1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32WL48 problems....help?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Damian1978, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Hi chaps,

Got my 32WL48 on Tuesday from QED.

Initial impressions were good but after a few days I've noticed a few problems.

The backlight seems a tad darker at the far bottom left. I got it looking better after cleaning the screen which leads me on to......the screen clicks and moves in (marginally) at the top and bottom right of the screen, plus the gap between casing is more prominent there.

I get a strange 2" green tinted bar at the top of my picture when using my Humax PVR in RGB through the sets scart sockets. It only affect that unit though!

I've noticed what looks like dot crawl/noise on static menus (even on component video from £75 component leads fed from a Toshiba SD900e).

Its very difficult to get a good depth in dark pictures especially blacks, like widescreen borders. Its almost as if you are looking off centre at the screen.

QED want it back to asses the problems and if necessary replace or accept a return (with a cost of postage to me). I'm now tempted to go the plasma route as I want a good reproduction of black as I had on CRT.

I do like the set and it seems to be improving but has anyone else had any issues like these?

Thanks,

Damian

2. Elsie Dee

Elsie Dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't get any of the problems you describe from my 32WL48.

Either side of the top of the screen does click and move a couple of millimetres if you press it but I hadn't noticed this until I just tried it. This is so minor that I don't class it as a problem - and I'm fussy. There is no noticeable gap around the casing.

I took my first one back to QED because of a single dead pixel. They were good about it and refunded me because they couldn't get any more stock at the time. It took about a month for me to get another elsewhere.

This one is perfect and I'm really glad I perservered. We've just watched Top Gun on DVD and it was great visually. The roar of the jet engines was equally impressive through TV's own speakers.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Dave

3. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Thanks for the reply.

I've tried the VGA input this afternoon.

Using Win DVD 6 DVD's looked good, but there's a fair amount of solarisation in the picture as a whole. Its mainly noticed on video but was there on graphics to (to a lesser extent).

A particularily bad example of this can be seen in Kill Bill Vo1 where "Black Mamba" clambers into the Pussy Wagon. The red leather seats are pretty awful and the colour is banded.

Connecting back to my 17" TFT Sony panel the picture is fine, even when zoomed in and its running at a higher resolution to. However I use a DVI connection for that.

Is this normal behaviour?

4. Elsie Dee

Elsie Dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damian,

I think you do have a problem.

I use cheap component leads and get a superb picture on DVDs. RGB digital through scart and anologue through the aerial are similarly good. Colours are bright, well produced and without banding. We watched Stuart Little 2 on DVD this afternoon and the colours on that were simply outstanding. If you are complaining about the colours something has to be amiss.

It could be a problem with your DVD player but if it's that bad on your 32WL48 there should be some sign on your 17" Sony. Do you get the same problems on broadcast TV?

If you still think it's the TV, send it back if you're within seven working days of receiving it if not get QED to check it out.

Dave

5. chris210972

chris210972
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i general what do u think of this tv, i'm thinking of getting one however i'm a little put off by its appearence.
    it looks very bland.

however its the picture quality that counts.

what is sky/cable like?
    has anyone hooked it up to a hdmi/dvi dvd player, if so what are the results?

6. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Thanks for the reply, Dave.

Out of all my sources the Toshiba SD900e looks or rather looked the best (the TV is now packed up in its boxed to be picked up tomorrow). But even that had a harsh apperance.

I thought pictures from the tuner were pretty bad and I have a pretty strong signal to. I tried tweaking it but could'nt get much out of it. All pictures had some form of noise round the edges. I'm not sure if its digital processing (I'm not a huge fan of it) but made all the edges too harsh.

I really hope this sets a duffer as, for the very least, I won't be out of pocket and I would like to have one of these sets. The connectivity and future proofing can't be found for the price.

Doh! Guess its in the hands of QED now as I'm relegated to using the 14" Bush portable DVD combi from my bedroom. :(

7. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I note the apparent faults which you mention but don't have any of these on my 32WL48. I wonder what viewing distance you are using and whether these manifest themselves at this distance or close up. If looking, close up you will see all sorts of crap, including dot crawl.

8. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Hi,

I was about 2 metres away. Could see noise around the edges from there but the noise on static menus was harder to see but obvious when closer.

9. Elsie Dee

Elsie Dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,

Looks are a matter of personal choice. It's not the most beautiful TV but it's not ugly either. Picture quality is really very good but it does demand a good quality signal. Sky is not it so don't expect a great picture. All similar LCDs will produce similar results with Sky. I don't have cable or HDMI/DVI so I can't comment.

Dave