1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32WL48 - does anybody actually own one of these?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by APC, Nov 10, 2004.

1. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering. Lots of talk about this set but concrete info is difficult to come by. I'm guessing that of all the forum readers only Mike246 has one. I'd like to be wrong, because there are things we'd all like to know in a bit more detail, such as its compatibility with a PC, for instance. So if you have one, let us know your experiences! :)

Cheers.

2. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol mate from what ive read about 4 or 5 people have it that ive saw try reading the threads a little more !

3. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm... been following the Tosh threads since the beginning. A few people have ordered one, but no evidence of anyone actually having one in their hands (apart from Mike246), as far as I can see!

4. alfie786

alfie786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Geee that thread is so long... i have placed attachments in the threads stating i have one with pics!! I was unable to take side pics as its against my wall. Pics from the front is easy. Also shown pics with my xbox playing Halo 2!!

The quality is decent, very good with pc input but can be better if dvi was there. It is clearer than any crt tv, sharp and bright, brilliant. If ur not always using the pc then its fine else i think dvi would be better.

Pq is excellent, you need to sit at least 2-3 metres not to see pixels as i have crap signal. I have ordered a samsung 945 with hdmi, wait and see re PQ from that, should be here either friday or monday i hope!!. Component from my ps2 playing DVD is awesome.

No blurring at all from pc or from fast moving images on telly.
    The picture is so clear i see things which i never did on my sony crt 32" especially in LOTR. Darkeness is brill but could be better, im still a novice a lcd but to me I am chuffed. Changing of channels is bloody slow! this tv is brill but is sharp had hdmi out i would have gone with them woudl love to try them out as they def look better in build quality, tosh aint bad. Cant complain for the price for a 32" lcd. Sorry about the bad english literature used.. too much mirc.

Attached Files:

5. alfie786

alfie786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Here is another emjoy! :cool: please remember this is from a dvd which is not the full original a rip in fact to dvd5 so normally better than that on the set. :eek:

No probs APC happy to help out. Oh yeh please check page 9 of the long thread about recieving my tosh blah blah.. more pics.

Attached Files:

6. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alfie, really sorry to have left you out! :blush:

Thanks for the pics. :thumbsup:

7. TCD

TCD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own one too so any questions I may be able to help!

8. chojin

chojin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    i'll know at about 3pm today if i'll own one tomorrow.. ;)

9. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey thanks TCD!

The TV has an HDMI socket. HDMI is supposed to be fully compatible with DVI. Most Home Cinema PC users and many with good spec DVD players will want to go from the DVI output on their graphics card/DVD player to the HDMI input on the Toshiba, because it gives the highest possible quality (in theory anyway).

BUT, so far, no-one can say if this will actually work. A lot of confusion was caused by a single line in the Toshiba manual on the Singapore site which stated 'This TV is not intended for connection to and should not be used with a PC'. This was in the section detailing the HDMI input. None of the other manuals that I've found on other sites say this. It could be that Tosh have broken compatibility with DVI and are keeping quiet about it, or it could be any number of reasons, like they don't want to be inundated with queries about resolutions, powerstrip etc, so have just played safe.

So the BIG question for those who want to use the screen with their Home Cinema PC or DVI-equipped DVD player is: have you tried it?!

Sorry for the long post. :suicide:

Tosh Singapore manual is here:
    http://www.toshiba.com.sg/__48256BAC0062814D.nsf/webDocuments/TSPS-65QCXT

10. alfie786

alfie786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    im waiting for my samsung with dvi and hdmi to see what's it like soon as i know ill let u know. I know with HDTV it will be AWesomE!!

11. TCD

TCD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry APC I do not own a PC and am considering buying an HDMI DVD in the next month or two!

12. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have one (Tosh) & I tried it last night with my Denon 3910 using an HDMI cable - it's bloody brilliant.

I have to say, this is the best TV I've owned by a long long way.

By the way - don't suppose anyone would have discrete IR codes, for a Pronto, for things like AV selection?

Paul

13. alfie786

alfie786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hey nice one pcavelle, hdmi cable no adapter used or straight hdmi to hdmi?
    I wish norm tv was in hdtv, cant wait for hd sky :)

Pcavelle do u think that the hdmi is better than dvi or just the same? Plus could u move the definition to 720?

Thanks

14. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sorry for the long wait to this question.

I tried it with a 2m HDMI-DVi cable and a 12m HDMI cable, the picture was exactly the same, as it should be.

Using any DVi cable means, of course, running separate phonos for the sound, as it's video only.

Paul

15. alfie786

alfie786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    12m hdmi dan thats must of cost a bit!!

can u get 720dp whatver u call it on the tosh?

can u send a pic with the HDMI pict quality hmm cant wait to see.

16. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    yes it cost a bit

I can get 720p or 1080i but they look the exact same ie excellent.

Not sure of the value of posting a picture really - by the time I downsize it to meet the upload limits here, it will be low res. Unsure what value that will give you.

Paul