1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 28W8DB TV Problem

Discussion in 'TVs' started by EmissarY, Jan 11, 2004.

1. EmissarY

EmissarY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I seem to be having or rather hearing a problem with my widescreen tv.

I have a Toshiba 28W8DB 28" WS which is also a prologic tv.

My main problem is this:

When I am watching DVDs such as LOTR Fellowship, I keep hearing a high resonating sound that coincides with any music that is played in the movie.

For example, when the Fellowship leave Rivendell and set out, music is played and intercut with film of them travelling over hills/mountains etc.

Then when you see close ups of Gandalf and Legolas etc walking towards the screen, the tempo of the music increases and I get a resonating sound that feels as though the speaker is vibrating in the tv.

Is my tv speaker damaged? Has anyone had this problem?

This also tends to happen on other dvds also.

Thanx for any help,

EmissarY

2. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi,

I also have a Tosh 28W8DB which exibits similar tendancies when the volume is wound up watching a DVD in ProLogic. It tends to happen when there's a lot of midrangey music and manifests itself as a rather loud buzzing, I think a resonant frequency from the L&R speakers or casing.

I've not got LOTR Fellowship (EE on order), but I seem to recall it does it on LOTR TT EE on the bit where Aragorn & Crew are tracking the Orcs across the grassy plains.

DVD Player is Toshiba SD100E connected via SCART to AV3

I've only had my 28W8DB 18 months, having aquired the set secondhand (friend moved to France, bargain for £100!). It only does this occaisionally, but it's one of those really annoying sounds.

3. EmissarY

EmissarY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MagicBoy

Well at least I know I'm not 'hearing' things. I will soon be hooking up my receiver so really I wont hear it once I turn the volume on the set down.

However, it does worry me as I wonder what else is gonna go wrong.....

Just a suggestion, I see from your post that you use Scart 3 for dvd duties, have u not considered plugging into Scart 1 as that is RGB, so it should give u a better picture....just a thought is all...

Cheers for repsonse anyhoo,

EmissarY

4. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've got an NTL box on AV1 RGB. The NTL box does composite or RGB, whereas the DVD will do S-Video, which looks good enough with a decent SCART cable. I opted for decent quality on both sources rather than shoddy DTV pictures via composite.

I'm not sure if my set has exhibited the sound annoyance from new, previous owner used a reciever so he doesn't know. It's definately done it as long as I've owned it.

TBH the picture geometry annoys me more than the occaisional resonant buzz, the power regulation is poor compared to my parents Sony KV28FX20. But the Tosh has an extra SCART, Prologic and a Subwoofer. Try hooking NTL, VHS and DVD upto a TV with only two scarts.

I've got a Reciever but need to replace a speaker damaged in house move before it gets hooked up.