Toshiba 27WL56 or Sharp LC-26P50E?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by r11ck1986, Mar 23, 2006.

Tags:
  1. r11ck1986

r11ck1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

In your opinion, which one should i go for? The Toshiba 27WL56 or the Sharp LC-26P50E? it will mainly be used for watching sky, but will also be used for my xbox 360! does anybody run there PC through the Tosh?

Thanks in advance.

2. 8472

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Go for the Sharp :lesson:

3. gavinmoffitt

gavinmoffitt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having looked at both the Sharp & the Toshiba, before I bought... I picked the Toshiba. It has the big advantage of being fully HD Ready, whereas the Sharp is HD compliant & will only display any HD material at a res of 540 lines...

4. r11ck1986

r11ck1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Does the Tosh have as a good a picture when watching sky???

5. 8472

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Sharp P50 series is currently one of the best (if not the best) LCD TV for SDTV (Sky, Freeview, DVD's etc). As for HDTV/Xbox 360, do a forum search for the P50's performance with High Def material - you may well be surprised. ;)

6. ndavies4

ndavies4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Was just looking at these 2 myself. Want a 2nd tv for the kitchen that will be connected to my old Telewest box (via RGB scart) and a yet to be bought Media Centre PC (such as Sony's Vaio XL100) - via an HDMI lead. Both tv's appear to be perfect in that they have the desired connectivity plus don't have an in-built freeview tuner (will have one or two in the PC anyway).

Was tempted by the Sharp due to the many good things said about it, plus you can get it right now at John Lewis - price matched - for £500 (incl 5yr guarantee). Only negative I'd read about it though was it's ability to display the PC's screens.

Thankfully went into JL in Kingston on Saturday with my laptop and connected the PC's DVI out into the Sharps HDMI via an adapter. All I can say is I was amazed at how poor the screens looked with text being completely unreadable! That's the Sharp off the list then.

Can anyone help me understand why the Sharp is so weak in this area, and maybe point me towards a more suitable screen - e.g. is the Tosh the one or do I need to look towards the more expensive Pannies (such as 26LXD52 or 60). Only other thought was towards say the Samsung 26R41.