1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 28z44 - Opinions please

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by DJjay18, Oct 4, 2004.

1. DJjay18

DJjay18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I am currently looking at purchasing the above mentioned TV. There are simply no reviews or ratings for it on the net so I was wondering if anyone could recommend it / give some detailed info on it please.

Also can anyone give details/recommendations on the Panasonic TX-28pm11?

Regards,

Jon

2. DJjay18

DJjay18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone??!!

3. DJjay18

DJjay18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know of this TV?!!

Jon

4. Stupidgrinner

Stupidgrinner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dj...Don't know if you got a Z44...but I can give you some info.
    Toshiba teles have one aspect going for them...a tiny footprint.
    in fact the 28" Tosh is smaller on width, and same depth as all 24" widescreens out there. Thats why the 242 has been so successful.
    I have a 24"...so assume the 28" is similar..and I can tell you the picture CAN be excellent...DVD's show really good. My only complaints are, and this has been commented on a lot..the sound can be a little tinny..and mine has an annoying habit of buzzing a little, particulary when watching people talking...like on richard and Judy. However...it doesn't seem to happen watching films, DVDs etc.
    I think it may be that the speakers are relatively small at 5watts apiece, and of course go under the screen...hence the small footprint!
    Also...you could argue, that with the speakers being closer together...you might not hear the stereo effect as much as on a TV with the speakers either side of the scree.
    I must admit that the buzzy speker trouble irritates me, so went looking at aPhilips 24PW6518 AND Panny TX24PS2...they are much bigger footprint...but guess what...In John Lewis the Toshiba still had the best picture1
    In my opinion all teles vary...you can get a good example or a flawed one..so DON'T by online...cos sending it back is a hassle. Pay a bit more to John Lewis...who give a 28 day refund...and pick up for free! Also, as standard, you get a 5 YR guarantee.
    Steve

5. bodcod

bodcod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi, Djay18,

Check out this link for a review of the pm11 from home cinema choice

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5231

Bodcod

6. thesnowman

thesnowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    can anyone else with this set tell me whether there tv set emitts a really load buzzing sound from the back of the tv, cause it driving me nuts (I only just brought the damn thing!)

7. topdude

topdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i have the 28Z47 which is similar to the Z44 with a few extra features.
    In my opinion the picture quality is fantastic, sound is very good considering the speakers are under the screen, geometry is not perfect but acceptable.

Some minor negatives, slight low freq buzzing when mostly white displayed on screen, occasional random high pitch buzzing, not particularly saturated colours can make faces look a bit flat and pale.

Overall i am very pleased with this set, once i got past the stage of looking for faults and just watched the darn thing.

As stated many times there is no such thing as the perfect CRT especially now they are made as cheaply as possible.

8. satinder

satinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    To DJjay

I have the 28Z44 you mentioned and would recommend it as second tv or if you have a small lounge. As for the buzzing sound i find that this tv and my other Toshiba 32ZP48 tv emits a noise but i (and my family/friends) dont notice it after a while.

Hope that helped!

9. Vnb

Vnb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I bought the Z47, for the bedroom. The din the buzzing made from the back meant it was unwatchable at low volumes. I took it back got it swapped for another one , same thing. Picture quality was excellent, but the buzzing made it useless.

Next I got the Z44. Buzzing is still there but nowhere near as loud, you have to listen for it to hear. I was told it was down to the 100hz unit in the Z47. The z44 is 50hz. A 36zp48 downstairs didn't make anywhere near the noise so I doubt that was the case. The power supply or a poor quality component somewhere would be my guess but maybe more learned members would clarify.

Unfortunately picture quality is not as good, but it does fit in an alcove that would normally only accomodate a tv a lot smaller and is only for occasional viewing.