1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 30wl46p

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by geiger167, Dec 4, 2004.

1. geiger167

geiger167

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    This seems a very good buy, particularly with the currys promotional code Ive seen elsewhere on the forum. Cant find much info on the set the though as the curry's ad is very vague. Im particularly confused by the 'P' at the end of the model name, and doing a google search comes up with very little on this model and nothing on the toshiba site. Anyone have any info or links on the set, and can anyone confirm if the model has component imputs, or better still does anyone actually have this model ???

One last question if I may be so bold, I plan to attach a dvi equipped dvd player to it and was curious how the set would play the audio from the dvd player ( a denon ) as im told dvi is a visual only lead,
    Thanks in advance for any help :thumbsup:

2. gnudi

gnudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe you should use the search function ;)

You would have learned that the P doesnt mean much except geographical code ( you can find 30WL46B or 30WL46G too and they are the same)

Also that there arent component inputs, yeah too bad...

Already a few people on this forum gave their impressions and they're all pretty good..

But about dvi , it seems sadly you wont be able to connect dvd player by dvi since the set isnt hdcp compliant...

Excellent set tough...

3. geiger167

geiger167

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Oh dear thats a shame about the dvi not being compatible as I just bought a region-free denon dvd1910 dvd player specifically to use with the lcd via it dvi port. Should I cancel them both and have a rethink do you think ??

4. gnudi

gnudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I was a bit disappointed too (specially that it was first announced hdcp compliant) but well Im more than happy with this set...
    The quality via standard RGB scart is excellent and I could have bought another set with DVI YUV or whatever and not as good quality.
    About HD-DVD or HDTV , Ill see quietly when the final products will be avalaible and decide then . Maybe bigger screens will be cheaper ...
    Maybe you will have "HDCP-OFF" products like there are "Macrovision-off" players right now...

Personally , I wanted a LCD set to replace my old TV and the 30WL46 suits perfectly.. When HD will be avalaibe there will be newer and better sets too :rolleyes:

Well this is your choice...Maybe if you have bit more money (or time) you could aim at a bit more expensive set like Sharp 32G4E, Philips 9976 or Toshiba 32WL48 , which you will be able to use a dvi/hdmi dvd player with...

5. geiger167

geiger167

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thank you for your good advice gnudi, in the end I have settled on a Sharp 32GA3 set as we have a dealer in my home town and the picture on display looked very crisp and of course the compatibility with the denon dvi dvd player I bought is cool too and of course it has component connection if all else fails.

6. gnudi

gnudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Happy to help :smashin: