1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32wl48 vs Phillips 32pf9976????

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by The Tonester, Feb 23, 2005.

1. The Tonester

The Tonester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm confused advice please.

had my heart set on the Tosh after doing reaserching this forum but getting impatient waiting for availability. Can't get one anywhere at the mo.

I've Had one on order for nearly 3 weeks now and I and it looks like its gonna be April before I'll get one in the house.

Seems the next best thing is to stump up somemore wedge and maybe go for the 9976. It certainly Looks good and it seems to have a slightly better spec. and hopefully it should be worth the extra £250-£300 ish.

Anyone "really" compared the two to save me the job of reading every 9976 thread out there. (as I've been through this already with the tosh!)

The 9976 is HDTV ready isn't it?

Ideally would like the 9986 but it's a tad too pricey n Mrs Tonester ain't exactlly chipping in.

HELP! - I'm and LCD desperado!

2. BlueDonkey

BlueDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to London the other weekend to look at LCD sets. In John Lewis, they had the Tosh and the Philips side by side. I was initially thinking of the Tosh as it had HDMI, but on seeing them together I have since bought the Philips (I received it yesterday).

I took a DVD along so I could compare them with a decent picture that I knew (not the crappy aerial feed they use in the shop), and tried to set them up as similar as possible, turning of all the noise reduction and sharpening crap I could. There is no doubt in my mind that the Philips is a *far* superiour set. The contrast ratio is superior, colour is better defined and motion artefacts are almost non-existent. Having got it home and watched Star Trek VI on it last night, I would however say that LCDs still have a long way to go before they match CRTs. Watching in a dark room, there is a significant "glow" from the set when displaying blacks. The Philips set has a contrast ratio of 800:1 which is up there with the Sharps of this world, but it's no match for a CRT.

Another issue I still need to get to the bottom of is that the panel is 1366*768, but connecting my DVD players HDMI output only results in a 1280*720 picture - Doh. Connecting RGB over scart works fine though.

I managed to get my local JL (Cambridge) to pricematch a local shop and got the set for £1600.

3. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    surley thats a good thing, ya dont want it upscaling to 1366*768 and ruining a perfect picture.

although then i suppose you would get black space all around the image.

damn why dont they make all LCD's with 1280*720 native res! (yea i know some are)

4. BlueDonkey

BlueDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It turns my brand new 32" set into a 30" set. As the source is PAL, it's already going through a scaler, so surely scaling to the correct resolution for the LCD panel shouldn't be much of a problem.

I' m currently trying to work out whether it's the set that's at fault (for not admitting it's 1366*768) or the DVD player at fault for only wanting to do 720p.

Connecting via scart (RGB) The TV scales correctly.