1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 30WL46 - just received.....

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by PhilB1234, Dec 8, 2004.

1. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..... and fairly disappointed!

here are my concerns:

-Highly audible whistling noise from the set and one of the speakers, and if you turn the backlight setting down it hums too! Two faults for the price of one!
    -At least one dead pixel.
    -No direct access to various AV inputs, so to cycle through to the DVI input you have to press the imput button TWELVE times! As this is going to be my mainly used input that's pretty inconvenient to have to do every day!
    -No means of changing the PIP channel....

I know others reported the whistling and got their sets replaced.... Did that solve the issue? Are Toshiba likely to issue a Mk2 version with problems solved? They seem to be having lots of returns so they must do something about it....

On the plus side, Sky+ via my scaler into the DVI input gives pretty good picture quality! Very little use if the whistling remains! And certainly no use for HDTV.....

2. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Phil,

To clarify on your points.

I returned my first for the whistling noise, not realising they all do it. However, everyone, so far, has found that the whistling noise disappears after the set has been on for a short time and is therefore only of small concern. The high pitched noise sounds like power supply resonances to me as it does not slide up in pitch smoothly, but seems to jump in harmonics.

The buzzing seems to be common across more than just this model and in particular when the backlight is set to a low value. However, in my case I cannot hear the buzzing at all when I am more than 3 feet away from the set.

You CAN choose an input directly but pressing the OK button in the centre of the joystick. This will bring up a list of channels and inputs for which you can choose the input of your choice.

To change the PIP channel, you must first press the SWAP button, change the channel, and then press SWAP again. I agree this does seem a little convoluted.

I believe Toshiba should address these issues and offer existing users some kind of upgrade. I would have thought the PSU could be changed as a home visit and the firmware/software upgraded.

Jonathan

3. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jon,
    It sounds like I may have a worse example than average for the whistling as it never seems to decrease (after 1 or 2 hours so far) but it also comes out of the right-hand speaker (as well as by the power socket back-left).
    I found the input selection option just after I posted, but thanks for highlghting it!
    Interestingly, it seems my colour temp options are correct (ie. they do what they say, cool is cool etc).

This is still only day one with the set, so I'm hoping that things settle down as it 'beds in'.

I stand by what I said about PQ over DVI, though, sharp as a pin and nice depth of field considering a) it's from Sky, and b) it's an LCD screen!

4. gnudi

gnudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You really should exchange it...
    On my set ,the whistling comes only from behind (power supply I think) and last for less than a minute...There souldnt be any but well its acceptable..
    A constant noise like you're describing on a 1000£ set is unacceptable in my opinion...

About the HDCP thing , I dont really care about HDTV cause no word on this yet here in France and I already have cable with many channels and Im not sure Im willing to pay a fortune just for HDTV news , sports or Derrick ;)

But in the contrary I really hope being able to connect a "HD-DVD" player via DVI to watch HD remastered movies and I hope there will be "hcdp-off" players like there are "macrovision-off" players right now...

Time will tell...Im not in a hurry (now that I have my LCD TV :D )