1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32z17b

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mondeoman, Jul 15, 2001.

1. mondeoman

mondeoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie needs help.
    Just bought the 32" Toshiba, cannot get stereo sound from Sky, or OnDig.
    Have them both connected via scarts, green light indicates stereo with terrestrial tv but not on when viewing sky or ondig.
    Have looked in the manual but can't see anything.
    Any body help?

2. DPS

DPS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI
    Cannot help you with your problem as I do not own sky or ondigital.But was hoping you could help me out with mine.I bought the 32z17b around a week ago from QED and have experienced when playing dvds strange colour like stains or distortions on either side of the tv which are really bad when playing NTSC titles.I am ringing them up tomorrow for an enginer as I cannot resolve the problem and its doing my head in.Although two tvs are never the same could you please let me know if you are having similar problems or not when veiwing discs.
    THANK YOU.

3. Beddie

Beddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The green light just indicates that you are receiving NICAM, so this will not light up with Sky, Ondig etc., only with terrestrial TV. You will be getting stereo/prologic though, using a Scart lead, and you don't have to change any settings to get it.

Trust me :)

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Technoir, i get dark bands down sides of my set especially noticable on panning shots across grass or in the sky, its like a long smugged fingerprint most distracting. I get this on didital tv to as well as dvd although it isnt as bad.
    I also bought my tosh [36" set] from QED if your engineer has any success let me know ive got one coming out soon as well, by the way do you live in s/land..

5. dn38416

dn38416

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is technoir im using my dreamcast with ajoypad and its a nightmare
    still waiting for the engineer after 3 days qed asure me hes on his way will let you no outcome.sounds like you have the same problem as me . r1 discs are much worse than r2 the stain shows up more probly because of pals better quality picture over ntsc.im from sulgrave washington will keep in touch

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Technoir i have been onto QED again! seems a engineer will be in touch might come to both of us on same day ,dont hope out for them to cure it this will be third engineer for me and one of them was a right muppet. Hope they dont send same bunch out, i was watching entrapment on sky tonight the fluctuation was getting right on my wick!
    I have more or less told guy at QED i want a different tv if it isnt sorted this time. :(

7. dn38416

dn38416

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks like i will have to maybe follow in your footsteps if they cannot fix it, and change from tosh as id hate for a repeat of this if its a common fault shame as i like the dam thing.

8. DPS

DPS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martian I rang QED this morning since the engineer still had not arrived or made any contact with me at all.They must of finally pulled there finger out because I then received a call from an engineer saying that he would call round tommorrow so hopefully some progress.
    Since you stated that you have had two engineers round to inspect this problem already did either have any idea about what could be causing the distortion.
    I seem to be having problems with the sound on my Tosh as well.When I switch to av1 to view dvd I can still hear audio coming through the speakers. Im sure this isnt the scart lead as its fully sheilded.So I will have to bring this matter up with the engineer to.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is engineer called a Mr M Singh Radio TV Video? These are coming out to me tomorrow as well, i hope, This company came out to me last time went into service menu checked a few things said it was within spec and told me these marks are are not unusual in a wide screen set as guns naturally want to fire into corners faster and a whole bunch of electronics has to be put in set to control this. Probabally if electronics dont do this very well you end up with problems like we see its quite common they said.. Anyway my other problem is fluctuation of contrast or and brightness spoiling mainly movies on sky , do you get thisas well?
    Another guy has same problems as me with his set from QED, got it same day as mine.

10. DPS

DPS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about the fluctuation in contrast although I have noticed occasionly when watching a film that the colour will suddenly switch to a different shade.I only remember this because me and my mates were watching one of there dvds on my tosh and this happened. My friend later said that he checked the disc at home later as he had noticed it earlier but saw no problems on the disc when viewed on his tv at that same scene dont know if this is in any way similar maybe Im just clutching at straws.
    If this fingerprint effect cannot be fixed and is considered normal or common on widescreen tvs is there any way of getting a replacement due to unsatisfactory performance from QED.I up graded from a standard 28in bush widescreen set which although considered cheap had a marvelous picture and had none of the problems Im now expereincing.Im not sure I can bare to be stuck with this effect as its certainly ruining my dvd viewing and as Im considering the fact that I want to upgrade to digital tv myself I dont want to be faced with it there to, as at present its barely visible but still present using analogue.

11. dn38416

dn38416

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after a week of waiting he came only he did nothing had a quick look noticed the problem then said they would get in contact with toshiba said id hear something in 7 days what a waste of a week i might ring qed and demand a replacement.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here mate! showed guy problems agreed with me about it said he would contact tosh and let me know.
    I will not be happy about handing tv over to be messed with if they are not sure what is cause i will also ask for a replacement or re-fund if i dont get some answers. Tosh i fear are going to bury their head in sand and deny a problem exists, which seems normal practice of manufacturers. :mad:

13. mondeoman

mondeoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys
    Thanks for the help initially, but why am I beimg mailed about your problems on my topic,i.e 32z17b.

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your right must apologize, ensure stereo is selected in set up menu on digi box, also if you daisy chain scarts through video and inadvertantly use vid tuner for sky [check if you are] make sure video is set to stereo.I dropped this bollock and was stuck in mono for a while video had another menu button under flap which audio selection could be altered it cycled through as L- THEN R- THEN L/R Last option was stereo hope this helps...i am outa here... :)

15. mondeoman

mondeoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks m8, your advice is correct and appreciated, just can't understand why I'm getting replies to other non-related issues.
    Anyway , as an aside just took delivery of a replacement set as the geometry wasn't right.

16. mondeoman

mondeoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just taken delivery of my 2nd tosh.32z and this one is going back next week, I have a shadow circle on the screen which is quite noticable,although the geometry is o.k.
    tv & video direct in bolton have been quite good about it and offered me a replacement straight away both times.

17. DPS

DPS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about the earlier posting, but I do own the 32z17b and have had problems since day 1 and was simply discussing those matters with other Tosh owners experiencing similar problems.
    Sounds like you may have a similar problem to me with your second set.

18. Beddie

Beddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I tried to answer this, see the 3rd post.

19. mondeoman

mondeoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tech-noir, no offence intended and thanks for your input, will let you know how set number 3 is.

20. DPS

DPS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mondeoman on to your 3rd set Im having trouble replacing my first with QED.Maybe I should of ordered from tv&video direct they seem very understanding are well to late now.

21. mondeoman

mondeoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Just received my 3rd Tosh.32z17b.
    Still not perfect,picture geometry still slightly out,and when looking at a blue screen there appears to be darker shading left and right, although not as noticeable as set number 2. which had a very noticable dark circle on screen at all times, (especially annoying on a light coloured background).
    Although I could probably exchange it again, I dont want to end up with something worse!
    I'll probably learn to live with it for the great pin sharp picture quality and decent sound.

22. DPS

DPS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have managed to exchange my 32z17b and have gone for a different manufacturer.I decided on the JVC 32ftw1 nicam set its had great reveiws and was a similar price.Didnt want to risk the same problem(annoying dark bands down sides) with another Tosh as this problem is becoming well documented on this forum with Tosh owners.The JVC is arriving on Wednesday so fingers crossed no problems