1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32WL56 Connections

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Aceley, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Aceley

Aceley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am interested in buying the Toshiba 32WL56...

I have 2 PCs, a Couple of DVD Players and an RF TV Connection...

My question is, can i connect both PCs to this Television at once?

I can have DVI to HDMI no problem, but is there a 15 Pin, D-Sub PC Connection?

A photo of the connections would be much appriciated but not essential...

Thanks in advance...

2. Aceley

Aceley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone ?

3. cmspodwy

cmspodwy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Aceley, I bought the 32WL56 for pretty much the same reasons as you mate and got delivery last week.

The TV has one HDMI input and one VGA (15 pin D-Sub which also acts as a component input for DVD players with a component to VGA adapter).

First thing of note is that the tv is 80cm wide and not 81 as advertised everywhere, including toshs website. The box it comes in even says 80cm visable. Anyway, onto your question:

I plugged my Geforce 6800GT into the VGA input and immediately the nVidia drivers reported the display as an analogue signal and allowed a max resolution of 1360x768. The display is crisp and games run sweet as a nut.

Next I plugged the Geforce into the HDMI port via a HDMI cable and DVI->HDMI adapter. The computer logged into windows successfully and the nVidia driver reported the display as a Tosh TV. However, the the screen was oversized meaning that the edges were off the screen display and try as I might using the windows resolution adjuster I could not get the screen to fit the screen correctly. Further investigation showed that I had to use the nVidia software to underscan the display to 1216x648 pixels for the screen to fit correctly. Although this looks okay in windows, dvd playback didn't look that great and caused a big problem with games. While talking about games:

Battlefield2 - VGA Analogue Connection
    I play the game at 1024x768 and in this mode the game plays in full screen with the game stretched due to the lack of widescreen mode.

Battlefield2 - HDMI Digital Connection
    As soon as I play the game the display reverts back to a 4:3 aspect ratio at 1024x768 as there is no widescreen mode but there is no way to get it to fill the screen either by the game options of the tv display modes.

Heroes of the Pacific - VGA Analogue Connection
    Doesn't play due to the fact that the demo picks up the tv hi-def display modes. When I run the game I can hear the sound but the screen remains black. There are problems with this game's display modes which are noted on codemasters forums so it will be interesting once the full game comes out if the display is fixed. More worryingly I hope this doesn't mean that my computer display has problems with hi-def games in the future.

Heroes of the Pacific - HDMI Digital Connection
    The game plays well at 720P display mode but suffers from the overscan problem so the edges are missing. there is nowhere in the game to underscan and it appears that the underscanning facility with the nVidia driver only effects the windows shell and not the applications running on it (ie this game).

HDMI Overscan

On a previous post (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242130) JTorry noted "I think I read somewhere that you will only get 1:1 when using the VGA as the HMDI has overscan enabled."

Having looked into this I found the following statement from (http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/archive/i...hp/t-44842.html)
    "HDMI uses "overscan" so it's not completely suited for PC use, although you can use it, it just means the edges are cut off. There's really no point though, as you can get 1:1 mapping using either 1360x768 (16:9) or 1024x768 (4:3) over VGA, and I can't see the difference."

So, in summary, I have found that apparently the HDMI port is not designed for PC input (also confimed by Tosh support when I phoned them), overscans the display by default and it is not possible to run non-hidef games in full screen mode.

If anyone can shed any light on the HDMI overscan issue I'd be most grateful.

Cheers

cmspodwy

As a parting point, the TV is excellent and when paired with a Tosh SD-350E DVD (with upscaling capabilities) the picture is top notch.