1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32WL48

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by justtourin1, Apr 8, 2005.

1. justtourin1

justtourin1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I'm new and this is my first post and all that...

It seems the debate about the now legendary Toshiba 32WL48 rumbles on. I find it hard to believe that no where has it stock !
    A couple of questions I hope someone can help with.
    Firstly, I've seen this model quoted on various web sites with letters at the end of the model code, typically like 32WL48 P or E ~ what do these
    additional letters mean ?
    Secondly, is it true that this model is already discontinued ? with talk that it will be very shortly replaced by the 32WL56 ? is this correct or is this totally different animal ?
    What would you consider to be a fair price to pay for the model (32WL48), if say you could get your hands on one today ? magazines have quoted £1700, some internet sites are
    quoting £1300-ish, but then again if they've not got them in stock what's the point.
    Does any one know anywhere (in the UK), today where you could actually walk into a shop and purchase one ??
    I'm sure I had another question but I can't remember at the mo !
    Thanks in advance
    Dave

2. sharoe

sharoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems the debate about the now legendary Toshiba 32WL48 rumbles on. I find it hard to believe that no where has it stock !
    That's you and several hundred others then, including me.

A couple of questions I hope someone can help with.
    Firstly, I've seen this model quoted on various web sites with letters at the end of the model code, typically like 32WL48 P or E ~ what do these
    additional letters mean ?
    They relate to the market the set is sold in.
    P = Pan European
    B = British (I think)
    E = Dunno (possibly extinct)
    G = Grey import (or so I'm told)

Secondly, is it true that this model is already discontinued ? with talk that it will be very shortly replaced by the 32WL56 ? is this correct or is this totally different animal ?
    Toshiba say they have been overwhelmed by demand. I suspect there must be more to it than that but what, I couldn't say.
    I haven't seen the UK specs for the 32WL56 yet. Sounds like it will be a direct replacement but possibly a slightly lesser beast. No component input?

What would you consider to be a fair price to pay for the model (32WL48), if say you could get your hands on one today ? magazines have quoted £1700, some internet sites are quoting £1300-ish, but then again if they've not got them in stock what's the point.
    If you want one I would stick with the £1300. The internet sites are as likely to get hold of them as anyone.

Does any one know anywhere (in the UK), today where you could actually walk into a shop and purchase one??
    No. If you could it'd be like an IKEA opening day.
    Short of burglary, which has been illegal since Moses fell down a mountain, you'll just have wait in the queue with the rest of us.

I'm sure I had another question but I can't remember at the mo !
    That's OK I didn't know the answer anyway.

Cheers

3. avnovice

avnovice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my name on a list since Jan 05 with TV Video Direct @ a reasonable GBP1270; last ETA was April 05 but still no sign. I have rung around various etailers but all say the same thing. My local tosh retailer said they could get one withing two weeks for GBP1350 but wanted payment up front - no chance. One etailer said it was going to be discontinued, however, I suspect this was ploy for me to buy something else from them. I can't believe Tosh would ditch it so soon - beware of the lower spec newbies. Anyway, I gave up and settled for a Hitachi 28LD5200. Has a 4* rating but at GBP799 from RS it certainly must be pushing for a 5th. Really pleased with it plus I have a few quid to spend elsewhere. It will do for couple of years until HD TV really takes off.