1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32WL48 - Disappointed

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by spergabite, Nov 30, 2004.

1. spergabite

spergabite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading all the praise for the toshiba 32WL48, I have sold my 32" CRT. I went into John Lewis Bristol today and got them to set up the screen with a Pioneer 686 DVD player running through HDMI. I was looking froward to seeing what this set had to offer, thinking that it would create an excellent picture with minmum noise/digital mess. To my amazement the image was found to be lacking in overall quality and displaying a very poor picture quality. This couldnt be right i thought, so i got the guy to play around with the picture settings and dvd quality, but it didnt seem to make any difference! Can anyone else post on any experiences of this TV and dvd combination. I dont know what to buy now - i thought the Sony32" was a lot better. I really had my heart set on this TV and now dont know whetherr to purchase or not. The film they dem'd was Star wars episode 4 (remastered) Darth Vader for example seemed to be swimming a sea of crawling locusts. I need reasuuance before i spend out that for some reason the dvd abd tv are not compatible or it works better on component or something....

2. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem with LCD is that it shows every imperfection in the film. The noise that you saw is probably the mastering on the disk.

Balancing the contrast and the sharpness counters this to a degree. Other than that LCD just might not be the technology for you.

All the plasma screens iv seen show this too.

3. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Star Wars DVDs are very clean in my experience. I haven't seen the Toshiba LCDs in the flesh (I own a Philips LCD) - but I wonder whether the shop had actually set it up right? What exactly was the Pioneer outputting? Also, LCD TVs are notorious for being set up for "shop conditions" (too bright and contrasty) - plus how close were you to the set? (If conditions were cramped, you might have been viewing too close, giving a false impression). I would try to get another demo (maybe elsewhere). Also, you should try to do a comparison with other makes Sharp, Philips, Sony. Only then can you decide really.

4. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are you sure it was a 686 ??? as jlewis are not suppliers of this product ??

5. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have the Toshiba and a Denon 3910. I've watched Star Wars using an HDMI cable at 720p and 1080i and the picture is flawless....

I'd say with this TV the most difficult thing, bizarrely, is getting a good TV picture ie one that is anywhere near as good as the result from a DVD player. I'm extremely pleased with it though.

Paul

6. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have the 32WL46. If I stand close(ish) to it, the picture looks terrible, but at my normal viewing distance, several feet away, the picture is bright and very detailed.

Any LCD set viewed close up looks blocky and fussy.

7. spergabite

spergabite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im sure it was the pio 686 it had hdmi for sure, I was standing about 1.5m away so i guess that doesnt help. Ill try and find another retailer and demo under better conditions...I really want that tv dammit!