1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32WL48

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by kchapman, Nov 19, 2004.

1. kchapman

kchapman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just received a new Toshiba 32WL48 today. One issue is that I can't get auto switching to work, so I have to manually select the AV input. Has anyone else seen this issue?

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    How do you mean? Do you mean SCART's won't auto switch, or component/s-video inputs won't? If SCART's don't there may well be a problem (just double-check all cables are in securely), but I don't think auto-switching works with s-video (except over SCART), and never with component in my experience

3. kchapman

kchapman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's all devices connected, the DVD, Video and Sky+ box all have SCART connections, and the PS2 is just using 3 phone connectors. I'm using crap SCART cables...currently looking on teh web for IXO cables...but I can't believe all the cables, even the PS2 connection, would not auto-switch. I'm thinking that there may be a problem with the 32WL48 either in general or the one that I've just received.

4. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there.

Have just checked mine. I am only using Scart 1 as all devices are connected via an active scart box.

Auto-switching does work when an external device is powered up. This occurs whether the TV is previously set to a UHF channel or AV source.

Suggest that you diagnose by connecting to Scart 1 only, ensuring that your connector is fully-wired. Maybe one of your devices is holding the control voltage (Scart Pin 8) high and swamping the others.

5. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I also received my Toshiba 32WL48 yesterday, really enjoying it so far. I have a sky+ box and dvd player connected to Scart 1 & 2 with RGB output from both devices.

From tv, sky+ and dvd on standby, I turn the tv on to a tuner channel, I turn the sky+ box on and the TV switches to the first scart input, I turn the dvd on and the tv switches to the second scart input. Turning the dvd off it goes back to sky+, turning the sky+ off and it goes back to tuner.

Hope this helps.

I really love this TV by the way!!

Mark

6. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check the settings in the sources:
    e.g. In the Sky > Services > Picture Settings menu there is an option to turn scart control on or off. Obviously this needs to be on. The same should be an option in the DVD menu.
    VCRs normally send the signal when Play is pressed.
    Hope that solves it for you....

7. kchapman

kchapman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Swapped out a didgy SCART ant it alll started working, looks like Mike246 was right about something swmping the circuit. I know have everything working and am very happy with the TV, it even passed the wife test as it's a good looking box.

8. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Wow. That's the second time I've been right and its only November.

I agree 100% - it is a good-looking TV.

9. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got the IXOS XHT801-150 SCART to SCART for my Sky box and IXOS XPP04-200 PS2 component cable. Cost £54.95 and £28.95 respectively from hifistore.co.uk. Unbeatable had the SCART for less but not in stock. Very pleased with hifistore - delivered in less than 48hrs. Good cables definitely made a difference, especially to text. Was surprised by how much they improved the sound too

10. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Ginger, Mike and other owners of the 32WL48! May I ask you all how far you are sitting from your screen when watching it and what happens to the picture when you are up close?

I'm using your baseline settings Mike and so far so good, but I'm trying to convince myself that 2 metres from the screen is way too close as I can see pixelization and some kind of smearing from this distance on SKy+ over a scart RGB connection.

I picked up a Harmon Kardon DVD22 yesterday and some QED component cables and the situation gets better at the same distance, but not by much. Moving the screen to the corner (instead of centre) of the room and sitting further back and everything looks far better. I just want to make sure that i shouldnt be expecting a better picture so close to the screen!

Thanks!

11. estherjon

estherjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deep-6,

I was just about to ask exactly the same question when I saw your post! My issue is that it will be in a room where viewing distances will be between 8-14 feet from screen. If you guys who have one say it looks OK at 8-9 feet, I'll most likely go for it!......no pressure.....

Cheers,
    Jon

12. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Guys,

My viewing distance is 3 metres and no pixellation. If it were 2 or 4 metres, would it make any difference? I doubt it - if there is pixellation it is there at any distance!

In my humble view, assuming you have a decent signal (either terrestial or SKY) the Sharpness control needs to be correctly set. Too sharp and the 'magic square algorithm' will cause pixellation; too far the other way and transitional changes are graduated.

Mine's set at -5 and the picture is great.

13. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Mike,

Do you have sky digital? I have a Sky+ box, both inputs show the signal strength at full, but the signal quality is just over halfway. I've checked all the satellite signal cables and everything is firm. What is your signal strength/quality like?

I've pushed the set into the corner of the room, so I am a bit futher away, and I'm happy with the progressive scan picture over component from the DVD player. The sky box is connected via a QED scart, so I think the Sky picture is my only real problem as I watch that a lot. Picture has always been excellent on the old 28" sony CRT. The actual viewable screen on that was just 25"!

Jon, i'll do some measuring for you!

Thanks,
    Mark

14. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Deep-6,

I have Sky (not +) using an Amstrad decoder and a 10-metre scart lead. I know it sucks but is a temporary measure. Cannot quantify the signal strength but the picture is fine with no pixellation.

Have you adjusted the Sharpness control?

15. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sitting exactly 2 metres away, but I'm not looking straight on - probably about 30 deg. I don't notice any pixellation or obvious smearing - I've watched a fair amount of football on it and it looks fine - no motion blur either. When I first got the set I did have some noticeable noise on the picture which is why I shelled out for decent cables. I found that they reduced the noise completely. I'm using a standard Amstrad Sky+ box (brand new) and my SCART cable is only 1.5m long. The Sky signal strength & quality are about 70-80% on both inputs.

If I move 1m closer the picture looks grainy, which I assume is because I can start to pick out the pixels. If you watch one of the low rent Sky channels it has much the same effect (and it numbs your brain!). Moving 1m further away does make the picture look better but not by much.

The only issues I have with the picture are that it seems to lack depth of field, definition in dark scenes isn't the best, and images can look "embossed" against a light background. These seem to be inherent in all LCDs to some degree, and tweaking the picture settings makes a difference - I'm just trying to find the right balance. It certainly isn't something that spoils my viewing and I'm very happy with the set overall. :)

16. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Mike, I'm running at -5 Sharpness, in fact, the TV is using your recommended settings. I've tried tweaking here and there, but always return to your settings. They're great for me as I usually tend to stick to the defaults or presets that come with the TV! :blush:

Seating position is about 3 metres from screen, and DVDs over component look great, dare I say impressive!

My sky+ box was bought in August, Amstrad DRX180, maybe the same model as yours ginger, hooked up to scart one via a 1 metre QED Sqart AV21. The DVD is using QED Qunex P-CV1 component cables, with just a couple of Cambridge Audio Pearl phono cables running the sound from the DVD to the Tosh. No seperate audio amp yet, I need to give the credit cards some space! :)

Here's the signal strength from the box:

[​IMG]

At least the sky planner looks nice and crisp! Sky box is set to output RGB. I might try swapping the satellite feeds around on the box and see if the signal quality I might try hooking up a freeview box as we can get all channels, and the quality is very good on a regular CRT.

I was in a home entertainment shop yesterday and saw Shrek 2 running off a Harman Kardon DVD22 on a Loewe 32" LCD. I dont know the model number, but I'm happy to say it looks better running at home than it did on the £2000+ Loewe TV. But then, maybe I am a little biased.

I'm happy with the screen, so far I have tried sky, dvd, vga in and xbox and I'm happy with all, well, not quite with the Sky. Even the movie channels look a bit "low rent". Not as good as my mate's 43" Pioneer 434 and we were sitting maybe 15+ metres away from it. Silly question but is there any way to improve the quality of the signal as opposed to the strength short of mounting the dish higher or repointing it?

Sorry this post was too long! Will go and watch Lord of The Rings now!

Thanks!

17. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked the model of my Sky box only to discover that it's actually a Pace and not an Amstrad. I had an Amstrad since August but it kept overheating so I called Sky and they replaced it. Hadn't realised that the replacement was a different make (they look almost identical). I did notice that the quality bar improved on both channels after the replacement though I had just put that down to messing about with the connections - maybe the Pace box is better than the Amstrad?

It seems strange that you get such a difference between the 2 inputs - mine are almost identical. Could it be that one of your connections isn't made properly?

I've still not seen the full potential of this TV as I'm using my PS2 as a DVD player just now. Toying with the idea of getting a recorder with HDMI output when they're out depending on prices :smoke:

18. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've checked the satellite feeds to the back of the box, they are all tight, but a few months ago when I bought a second hand widescreen TV, I did extend the cables using the appropriate cable types and adaptors from Homebase. These were so I could move the TV further away from where the cables come into the house from the outside. Now that the new Tosh is in the corner and will probably stay there, I dont need the extra cable+adaptors so I will remove these and see if it makes a difference. I also have sky multiroom with a Panasonic box so will try that at some point. Or I could just sit back and enjoy the TV! :)

Speaking of HDMI, I haven't seen any recorders with that in action, but I did see a LINN player connected up via HDMI to a Pio 435 plasma yesterday. I have to say, even up close I liked the picture! The grain/noise was acceptable, take a few steps back and I was pretty impressed. The LINN was for sale at an eye watering £1000. A bit.., no...way too high, but is it worth it to connect to our Toshibas?

One tiny problem I've found on my Tosh is that with the thick QED sqart, thick QED component cables, some phono cables and the xbox scart, I cant fully close the cover to the panel! Ahh, I'm just nitpicking now! I'm keeping this tv, although I wouldn't mind seeing someone else's in action, just in case my panel is dodgy!!

Can I ask what you (Ginger) and everyone else is displaying their Toshes and other LCDs on? Right now, the ikea tunsta bench its on is very very temporary. I would love a glass stand on castors to display the TV on, but the alphasons and optimums of this world are oh so nice, and a bit costly for a bit of glass and metal. The Kenmark stands look ok, I saw a few in comet today, but are a bit too big. This is ideal for me. But so expensive. But Ginger, your signature makes me think I can afford it! :thumbsup:

19. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Deep-6,

Given that your Sky set-up is superior to mine, I can think of no reason why your picture should be any less than perfect.

Where do you live?

20. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

Hi Mike246, I'm in West London.

Something I've also been meaning to ask you and others....does anyone use any calibration dvds? I've heard of one by AVIA, and another by Kane (Digital Video Essentials?). Are these worthwile for configuring a new TV?

Cheers,
    Mark

21. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    I am curious but how does the menu interface look on the 32WL48?

On the 30WL46, none of the controls have a negative position. Backlight runs from 0-15. Sharpness runs from 0-12. Brightness/contast/colour run from 0-100.

On the 30WL46 the menu system is a blue window in the middle of the screen with a series of colour icons across the top of the window. Each icon has a menu of options that can be listed underneath it.

Jonathan

22. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Jonathan, i'm at work so can't check properly for you but some of the menu options are from 0 - x value, and others like the sharpness have their middle point set to 0 and then you can go lower or higher than 0.

I did download the manual from Stasia.net but cant for the life of me find the link now! Your description of the menu system sounds just like the one on mine. Are you thinking of buying one?

23. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got mine on an Optimum LCD8003SL AV stand - cost £179 from Unbeatable. Started with the castors on then decided it looked better with the castors off. I think the proportions of this stand match the Tosh perfectly

Attached Files:

24. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ginger, nice setup!

I went into a couple of Comet stores today and saw a wide range of stands, lots of inexpensive looking, but expensive Kenmarks and a few Alphasons. I picked up an Alphason AD3/51? for £170, a bit more than what I could have got it for on the net, but as usual, I wanted it there and then.

[​IMG]

No castors available, but like you, I think they look far better without them. As you can see its still a bit messy :blush: but I can take care of that this weekend.

Perhaps like the people in the Plasma forum we could have our own "Get your LCDs out for the lads" thread...if there isn't one already! :thumbsup:

25. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And I thought I had some cable tidying to do :D

All I need now is my big leather armchair, due to be delivered in a couple of weeks, and I'll never leave the house again!

26. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Could someone do me a favour please and tell me how much height distance there is between the bottom of the stand when the TV sits on a table and the top of the speaker?

Just trying to figure out if i can accomodate a centre speak just in front of it.

Thanks

27. patrik_f

patrik_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I still haven't been able to have a look at this one in any store. Spent hours driving on Sunday to John Lewis in Milton Keynes based on a phone conversation telling me it would be on display! Of course, once there, it wasn't. In fact, they didn't have a single Tosh on display!

How is the brightness on these displays? Did anyone here have this one or the "46" during summer, and was the picture watchable in daylight?

I'm thinking of ordering "blind". I guess I could return it if I'm unhappy. (Seems unlikely.)

Cheers!

28. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Patrik,

Brightness and Contrast are non-issues. Both my settings are round the 50% mark. Just shows what a nonsense it is that people get upset about spec'd contrast ratios.

29. patrik_f

patrik_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    OK, I'm going for it!
    Any on-line stores you guys recommend, and any that should be avoided?
    (Obviously, stores with the item stocked is a major bonus.)

Some options which all sell the Toshiba at around the £1300 mark:

Elecricals Centre
    Electrical World
    Electric Shop
    TV and Video Direct
    digital-point.co.uk

30. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I got mine from TV and Video direct. Ordered on Wednesday, received on Friday, they were even able to arrange delivery to my work address with some extra security checks. Very nice people at the end of their phone. They had around 13 instock when I ordered.

Patrick_f I ordered blind, actually, I should thank Mike246 as if he hadn't started this thread I wouldnt have searched long and hard to find a place with them in stock! Thanks Mike246!

I've seen a few other owners says it takes a bit of time to get used to the picture, and maybe for the tv to "break in", but for now, I'm quite satisfied with the picture from all sources. I will be in line for Sky HD whenever that is released!

Good luck!