1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32WL56P - PC Res Only 1216x648

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by cmspodwy, Sep 7, 2005.

1. cmspodwy

cmspodwy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hello all,

Got my Toshiba 32WL56P today (though digital direct forgot to deliver my free dvd the sods) and have not made up my mind so far whether I like it not not.

DVD through scart isn't as amazing as I had hoped (I know component is better, but does it really make that much of a difference?) and I am having problems with then PC input.

I have a Geforce 6800GT connected to the TV's HDMI port via a Profigold HDMI cable and HDMI->DVI-D adapter. The display works fine but I have to use nVidia's software to underscan the resolution to 1216x648 to fill the screen correctly. Forgive my ignorance but isn't the res supposed to be 1366x768 or something? DVD playback from the computer is worse than from my scart connected dvd player.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong :lease: ?

Cheers

cmspodwy

2. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think I read somewhere that you will only get 1:1 when using the VGA as the HMDI has overscan enabled.

3. cmspodwy

cmspodwy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Cheers for the response jtorry. Strange one though, I have plugged a vga cable into the tv and the graphics card and set the tv to VGA mode. When I turn on the computer the screen flashes and shows the boot up screen then then windows xp logo. After about 10-15 seconds the screen goes black and just continually flashes but nothing else appears on the screen.

Has anyone seen that before.

4. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    It's to do with your refresh rate and/or resolution. You'll need to start it in vga mode (hold ctrl at boot time) and set the resolution there, making sure you set the refresh rate to 60hz) then restart. It'll flicker a lot whilst starting up, but should be fine once in windows, where you can find a resolution that works.

5. cmspodwy

cmspodwy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Cheers BilBob I've mnaged to get it working now at 1360x768 in anologue mode by connecting the vga ports together with a d-sub cable. Looks sweet as a nut and much better than than the DVD to HDMI connection I had originally tried.

My question now (sorry guys, I'm such a noob to these things) is that because I have had to use the VGA port for my PC and not the HDMI port, as originally intended, does mean that the only way for me to use my component DVD player on this LCD TV is to keep swapping the vga adater to my PC with the VGA adapter to my DVD (15 Pin D-SubTo Component Cable)?

If so, is there some kind of switch/splitter available to flick between the cables as required?

Bit annoyed that the PC to HDMI connection doesn't do what I wanted it too. :oops:

6. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    VGA & Audio switch boxes are available, but you "MAY" be able to split the Digital and Analogue inputs of the HDMI connection. Which would in effect give you 2 VGA, and 1 DVI-D input (If it works).

Does the HDMI port allow DVI-A inputs?

I thought that was how Toshiba managed to get past the HDReady Analogue input requirement.

You would need VGA to DVI-I cable, and a HDMI to DVI adapter (which you probably have already got).

I do not have the Toshiba, but my TEVION has VGA and DVI-D inputs via the DVI-I socket.

I am sure someone will correct me, have you tried the search facility, there were a number of long threads on the Toshiba WL56's.

Did you use powerstrip for VGA 1360x768 (Tosh Manual states vga only supports 1024x768)?

Have you tried VGA 1366x768, or is it not on your PC's list of resolutions?

I am interested as I am tempted by the new 32WLT58, but main use is as HTPC monitor, so 1:1 is a neccessity.

7. cmspodwy

cmspodwy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Cheers for the response RockySpieler.

What I wanted of this tv was to plug my PC in the HDMI port and DVD in the VGA Component connection.

So I used a DVI-D->HDMI adapter plugged into my Geforce 6800GT and a HDMI cable joining that to the TV. The screen did display Windows XP but it wasn't fitted to the screen correctly. Going to nVidia properties showed the dislplay as Tosh TV using a digital signal and the only way I could get it to display correctly to the screen was to use the nVidia software to underscan the res to 1216x648. Although this fitted the screen correctly the colours were washed out and playing a dvd from the PC just looked horrible. :thumbsdow

So, I tried connecting to the VGA input with a D-Sub connector (fixed the prob with the flashing screen by resetting the resolution as it was still set from when using the digital signal). Now I get a perfect res of 1360x768 and colours look perfect. Checking the nVidia properties no longer shows the monitor as Tosh TV but just analogue. DVD playback is much better too and games (Battlefield 2) are awesome. :smashin:

But I'm disappointed to have to use the VGA input for my computer as I want component input for my DVD and don't want to have to keep changing the cables when required.

Interestingly enough, I am using the PC VGA option on the tv when using the VGA input. The next channel option available is YUV. Now as far as I know YUV is for component input but if the only component input is through the VGA input then what does this YUV channel do? :suicide:

8. cmspodwy

cmspodwy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    By the way, this TV's screen size is 80cm and not 81cm as listed on a lot of websites (including Toshiba's). Even the packaging box says V80cm.

The display is still awesome but I just thought I'd let you all know.

9. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Yep i have the 27 version and have to keep swaping when i want to change. I was thinking of sending my pc over with a vga to component into my compoent switch i wonder if i could get a pc over yuv channel then maybe at 1280*720.

10. cmspodwy

cmspodwy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sounds like you are in a similar situation to me Supermackem. There must be some kind of switch or splitter to have two inputs into one VGA connector.

Anyone got any ideas?

11. cmspodwy

cmspodwy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  12. cmspodwy

cmspodwy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    EDIT:: Forget about the below. I though it changed a DVI signal into HDMI better than the current method I'm using.

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?DVIFIX

13. cmspodwy

cmspodwy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Right, I have purchased this:

MONITOR SWITCHBOX
    A simple means of switching one computer between
    two monitors or one monitor between two computers
    (or indeed one monitor between a PC and a Kron).

Need some cables for this?

Buy this with two cables included

[MSB] £19.99 (£17.01 ex VAT) Add to order

From Keene Electronics. You can find this item by going to : http://www.keene.co.uk/ and enter in product code MSB.

I'll let you know what its like once I get it. (Hopefully I'll get my component DVD from Digital Direct UK in the next fews days too.) Interesting to see if there is any loss in signal quality going through the switch.

Big shout out to the man from cableuniverse.co.uk who put my in the direction of Keene. Very friendly and willing to help.

14. Drglord

Drglord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a toshiba 32wl56p and i connected my vga output of my gforce 7800gs and it only goes to 1024x768 with black bars on the side? I read that you run a resolution of 1360 x 768 as full screen with a vga adapter how exactly did you do that?

15. gaz2785

gaz2785

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    You need to add 1360x768 as a custom resolution to your PC. If you have an nVidia card you can do this (using Powerstrip is perhaps the easiest way).

I've had the same TV for a few months so if you have any other questions feel free to ask!