1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 30WL46B @ £1066 - Good Deal?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jmcardle, Nov 15, 2004.

1. jmcardle

jmcardle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Slowly making my way through the minefield of LCD and was considering the Philips pf9975 - but the speakers don't detach and, frankly, spoil the design IMHO.

So after much further searching I came across the Tosh at Empire Direct.

I'm going to be using this for TV (freeview) and DVD's. Running the latter from a Panasonic DMR E85, so progressive is a must-have, which the Tosh has got (at least as far as I can tell). Sound will be via a Denon AV3802 (if that's relevant)

It's baby brother, the 26WL46B, gets 5 stars in What Hi Fi and is apparently a "great performer and very well equipped" (copyright acknowledged Nov 2004 - in case anyone gets nervous).

So, what do you think of it as a TV?

And is £1066 a good price?

Any and all comments welcomed.

Link here - http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index.asp?modelcode=TOS-30WL46B

2. gnudi

gnudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think youre mistakin (who wouldnt ;) ) between the references...

The brother of the 30WL46 is the 27WL46 not the 26 and hasnt been reviewed/tested yet...Im waiting for it myself...

3. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    The 27WL46 and 30WL46 are the new models, the 26WL46 is about to be replaced.

I have the 26WL46 and am very pleased with the picture quality.

The only thing that is currently waiting to be confirmed on the new models is whether or not they actually have component inputs. Units should start shipping in the next couple of weeks.

This was the only thing that put me off waiting for the 27WL46.

The new units do have a DVI input, if you have a suitable DVD player, and £1,066 looks a very good price for the 30WL46.

BTW the picture on the Empire site is actually of the current models - check the Toshiba website (stasia.net) for a look at the actual 30WL46.

4. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is £1066 a good price? -I hope so, that's what I paid with empire direct after much searching. It seems that price will only be available whilst they are awaiting stock, so effectively you're getting a discount for a few weeks wait. Personally, I was happy with that and the estimate is for delivery at the end of the month.
    As daveb975 said do have a look at the real pictures as I think the 30 is a much better design than the outgoing models...... Post what happens, I'd be interested to hear what delivery date you're offered.....

5. hudsonmanx

hudsonmanx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 27WL46 very impressed with the design and features, although like any LCD TV it has some issues.

In the menu for Picture Options, the colour temparatures menu is incorrect Normal is cool and cool is normal, Toshiba have acknowledge that this is an issue with the earlier units.

Also when switching on DNR to its highest setting picture tends to ghost a bit, although to be honest with a really good aerial signal you dont need to use DNR.

DVD players and Sky TV are amazing through this TV.

Other than the two issues its a nice TV, so i am sure the 30WL46 is just as good, but I would hold out until new year as Toshiba are dropping retail prices then. I only know this as i work with Toshiba's PR team!.

6. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    I have the 30WL46 and if you search through the forums you will find there are quite a few more software issues than the normal/cool being swapped round. The 27WL46 will have the same bugs.

Toshiba didn't seem aware at all of any of the software issues when I spoke with them. They also didn't seem to have a clue about what to do about it. I told them I wanted them to fix the software and then send an engineer around to update the software on my set. I am assuming that the software can be upgraded, normally by special equipment connected to one of the SCART sockets.

There are NO component inputs.

However, I think the picture quality is excellent and the software issues are only a minor distraction. Currys have a web price for the 30WL46 of 1059. What I am most interested to know is how the picture of the 30WL46 compares with the 32WL48. They both have a different drive engine. The 32WL48 should be better as it has Activevision, but it may all be hype.

Regards,
    Jonathan

7. hudsonmanx

hudsonmanx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had to send back my first Toshiba 27WL46 because of some issues with a green dot on the screen, have the new one now works ok.

But toshiba sent me these answers to my questions detailed below.

1. On the centre of the screen there is a small green dot, looks like a dead pixel
    A. This is not a fault, there has to be 4 dead pixels in 1 line before it is deemed a fault.

2. When changing the colour temperature I noticed that Normal is Cool, and Cool is Normal
    A. On early set's these options are reverse. Normal gives the Blue hugh and Cool gives standard White.

3. When switching on DNR the TV makes a strange noise for about a minute, should it do this?
    A. This is a bit harder to determine weather it is a fault or not. After speaking with my colleagues this shouldn't happen for this length of time and would suggest a fault with the LCD.

My new set has the same issue with the colour temparature not sure if i should bother chasing it or not.

8. gnudi

gnudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This product is a brand new one... They wouldnt have made another version so quick...I think this is only that they know about the problem and will correct it on future versions...

About a firmware update , sadly it seems difficult cause there isnt any data port (RS232 I think it is) and that cant be achieved by a SCART input...

About the high pitched sound , it certainly is a self (hope its the right word) of bad quality...They should improve that too...

Well like usual , experience proves that being the first is not always the best, the product need some improvement and the first buyers are playing testers...
    Im pretty happy with mine , no hum or defective pixels , only the whine at the start-up but Toshiba should consider correct the glitches before releasing their products..

My 2 cents...

9. conz

conz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I sent mine back to unbeatable.co.uk because of an audible hum. They had no stock for replacement. So i got a refund. I ordered of curry's for cheaper and will get 10% cashback because i used an egg card :) then found out i could have got a further 10% (would have been a real bargain then) by using a discount code... I could kick myself. It's being delivered next week, so fingers crossed there's no hum. I can live with the other software glitches.

Con

10. matt_s

matt_s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It would be cool if you could pass on the discount code :thumbsup: if you have it??

11. conz

conz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. hudsonmanx

hudsonmanx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phoned Toshiba this morning about a couple of issues i have one being with picture temparature options and also a problem with ghosting on DNR.

Toshiba have apparently made ammendments in the manuals mentioned the picture temparature issue. As for DNR they said that all units are shipped with DNR turned off as in most cases its not required.

Apparently there is no fix for the Colour Temparature problem on 27/30WL46.

13. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just to let you know, the Egg promotion was until the end of November. If the extra 10% started in December you wouldn't be able to use both together so don't kick yourself too hard !

:)

Richie.

14. matt_s

matt_s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  15. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Can anyone else comment on the evenness of their backlight. I have noticed that the brightness is slightly higher on the right side of the screen than the left. This can be seen for example, when the screen goes completely white (such as on an advertisement).

Also, on a black screen, I can see that the level of brightness is slightly higher towards the right corner.

None of these things are very distracting, but nonetheless, noticeable.

Jonathan

16. gnudi

gnudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havent noticed this problem at all on mine :confused:
    And you made me stare black then white screens for 2 minutes each :D

17. patrik_f

patrik_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How do you know it is the backlight, and not due to the slightly different angles from which you are looking at the liquid chrystals at various parts of the screen?

18. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can tell when you're looking at the screen.

My LCD monitor has this, and the top right corner and side are brighter than the rest of the screen. It's only really noticeable when the screen is all black, so I don't care.

19. dmctech

dmctech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered my set on 30th Nov when the advertised price was £1066, I checked again on their site and it dropped to £999. Considering I haven't even received the unit yet, or even had a phone call about delivery I got in touch straight away and got them to refund the 67 quid. Cheeky gets. Bet they wouldn't have refunded me if I hadn't pointed it out !

Got a free Toshiba SD-240E DVD player with it though, which isn't advertised, so it may be worth considering when looking at other prices.

20. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    gnudi, thanks for checking the backlight eveness and sorry for making you stare at very boring black and white screens! :D

I am not going to send it back over this as then I could end up with something else like a stuck pixel! And how often do you see a totally white screen? Interestingly my eye picked it up more on the total white than a total black (unless all the lights are off in the room).

Found another software glitch. Sometimes when you press mute it stops putting the mute symbol on the screen. The only way to cure this is to power it off at the mains and switch it on again!

Secondly, I found the auto format option does do something! It only works when the widescreen mode is also set to auto. I found that my TIVO over RF will make the TV switch between 16:9 and 4:3. Also on Channel 4, if the picture has the black bars, it will select cinema. However, it will only select cinema for channel 4 (no auto sense). The biggest problem, is that most other TVs you can choose how you want to see 4:3 images and only change when receiving a special signal. This screen will default to 16:9 in AUTO mode.

Finally I noticed an undocumented feature which I don't know what it does. When you are using a SCART, then a new menu option appears in the features menu "VCR MODE". I cannot fathom out what this does.

Jonathan