1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32WL46

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ansalmo, Jul 30, 2004.

1. ansalmo

ansalmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just received my Tosh 32WL46 LCD yesterday and am pretty pleased with it so far. It's my first large LCD so I don't have anything to compare it to, but will have a go at answering any questions that people may have.

I spotted that the baby version (26WL46) just got a 5-star rating in What Hi-Fi this month, and that was at a price of £2000 - I picked up the 32" version for tuppence under £1500 at Unbeatable, which I consider a billy-bargain since it's at least 300 quid more expensive elsewhere.

An interesting point with this screen is that all online references mention a screen resolution of 1366x768 (for a true 16:9 display) though the provided manual is so flimsy that it doesn't give technical information to that level.

Plenty of connectors too - seems to have everything bar DVI.

2. hechizero

hechizero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.toshiba.de/consumer/pdf/250/32wl46.pdf

This was about the most info I could get pertaining to this screen. It mentions a 10ms response time and is definately a proper 16:9 screen. Besides all the specifications, tell us about picture response watching fast action or football and contrast performance. Connectivity wise it seems totally loaded and on paper seems the most feature filled 32" out there.

I see Unbeatable is "awaiting stock", which for them can mean anything up to two weeks waiting time, so you were lucky. The price will probably drop to the same level at other etailers once more stock of this item is available and also as other manufacturer models are released. However at the moment this is a really good deal.

3. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ansalmo,

Quite interested in this telly, do you fancy doing a review? How about a couple of photos?

Could you tell me it's height from the bottom of the stand to the top of the unit?

Cheers,
    Callum.

4. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Have just ordered the 26" version. Cancelled order for pan 26" as it was gonna take at least 3 weeks and unbeatable had the Toshiba in stock. Plus the Toshiba's £350 cheaper at £1,275 ish inc. del. I know the Pan has the better screen according to what Hi-Fi, but as the screen is for a bedroom the smaller width of the Toshiba is preferable and the 2 component inputs allow for my USA GC and pan DMR85 dvd to be connected via component without the need for routing through my HC amp.

Has anyone got the 26". Is it 1366:768? (16:9) or is it 1280!? different sites seem to contradict each other.

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I assume the screen can accept pal as well as ntsc prog scan signals?

6. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I went down to Tottenham Court Road to have a look at these two. They had the 32" Tosh and the 26" Panny. The Panny had a slightly better picture (from a DVD, nothing in it with the broadcast source they had on tap), but there wasn't enough of a difference to justify the price. (in that shop, tosh £2200, panny 32" £2800). The Tosh also looked pretty good in the flesh, compared to the pics in What Hi-Fi. The panasonic didn't look quite so good, but that's just IMO.

I'm pretty sure the tosh takes NTSC and PAL progressive.

7. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Cheers. I can't wait for it to arrive sometime next week. I like the fact that there's 2 component inputs on the Toshiba, plus it's between £350-400 cheaper than the pan. Plus it's 15cm narrower so looks more compact.

I agree that the pics of the toshiba in what hi-fi aren't all that great. Still, I can never tell from magazine pictures. I really liked Sony's 26" lcd till I saw it in the shops. Hated pan 22ltz until I saw it in a customers house and really liked it.