1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32wl56 switches itself off/on

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Searcher73, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Searcher73

Searcher73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I've had my Toshiba 32wl56 for 2 months now and I am extremley pleased with it, however since I got it there have been times it has switched itself off and then back on straight away, it happened twice in first week then 2/3weeks later again, in total it has probably happened around 6 or 7 times I know off.

It would be interesting to know if anyone else has experienced this with their toshiba's?

2. Searcher73

Searcher73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, has anyone else experienced this problem with a different set then, as it has done again last night and seems to be happening once a week that I know off?

Does anyone want to offer any advice; should I be thinking about reporting this to Toshiba? Or returning the set or what?

Any Toshiba owners want to comment on this, or is there any techie guy's out there that can offer some advice.

3. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I have the 27" and it seems fine, very pleased with it too!

I reckon you should report it to tosh, but they may say it was ok for them if it happens only on occasion.

very annoying nonetheless.

4. MADMAND

MADMAND
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Do you notice a buzzing sound sound coming through the speakers on your 27WL56 when on mute? as i am experiencing this problem although i have found a way to stop it by plugging in headphones.

5. Searcher73

Searcher73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Update.

I e'mailed Toshiba yesterday regarding my problem with my TV switching itself on/off and they have just responded stating my 32wl56 may not be working within their Performance Specifications and recommended that I contact them again with the serial number for further assistance?

I Will do this when I get home from work and update Tosh's response or solution.

6. Searcher73

Searcher73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I’ve just heard from Toshiba who have advised me they are sending a technician out to look at my television and have indicated that they may have to take the television away to repair it, but when I asked them if they would supply me with a replacement television if they take mine away I was told their policy was only to provide replacements if it was a Plasma Screen, hmmm.

Now I may be wrong but due to the type of intermittent problem with the television it’s probably unlikely they will find the fault whilst in my house and it is inevitable they will have to take it away.

Can anyone confirm what my statutory rights are in this situation as I don't like the prospect of watching a 14' crt for the next few days/weeks/months. Can I demand a complete new television or even my money back? Or do I have to give them the opportunity to repair it first?

Is anyone technical minded that can tell me what this type of fault is likely to be?

If they repair the television, is the fault the type that may return for example after the warranty expires?

What’s the best advice anyone can give me on this?

7. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I presume your TV is switching itself into standby mode and then back on? If so, could it be due to a faulty remote control? Have you eliminated that as the cause? Better to have a new remote than have your TV taken away...

8. Searcher73

Searcher73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Update on my problem with my 32WL56P.

Toshiba sent out a technician from a company called DCS Solutions Ltd on Monday who advised me that this was the first time he had heard of this problem with the 32WL56P, he scratched his head and advised he could do one of two things

1. Take TV away with him and see it switching off/on then attempt to find the fault - but added as the TV is switching off/on once a week/fortnight then I would be left without a TV.

Or

2. He would phone his technical contacts at Toshiba for further advice and get back to me.

Needless to say I opted for option 2 but as yet I am still waiting on his feedback so I decided to contact Play.com whom I purchased the TV from who without any resistance have agreed to uplift my faulty TV and send out a new one.

Only downside is that they advised me they can only send out my new TV when the faulty one has been picked up, however when I explained that I do not have the original packaging and recommended when new TV arrives that we simply use box etc it came with for the faulty one to be returned in, I was totally amazed that they were surprised that I hadn’t retained the boxes etc. Do these people expect everyone to keep this? Do these companies not appreciate the box for a 32 inch television for most people isn’t easily stored, and to be honest it was the last thing on my mind whilst I was setting the dam thing up that I may need to return the set 3 months later due to a fault! So I’ve been told by the supervisor that he will have to raise this issue with his line manager and get back to me.

Anyway at least I am getting somewhere but I am still a bit surprised that no one else is reporting this type of fault or am I just unlucky somehow that TV has developed this fault… interesting :confused: