1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32WL36 32" LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by gp2229, Jan 1, 2004.

1. gp2229

gp2229

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having experienced a lot of bleeding of light from the edges of my new LG 30" LCD I am thinking of sending it back and getting the Toshiba 32" but I can't see any reviews of this model yet. Spec reads very well in terms of 2 x component inputs and 2 x RGB scarts but prrof of the pudding .......

Does anyone have any experience of this screen? Any feedback very much appreciated.

Graham

2. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Graham

I compared the Toshiba 32WL36P (£2899) against the Sony KLB30MR1 (£2999) yesterday in John Lewis, Kingston and was not impressed with the Tosh. They were both running through a Sony DVD player and I played through the same DVD (some demo by Philips).

The Toshiba was very noticible in its lack of graduation with subtle tone changes - for example the splash screen of the DVD player - the wash's were distinct colour bands - much more so than on the Sony MR1 which were more subtly graduated.

The Toshiba was running S-video, the Sony Scart-scart but not sure what format. None the less, this type of difference should not be due to the inputs unless there is a setup problem.

Its a shame as a 32" with component progressive would have been nice.

-Ian

3. gp2229

gp2229

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a shame as there seems to be little choice in the 30 - 32 " sizes, in theory quite a few players but few with the right spec, performance and also cosmetics. The Sony has the looks but is expensive and received a poor review in What Plasma and LCD TV (good reviews on what is currently available). I also looked at the Toshiba and didn't like the looks, it is also very big with speakers and is quite deep. I have a 30" LG which was damaged but the quality was good nice metal surround but no tuner and now discontinued and replaced by inferior plastic model. So according to reviews its down to either the Sharp or the Philips both with excellent reviews and both now under £2000. But I just don't think they look like £2000 worth of TV - and the Philips feels cheap esp the buttons on the top are very fragile. Have you seen the Thomson 27" in Dixons/Currys, surprisingly solid and well built looking screen and spec is not bad if you can make do with 3" less. Its a shame also that the Sharp and Sony have separate tuner boxes to accomodate.