Toshiba 32WL48 HDMI Input

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by TCD, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. TCD

TCD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard mixed opinions/reviews about the HDMI input on the 32WL48 (main one being bad through What Hi Fi)

I have a 32WL48 currently connected via IXOS Component Lead to a Panasonic S75. I am happy with the quality of the picture at current.

Firstly my question is.. has any of you guys connected the 32WL48 via HDMI? If so:

To what players? Is the pic quality as good as component?
    Did you compare component against HDMI if so views please.

Secondly I am considering purchasing the Samsung HD945 and will of course use HDMI. However I do not want to fork out say £150 for the player and another £50 for a decent HDMI lead to find the picture quality is no better.

Should I go for HDMI through a new DVD player or stick with component?

Please help as I am going round in circles!

Cheers

TCD

2. Howardlee

Howardlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not entirly sure if you're gonna see a big improvement over HDMI for the following reasons.

When the tv is fed standard res over component it scales it to fit the screen dimension 1366 x 768.

When you use a dvd player that upscales to 720p (1280 X 720) and when fed into the TV it scales 720p to 1366 x 768. Therefore the video has been scaled twice. I can't see how this can be good for maintaining picture quality.

ok, HDMI is digital, but scaling standard resolution video twice can't be any better than scaling a video once and playing through component.

HDMI will only really come in to its own when true Hi-def arrives.

Philips LCD's got around this problem by not scaling the video leaving black bars around the video. Can't say I like that solution either.

3. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +556
    If i was you i'd stick with component, picture quality improvements over HDMI are minimal at the moment - save your upgrade until hi def DVD comes along

5. TCD

TCD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the thread Ginger, I found that after I had posted mine :suicide:

Thanks for your replies guys, I will wait for HD-DVD!

TCD