1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32WL48 LCD TV owners?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Damian1978, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Hi chaps.

Firstly, Happy New Year!

Anyway, I'm thinking of ordering the above TV. Have'nt seen one "in the flesh" but did see quite a few LCD's at Martin Dawes yesterday, including the 32WL46 and was very impressed considering it was a DVD of Shrek 2 piped through all the set via RF.

So 32WL48 owners. Has anyone had a problems with their sets?

Any pixels out?

Whistling from the transformer?

Is the sets HDMI connector HDCP compliant?

Ta!

2. Elsie Dee

Elsie Dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had two 32WL48's. The first one had just one dead pixel and I took that one back. My second one is perfect and I'm extremely happy with it. No whistling whatsoever and I believe it is HDCP compliant. I've not used the HDMI connector but it's nice to have it for possible future use.

I use it with the new Sony RDR GDX500 DVD Recorder which produces excellent DVD and Freeview pictures. Analogue through our aerial isn't quite as good but Sky was so poor I disconnected it. The sound is good with a surprising amount of bass. I really have no criticisms of the TV and I would buy again at the price without hesitation.

Should you decide to buy you may be interested in my experience with suppliers. I bought the first TV from QED and they were very good about taking it back. They were unable to supply a replacement because of problems obtaining stocks before Christmas. If they have stock I would recommend them. I would also recommend TV and Video Direct who supplied my second set, though they may not accept returns for minor screen defects. Avoid Electricals Centre like the plague.

I hope this helps.

Dave

3. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Cheers.

I was thinking of BE Direct but I'll check out QED as I've used them before.

I hope mines defect free. It took me ages to get a decent pixel defect free TFT panel a few years back but when I replaced one with my new Sony it was fine from the start.

The majority of viewing will be from my Humax Freeview PVR and then my Toshiba SD900e.

Any blurring on fast motion?

4. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well I’m on my fourth set. The first had six dead pixels and a torch like effect in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. The 2nd was perfect until 48 hours old when it developed a green tint about 2 inches high across the screen. The 3rd unit had a very grainy and what I’d describe as out of focus image on all sources i.e. TV/SKY/DVD, (Fortunately because I had already had the previous set I recognised this was a problem otherwise I would have just assumed this was normal for this model). And the 4th set which I’ve had for 24 hours is okay.

Thankfully John Lewis who I got my TV from have been great and replaced the set each time without question.

The HDMI connector is HDCP compliant and the picture I get from it when using my pioneer 868 is flawless.

5. Elsie Dee

Elsie Dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 20" LCD which sometimes shows tearing on fast motion but no such problems with the 32WL48. I compared the fighting scenes in Gladiator when the TV first arrived and the 32WL48 was faultless. The only artefacts, smearing, blockiness or blurry picture problems I've seen at a viewing distance (about 6 feet+) relate to poorer quality and mainly older source material such as classic comedies.

6. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Hmmmm....3 dodgy sets is a little worrying.

Do you have a link for the set on QED's website?

I can't find it :oops:

7. Elsie Dee

Elsie Dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did notice that QED took the TV off the site before Christmas, presumably because of supply problems. When I last checked they were about £100 cheaper than their rivals so I presume they were having to disappoint a lot of prospective customers. I think I read on the forum somewhere that they were expecting some in the New Year so it may be worth ringing them.

8. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  9. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Don't let that put you off (after all my middle name is UNLUCKY) The 32WL48 is a cracking TV.

10. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Well I have my fair share of problems with stuff but have normally had a hassle free time from Toshiba.

I'm off all next week so the temptation to order one now is great but I've not seen on yet and I need to shift my old TV.

Hmmm......

11. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    How bigs the box on this set?

Easy enough to get through a door and up the stairs?

Is the stand easy to set up?

Cheers.

12. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If I had seen this post yesterday I could have given you the exact dimensions but I got rid of the box this morning.

Yeah, you should not have a problem, the set itself is not that heavy but it would help to have an extra pair of hands due to the length of the box it comes in.

The stand is already attached to the screen.

13. Eddy Kins

Eddy Kins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had mine for about a month and have noticed one stuck pixel although it's effect on normal viewing is unoticable.
    Apart from this I am thrilled with the set :smashin:

14. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Hi,

Just had an email from TV and Video Direct who said the TV will not be replaced unless it has 5 - 6 missing pixels (I'd be very dissapointed at 1!).

So it looks like I may see QED. Are they fine for replacing under these circumstances? I don't want to risk it otherwise.

:(

15. Hunterm8

Hunterm8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont forget you have the distance selling regs which means you can return after a week and get money back even if there is nothing wrong! so if it has 1 stuck pixel use this..although you have to pay postage.

16. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Yeah I did think of that, however all sites seem to say it has to be returned "unopened" or "as new".

QED's site has a disclaimer about pixels not working but TV and Video Direct and BE Direct don't. BE Direct don't have any in stock though.

I've kinda ordered it from TV and Video Direct but the site crashed on payment details so I expect a phone call from them some time.

Tis nerve wracking I tell thee!!