toshiba 32wl48 owners please help!

chris210972

Ex Member
Reaction score
hi there,
my brother is planning on getting this tv and i was hoping u could help me out.
i own a philips 329986 and he loves it, however it is a little over his budget @ 2000.00

i have recommended the toshiba based on the views of this forum,

is the toshiba worth buying and how good do u rate it (or not)

thanks

I haven't got mine yet, but I have ordered it today from QED for £1229.00 :clap: so not quite as expensive as you thought.

sorry, my mistake.
yes i realize its 1300.00 (ish) i was just hoping that any owners could give me thier opinions especailly any one who has connected via hdmi to a compatible dvd player.

Chris,

I got mine first on this forum in mid-October so hopefully my opinion is of some merit.

The build quality is pure Toshiba and the picture is excellent, both on terrestial and SKY. Hopping between inputs could be slicker but it is no big deal. The set looked fine on the stand but I decided I wanted to wall-mount it. Built a false plasterboard wall (to hide the cables) and set about getting a wall-bracket. Universal ones are no good for this set because the mountings are set near the perimeter; had to get a Vogels mount as Tosh recommended which cost loads.

The 32WL48 has loads of connectivity and the dynamic picture perfomance is as good as the best - compare in a TV shop which has loads on display together. The only disappointment is the sound - it is really 3 out of 5. I discussed this with Toshiba who said the LCD/Plasma sets have inferior sound to CRT sets because of the lack of space for speaker magnets. They agreed that because the speaker panel is at the bottom, the surface area is half of that for side speakers and therefore this compounds the issue.

To overcome this, I bought a Tosh home-cinema system with 6 speakers. I thought one remote would control all, but this is not the case. I have given Tosh a bollocking on this.

I guess what I saved on the tele, I spent on the wall-mount and the home-cinema. Also Samsung seem to have brought out an HDMI-compliant DVD player at £ 150 which I would have got instead of the home-cinema. Ho-hum!

Would advise any prospective purchaser to compare the sound quality with others on their shortlist. Otherwise no regrets.

chris210972 said:
hi there,
my brother is planning on getting this tv and i was hoping u could help me out.
i own a philips 329986 and he loves it, however it is a little over his budget @ 2000.00

i have recommended the toshiba based on the views of this forum,

is the toshiba worth buying and how good do u rate it (or not)

thanks
Just thought I'd pop my nose in here Chris. If your brother is a big fan of the 9986 but cant afford it, hozabout the 9976? £1400 and it is almost identical to the 9986 feature wise...Differences are: PP1, no Ambilight. That's it! It's also smaller at 875mm. Fully HDTV ready - same connections as 9986.
Just thought I'd mention it...

Better picture specs than the Tosh...800:1 Contrast Ratio (600 or 500:1 Tosh) 12ms Pixel Response. (16ms Tosh).

The Tosh is a good TV though, so go for it if his heart is set...

Jimmy

Jimsan, where did you get your pixel response time for the Tosh? I've seen it quoted frequently as 12ms or even 8ms but never 16ms

ginger said:
Jimsan, where did you get your pixel response time for the Tosh? I've seen it quoted frequently as 12ms or even 8ms but never 16ms
I wouldn't worry too much, untill all manufacturers measure the response time in the same manner these times are irrelevant

Do you have any evidence to support this? It is true of contrast ratio but not of LED switching times.

The response time is universally understood as OFF - ON - OFF.

Toshiba quote 8mS for those used in the 32WL48.

ginger said:
I have had a ratch about, looking for definative Pixel Response speeds for this Tosh. Most sites don't list it all, but those that do bear out what a fickle measurement this is. Two German sites had it at 15ms (!?) an Australian one at 25ms and another foreign site at 10ms.....

Take your pick! I mentioned 16ms, as this is the speed that the 32WL46 runs at. My mistake, possibly.

Jimmy

Mike246 said:
Do you have any evidence to support this? It is true of contrast ratio but not of LED switching times.

The response time is universally understood as OFF - ON - OFF.

Toshiba quote 8mS for those used in the 32WL48.
There was an excellent article in a magazine i have at home...will let you know when i get home tonight.

Most response time seems to be between 12 - 18 so it is strange that the toshiba is at least 33% better then any other panel..despite being relatively cheaper...philips quote 12ms for instance on their 'widely' regarded as being the best lcd - 9986.

Ok...to quote the article..

Manufacturers should measure their response time by measuring the speed at which the panel changes from full black to full white.

However to cook the books manufacturers can measure the time taken to change from grey to white or even worse from dark grey to light grey.

scrapbook said:
Most response time seems to be between 12 - 18 so it is strange that the toshiba is at least 33% better then any other panel..despite being relatively cheaper...philips quote 12ms for instance on their 'widely' regarded as being the best lcd - 9986.

8ms for the tosh is believable as everyone who owns one has said there is no smearing and tosh announced LCD panels for 2005 with 5ms responce times. So reducing response times are quite clearly something that's high on toshiba's priority.

As for 9986 being the being regarded the best, that's only down to the PP2, which does nothing for high definition signals. With HD Sky or HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, I doubt you'd see much difference between the two.

I also think cost is irrelevant, the extra you pay for the 9986 is for PP2 technology. I'd rather have the cash and have the option to buy a scaler or not.

Forest Fan said:
8ms for the tosh is believable as everyone who owns one has said there is no smearing and tosh announced LCD panels for 2005 with 5ms responce times.
IF Toshiba are measuring their response times differently from say sharp (who use the full black to full white method) then announcing a response time of 5ms means nothing.

By all accounts there is no smearing on most of the LCD's that are highly recommended on this forum.

Forest Fan said:
everyone who owns one has said there is no smearing
and at the end of the day i guess that is all that matters irrespective of how it is measured

Also close to ordering a 32WL48 - can anyone tell me if the stand is fixed or if it rotates at all??

As for 9986 being the being regarded the best, that's only down to the PP2, which does nothing for high definition signals. With HD Sky or HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, I doubt you'd see much difference between the two.
You're right, Forest Fan, the PixelPlus2 is responsible for a fair percentage of the extra cost of the 9986. But what an important part of the package it is! Sure, when it comes to HiDef, the PP2 becomes redundant, but the vast majority of customers for these TV's are going to need a TV that performs miracles with crummy current broadcast quality! It can't be ignored.
I also think cost is irrelevant, the extra you pay for the 9986 is for PP2 technology. I'd rather have the cash and have the option to buy a scaler or not
There will come a time, perhaps 10 - 15 years in the future, when digital processing will be virtually unnecessary. Until then, Forest Fan, I'm afraid the likes of PP2 will continue to soak up a fair percentage of your TV budget.

I also have to say that it is not only the PP2 that makes the Philips 9986 the present LCD king. It may seem trivial, but the Ambilight experience is worthy of comment. This, literally, adds a whole new dimension to TV viewing, and I'm surprised other manufacturers aren't jumping on the 'room ambience' bandwagon...I expect they will soon.

Jimmy

Freeloader said:
Also close to ordering a 32WL48 - can anyone tell me if the stand is fixed or if it rotates at all??
if my memory serves me right it rotates about 15 degrees

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom