Toshiba 32WL48 spotted in high street

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Nelmo, Mar 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Nelmo

Nelmo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :devil: Yup, John Lewis in Norwich have one on display but, as with the rest of the civilised world, none in stock. I'm tempted to make them an offer just to get the thing...

So, my question is: has anyone recently managed to buy one of these famed beasts? If so, please divulge the secret (privately first, of course, so I can get mine before anyone else :D ).

2. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Just got a phone call from Hughes Electrical in Norwich. I've been waiting for a 32wl48. The guy told me he has again spoken to Toshiba UK and no sets will be delivered till next month. If then. I now have to decide what to do.Maybe toshiba arewaiting for the 56 range to be ready. He told me they have them on order already but no details and no delivery date.

3. Nelmo

Nelmo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've mailed Toshiba UK who said mid-March and I then emailed Toshiba in Japan (dedicated, huh?). They said they would be sending more over but no idea when. The replacement 32WL56 is actually going to be slighlty LOWER spec than the WL48 (they didn't elaborate how) and is due some time in the summer.

4. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I think according to the german toshiba site it doesn't have any component connections. Just the HDMI. There is a thread on here somewhere if I remember right. I still don't know what to do. I want a new tv now.

5. Howardlee

Howardlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've the seen the german brochure, and there is no component input. Also there are only 2 scarts and only one these is RGB. I originally cancelled my 32wl48 in order to wait and see the spec of 32wl56. I've now re-ordered the 32wl48.

6. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I gave up waiting and ordered the philips 329986. It's coming on friday.

7. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The 32WL48 is actually built in the UK, well thats what it said on the box mine came in.

8. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how you finding your Tosh nemo ?

I had one on order since mid December gave up at the end of March and switched to the Sharp LC32GA3E which I was then told was not being shipped to the UK...so I'm now waiting on a GA5E which doesn't isn't futureproof I know, but hell I just want a set now.....or should I stick it out for the Tosh ?

either way I will probably get a new one in a couple of years... :smashin:

9. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Very happy with it, I also considered the GA3 but prefered the styling of the Tosh. I have read on other threads about poor picture quality on Terrestrial TV and SKY but must say I was very surprised at how good the quality of the picture from these sources are (IMHO). Another thing I have noticed is that there have been reports on this site and in some magazines of a grainy picture via the HDMI input. I have a pioneer 868 connected via HDMI and find the picture quality seems to depend on the actual encoding of the disc. For example the Day after tomorrow, there is not one bit of grain in the picture from this disc even when viewed close to the screen but on the other hand Dog soldiers is full of grain.

10. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I'm interested in getting one of these sets (if one can be found!) and wondered what it is like when running a PC into it through the VGA port. Is the picture as good as a dedicated LCD monitor?

11. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've tried my Dell laptop into the VGA port and it works a treat. Couldn't get the associated sound jack to work though - probably didn't try hard enough.