Toshiba 32 and Sky+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davet010, Oct 2, 2004.

1. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Having prised my new Toshiba 32 out of the hands of the delivery man and set it up, I'm just starting to have a play with it.

One question - has anyone managed to set up the infrared control device to work with a PACE Sky+ box ?

Thanks in advance.

DT

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    I think the general consensus was no. Even more to the point the question was raised as to why you would want to? In your setup Sky+ will continue to do all your timeshifting (upto 2 channels at once) and your Toshiba for authoring to DVD. You don't lose any quality by recording to Sky+ HDD first, and it's not as if you can record two channels on Sky+ and a third using the Toshiba.

3. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My thinking was that it would cut out an extra step - lets say that I was to record 3 programs then transfer them onto a DVD having edited them. As it stands I would Sky+ them, then record onto the HDD to edit, then transfer the edited versions to DVD. My idea was to record them directly onto the HDD, but if I was timeshifting, I'd have to remember to switch the Sky+ onto the correct channel before going out.

Unless I am missing something obvious, which is entirely possible.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    Your theory is sound but, in my experience, virtually all Sky+/HDD combo owners conduct the Sky+ step. On the one hand recording on Sky+ first allows you to determine the precise length of the programme and accordingly set the precise bitrate. On the other there is less to go wrong (e.g. someone pressing the TV button on the Sky handset disabling RGB). Remember you can always do the transfer overnight if you don't want to put Sky out of action during your normal viewing times.

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a few people have tried to find the sky+ code, no one has been successful that I know of.

However, if you search for this topic you will find a method for getting sky+ to automatically change to your desired channel.

6. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    cheers - found it and will give it a go.