Toshiba 28z07b TV and Toshiba sd-200e DVD

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Vladman, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Vladman

Vladman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello all.

I've just registered, and having not found what I was looking for when doing a search on this forum, I thought I'll try my luck by describing my problem and posting here.

I've just bought my TV a couple of days ago, and I've had my DVD player for about a year now (for models, see subject).

I've connected them using an IXOS 1713AV brand new component video cable, bought from the excellent http://www.hificables.co.uk.

Now, I realise I might be getting worried a little too soon, as I've only had my new TV for a couple of days, and only managed to watch two movies ("Ali" and "The Mexican") on it so far, but it appears to me as though the whole picture is very green-ish biased. Like there's a pronounced green tint. It was pretty noticable in the movie, and all the white surfaces had this green hue to them, especially the less bright ones, in the shadow for example.

Having searched on the Intrenet for something similar, I did find a few posts on Google Groups (old Dejanews) where people described similar problems but I found no clear or definitve explanation or solution to it.

I tried connecting the TV and the DVD using an RGB (scart) cable, to see if the green hue was still there. It was pretty hard to tell, but I think I noticed something a bit strange. I am not sure of this, but it seems to me that it is the region 2 films that exhibit this green hue, and that the region 1 ones are pretty much free of it. These two films I mentioned, were from Blockbusters (region 2), and the green-ness was very noticable on them. When I tried my RGB cable (also a pretty nice quality, IXOS one), I used my region 1 "T2 - Judgement Day (SE)" DVD (most of my DVDs are region 1), and couldn't notice the green-ness, but I don't think it was there either, when I later tried it using component connection again. However, the green-ness seemed to be there on "Ali" regardless of which cable I was using. One more thing I should mention, was that the "Tint" control, although enabled in the TVs menu, when watching a region 2 movie, seems to be doing nothing at all, regardless of the setting. I think this is probably because "Tint" is only supposed to work with NTSC (region 1) movies...?

Oh, also, there was a disconcerting thin vertical line (green again, funnily enough) on the left of the screen (when it would switch into 4:3 mode) when using the RGB cable. The line isn't there when using component connection.

I'm pretty confused and a little worried by this, and really hope someone here might have possibly experienced, or heard of, the same problem, and might be able to help me solve it, or at least understand the reasons behind it.

:)

Thanks very much,

Vlad.

2. Vladman

Vladman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I can't believe no-one here has ever heard of something like this?

Am I in a wrong place??

Vlad.