against the dark background.

I think it is the TV at fault, but if you are really struggling to notice it I wouldn't bother with a replacement. The next TV could have any number of other problems associated with this model, also the "flaring" problem may be worse on a different set.

I advise calibrating the television using either AVIA or Video Essentials, failing that a THX Optimode test featured on T2, Toy Story 2 or Monsters Inc. Also make sure you have DNR and Black Stretch set to OFF on the TV, and any unnecessary picture "enhancements" set to OFF on the DVD player.

Full calibration of the TV from Picture Mode 3 (don't even contemplate using Mode 1 or 2) can do wonders for the image. You will be amazed by the results once your settings are optimised.

If you need any further assistance/advice, just ask.

Edit: I have just realised you posted your query in the aforementioned thread. I am almost 100% sure that the problem you are describing is that of "flaring". I have had 5 of these sets so far and this problem was evident on all of them to a greater or lesser extent.