1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 30wl46

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by conz, Nov 26, 2004.

1. conz

conz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have had my new LCD TV for a few days now. I know it is a newly released product so I may not get many responses.

I have noticed a few quirks about this set. One is a hum from the speakers, which after a bit of research may be due to an earthing problem or interference from audio connects and power cables. (With the amount of cables I have behind my system I wouldn't be surprised)

The second is a weird effect from, I think, the Picture in Picture (PIP) feature. Even when I exit from this feature, the audio from the second channel is still audible at a low level. Easier to pick out if I'm on a silent channel such as BBCi. Anyone else seen this problem. I came up with a workaround. Putting the second channel on an untuned (silent) frequency before exiting the PIP.

Con

2. coolasacucumber

coolasacucumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    interesting points, im considering thsi set, i look forward to any responses

3. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Hi,

I am building a list of software defects with this set. Perhaps you can confirm the list below as affecting you too.

First of all, there is a buzzing from the backlight, not the speakers. You can only hear it if you are right next to the screen. What I DO hear is a very high pitched sound that gets higher and higher for the first few minutes the TV is on. It comes from the power supply. 2 sets I have tried both did this, but my second is much better.

I have never heard the sound from the second tuner after switching off PAP. I will try it again when I get home.

Software defects are:-

1) Cool is normal, and normal is cool in colour temperature. Warm is correct.
    2) Settings for black stretch and luminance peaking remain when the TV is put into standby, but get lost if you switch off the set by the main switch on the TV itself (i.e they revert to off).
    3) Aspect ratio auto switching does not work for terrestrial stations at all. When aspect ratio is changed to AUTO, it sits at 16:9 no matter what. On SCART, AUTO WILL switch between 4:3 and 16:9. The AUTO FORMAT option in the menu does nothing at all as far as anyone can tell!
    4) The first time a new input is used, (e.g DVI), the contrast and brightness settings may be changed. These settings are set the same for all inputs, but it is almost like Toshiba intended to have different settings for each input. For example, if you use Picture AND picture, and hit swap, you can change the brightness and contrast individually for the second picture. once you come out of PAP though, the settings from the second picture will over-write the first. Sharpness and white balance IS memorised separately for all inputs and second picture.
    5) The manual is wrong about how to select teletext subpages. You should press >> and not >>|. Then use program up and down buttons to choose the page, not the coloured buttons
    6) The manual does not document that the pause button pauses the picture
    7) When you enter PAP, there should be a white box around the first TV box. There isn't. However when you press the swap button, the white box will appear around the second box
    8) If you hit the OK button whilst watching TV, it brings up a list of channels. The first two lines in the list are missing the bright white colour for the channel number.

Overall the picture quality on this set is excellent. There is some dot crawl on terrestrial signals despite having a digital comb filter, but it still has about the best terrestrial picture I have ever seen. The second tuner (when using PAP) is a bit darker and less sharp than the first. SCART input via RGB is absolutely astounding providing 3D like images.

Regards,
    Jonathan

4. gnudi

gnudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi , I just got mine , so I can answer you :)

I have no hum or buzz or anything like this...
    The thing I have is a "hiss" (is that the word?) , a very high pitched frequency that happens only at the powering up and disappears like 1 min later...Would have been better without it for sure but its not so bad...

I didnt noticed this at all but when I use PIP/PAP , one image is from the antenna , the other is from the scart , are you in the same configuration?

5. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    What have you guys done in the way of settings?

I left the contrast at 100 (maximum) and knocked the backlight setting down to 2. The room it is in never gets streaming sunlight on it or is ever particularly brightly illuminated.

With this setting, I get a good level of contrast (not too much!) but blacks are black.

Brightness according to video essentials was already correctly set. Colour was extremely close to correct too.

On RGB SCART inputs, sharpness does nothing, so if you want a bit of extra zing, use the luminance peaking option. But be careful, if you enable this option and have the sharpness on terrestrial up to 8 or 10, you will get over sharpening and bright vertical lines will have a ghost line a couple of mm away! I put the sharpness down to 5 for terrestrial use.

I did not use the black stretch as although it looked great in bright scenes, it pushed low level detail in darker scenes too dark, and detail is lost.

How about others?

Jonathan

6. conz

conz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I can confirm all the software glitches you listed. Though, as you say, the picture quality is brilliant. Unfortunately, as soon as 9am arrives today I'm phoning Unbeatable to get a replacement due to the hum/buzzing noise. I get the high pitched sound as well, but that dissapears after a few seconds. The hum doesn't :(

7. gnudi

gnudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Conz youre right about asking for replacement...Lets hope this is not a common issue withe this product line...

Jonathan, my settings are pretty close from yours...
    What I noticed is that I liked for a movie to have a true dark black and that when I switch to TV I liked a bit more luminosity...
    Too bad you cant save more than one setting cause Mode 1 is already a bit too dark (but pretty nice for movies though) and mode 2 and 3 are totally useless I think. So finally you find yourself modifying the settings very often (but maybe this is because I just got the set ;) ) when you could have one manual setting for movies and another one for tv...

Black stretch gives a great impression on bright scenes but becomes unusable in dark scenes...Good for big fish but not for matrix :)

Luminance Peak is like an extra sharp mode that can have good results but one will find it really artificial pretty quick...

I dont notice great differences with sharpness except that it can produce some smearing if you set it too high..

Anyway the general image is more soft than sharp except with cgi animation movies where the image is absolutely perfect and stunning, maybe we will have the same with HD...

About other settings , I dont use DNR cause I dont see any difference..
    Colour is really good in warm mode , very natural and well balanced.
    I like Superlive mode for both 4/3 and 16/9 TV materials cause its a good compromise and allows not to switch manually all the time. I dont use auto cause it always swtiches to 4/3 and I dont like watching 4/3 with black borders on both sides , I prefer a slight deformation than a small image :)
    When whatching dvds , wide mode is of course better...

I also tried my PS2 connected via SVHS but Im not very pleased at the moment cause its pretty dark, Im trying to get something better but right settings seem a bit hard to find... Is RGB scart known to have a brighter image? Too bad once more that this set doesnt have YUV :(

I dont have connected my PC via DVI yet , this will be my next test...Ill try some HD demos too...

8. spencer3958

spencer3958

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have had this set for a a week now (purchased from Powerhouse for £1199 + 12 months free credit). I too get the high pitched whine when the set is first switched on and after the first two days the speakers developed a hum. Although the hum disapperaed after a day I still got Powerhouse to change the set which I got today.

Thw new set still has the whine but disappears quicker. No hum intially from the speakers but then when I adjusted the backlight to 10 or less it started to hum. This only lasted a few minutes and hasn't reappeared.

Initially I was a bit diassapointed with the picture through Sky but when I switched off the DNR and got a decent SCART lead picture improved dramitically (switching off the DNR made the most difference)

David