1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32WL48P & Philips HDRW720/05 - small picture!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by peskywinnets, May 25, 2005.

1. peskywinnets

peskywinnets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Hi,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but having researched LCD TVs & HD recorders for my mum (she lives in the sticks *& doesn't receive digital nor wanted to shell out for Sky+!) I came up with the above combination....which she duly ordered.

I live a few hundred miles away so she had to get someone local to install. I asked her watch she thought of her new setup & she said she's "a little disappointed". It turns out that when she use the Philips it doesn't fill the screen "just a small picture with space around the edges"...from what I can gather Philips HD recorder is attached to the TV via a scart.

i reckon there has to be a setting somewhere on either the TV or the Philips HD recorder?

Any top tips as to what could be happening here (I'm up there at the weekend).

thanks,
    Pesky.

2. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll assume she's been recording 4:3 material on her recorder (to my knowledge, if she doesn't have sky digital or freeview etc, she won't be getting any 16x9 feeds apart from DVDs).

She's watching 4:3 material on the 16x9 screen. The Tosh will either stretch the pic, zoom in, or display it at the correct ratio with black bars on the left and right of the picture.

This probably explains the 'gaps round the edges'.

Ben

3. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    More likely is that the HD recorder is set to 4:3 letterbox? I assume the LCD is widescreen. That would give you a black border around the whole picture on a widescreen image.

Check the recorder settings, make sure it is set to output 16:9 widescreen.

matt

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read the model of the TV in the title. Of course it's widescreen! Pretty sure it's just the recorder set to 4:3 letterbox.

4. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would be true when watching widescreen images from DVDs, Freeview, Sky Digital etc..

Pesky,

Is you mum watching movie DVDs, or is she watching stuff she's recorded off the TV?

Ben