1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32WL48 Reviewed in What HI FI

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by TCD, Dec 20, 2004.

1. TCD

TCD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 32WL48 has been reviewed in this months What HiFi Sound & Vision.

They gave it 5*'s but said it had a major problem with the HDMI input. They said the picture was quite poor and grainy through HDMI (they tried various players). They said you would be better off using RGB scart let alone component.

Apologies for yet another 32WL48 thread but I just wanted to know your views.

I was going to get a HDMI player in the New Year to go with my 32WL48 but after reading the review I don't think I will bother.

What do you guys think? Have you tried HDMI yet? Is it grainy and worse than RGB/Component?

Cheers

TCD

2. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Weird. I saw a review for the 26WL46 which said that the picture on SCART was better than component. I'm not sure what glasses they were wearing at the time though as on mine the component is noticeably better than SCART. This is the case regardless of whether I use the freebie component that came with my player of the top notch cable I got from Mark Grant (which is noticeably better than the freebie component cable). Unless it's more to do with the DVD player than the screen?

3. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Got my tosh connected to a pioneer 868 via HDMI. Because I've only had the screen for a little over a week only had time to watch a few dvds but those that I have watched did not have any grain atall. i.e Day after tomorrow, Gladiator and Ronin to name but a few.

4. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been holding off getting a 32WL48 until I could a) read some mag reviews and b) see one in action. Unfortunately I live in deepest Scotland and Glasgow JL have only just got one on display, which I haven't had a chance to see yet. Although judging by the positive reaction on this site, I was beginning to regret not ordering one in time for Xmas.

But now I am intrigued about this supposed problem with quality via the HDMI input - however, mags do sometimes get it wrong. But if they tried several players, they must have found a genuine issue. Which is a shame because I wanted to get a TV that is futureproof and can eventually be connected into a HDMI only system. i.e. HDMI DVD and AV amp.

What issue of the mag was it and what other positives/negatives did they find.

5. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    They said it was excellent basically, other than grainy HDMI pic. 5 starts given anyway. I can't recall a single user mentioning any HDMI probs so I would put it down as a one off.

It is in the latest What HI FI mag, I believe it is also to be reviewed in What TV & Video this month (out 31/12). They are reviewing a number of HDMI products.

6. NadXB

NadXB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have got the 32WL48 connected to a Panasonic DVDS97EBS via HDMI. The player is running in 720P and there is no noise or grain on the picture. After reading the What HiFi review I tested the RBG quality (using a very good ixos scart) and then the component. HDMI is definately much better than any other option and I really can't understand where the review is coming from.
    If I were you, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the review-maybe they had a dodgy set or a crap HDMI cable.