• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Toshiba 32WLT66

G

gauzzie77

Hi All,

I just bought a 32WLT66 and have hooked it up to my standard Telewest digital box (non HD) and my DVD player (also non HD) via two QED P2110 scart to scart cables.
While the picture is good I still feel that some times it looks a bit grainy.
Therefore I have two questions

1/ Using my current set up, can anyone recommend and tv settings or alternative cabling to improve the picture?

2/ Has anyone used this TV with a true HD source? If so, how good does the picture quality get?

Cheers

Ed

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
I have Pm'd Abbeygoo with the link to this thread - he has the 32WLT66 and is over the moon with it. I'm sure he'll provide you with his settings as he has had a good tinker with them in order to get them just right.

Dorian

Grain can definitely be got rid of. I was watching STII: The Wrath of Kahn on my 32WLT66 lastnight and there was less grain than there is on my CRT TV.

The following settings will reduce grain:

a) Sharpness
b) MPEG Noise Reduction
c) DNR

Careful with (c) though as turning it too high will make things a bit blurry.

G

gauzzie77

Guys thanks for the advice!

Spent the last hour or so trying some of the settings from the other thread :smashin:

Dorain, what kind of values do you recommend I use to reduce grain?

Also, you guys think that using the QED scart cables will give me the best quality from a non HD digi box?

Cheers

Ed

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
gauzzie77 said:
Guys thanks for the advice!

Spent the last hour or so trying some of the settings from the other thread :smashin:

Also, you guys think that using the QED scart cables will give me the best quality from a non HD digi box?

Cheers

Ed
I'm using the QED P2110 at the moment and I think its one of the best RGB Scarts money can buy. Its a shame that the picture still gets those horizontal lines through scart - upgrade to HD on Thursday will sort all that out thank you very much!

Dorian

gauzzie77 said:

Well try the MPEG NR and the DNR you should see any grain disappear before your eyes. Things can get a bit blurry though if you go ott.

Try DNR off, MPEG NR on low and sharpness on -10. I've got ITV1 on now on FreeView and it's got that daft Love Island on, and there's no real grain. I turned the sharpness back up and you could see a bit of MPEG blockiness, so put it back to -10.

I do notice a tendancy with these LCD panels though to fiddle with the settings on different programmes because there's so much you can adjust and improve. I had "The Fly" on lastnight on ITV2, picture was dreadful (the transmission not the TV) and I just sat there messing about with the picture settings for about 20 minutes!

Hope that helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom