1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 32 and aspect ratio

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davet010, Oct 21, 2004.

1. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm currently recording a series one Sky+, and having recorded 3 of them, set about editing them to fit them onto one DVD (using a bitrate of 4.2, the three have edited down to 41 mins each, so they will all fit).

Only problem is that for some reason, when I try to insert chapters into the third episode to edit it, it says that it's in an aspect ratio of 4:3, compared to the 16:9 of the other two. This means that I can't put all 3 onto the same disk. I'm not sure how this came about.

Thus far, I've tried..

- using the machine's set up menu to force everything to 16:9

- re-recording the show with the aspect ratio set as 16:9 in the timed record menu

but neither have worked.

Anyone any ideas, or am I doing something wrong ?

I can re-record the show on Sky+ this Sunday, so if all else fails I'm going to try that, but I didn't change any settings between recording the second and the third shows, so don't know why they are different.

cheers in advance

DT

2. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    anyone ?

3. Dark Eyes

Dark Eyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I cannot see why this should cause a problem.
    All my recordings are flagged as 4:3 (because I mainly use the internal tuner) even if they are 16:9.
    Then when I burn them to DVD I set the aspect ratio to 16:9 fixed in the Edit Menu options and they are flagged as 16:9 on playback.

I did have a funny the other day, where I had edited the ads out of a prog and was then burning it to a disc, when I got the error message that the title contained incompatible material ( or something like that) and the the title would be divided when burnt to DVD. I carried on through the DVD burning menus and it all worked fine - no split titles and chapters as I was expecting.

Might just be the software doing a 'funny' does it actually stop you burning the titles to DVD ?

If so, are you making a -r or -rw and which method are you using ?

4. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mixing the ratios will stop me burning them all to the same disk. It's completely baffled me as to why 2 of the three episodes are 16:9, and the other is 4:3.

5. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorted now - just forced them at 16:9 in the disk creation menu, as suggested. Quality is good - tried it on my Denon 500 !