Toshiba 27WL55 (27wl46...) £499!!

Well you would hav thought so but last time i asked he insistead that, both testing the TV on Sky or Terrestrial was impossible?!

Mad Man 2 said:
Sorry point me to:

A) A person that owns this set.
B) Someone that has actually tested its Terrestrial performance in the UK

OvertoneBliss confirmed that the TV had teletext, so to confirm that he must have connected it to an aerial at some stage. The specs quite clearly show that this TV does Pal I, which is the UK standard, so why do you think it won't work in the UK ? Do you think Pixmania are stupid enough to sell 100's of these TV's to UK buyers that won't work in the UK, so they can issue all the refunds when they don't work ?

Sheesh ! :suicide:

Ur, he may of just read it out of the manual(yes, even though its in French), seen it in settings (OSD) or off the remote control but he has clearly stated that he does not use the TV for SKY or Terrestrial, if you read!

So, what do you think Pal I means ? :rolleyes:

Perhaps just what was listed on Piximania seeing as they also list it does not have a remote or teletext. Also it does say through scart in captions. Finally yes, perhaps it does do Pal 1 but as paulrwebster found with his English set, it could be set in the factory to work in the region it is sold in! :suicide:

It's not Pal 1 it's Pal I and Pal I is the TV system exclusively used in the United Kingdom and Ireland, and nowhere else. The only difference between Pal I and Pal B/G (used in the rest of Europe) is that the sound carrier on the RF channel has a different spacing (6MHz, as opposed to 5.5MHz).

Since the TV spec on the Pixmania site specifically mentions Pal I you can be pretty sure that it will receive UK terrestrial analogue TV.

Hi people,

First of all, I own it and it has teletext options in the OSD menu, so I guess I just assume, but it'd be crazy if it didn't 'cause then there'd be no point putting a teletext option there! :D.

I won't be testing TV via ant because I don't have that available in my room, or anywhere in the house for that matter. We use Telewest TV and that's it.

I actually tested a DVD via Scart and it's a lot better than playing DVDs via PC (VGA). I hope I can get the same DVD quality as Scart via DVI though as i'll save a bit of money then :).

Phil.

So my guess was wright you did just see it in the OSD. There Nick UK it just goes to show you must not always assume your first thought is the only possibility! :D

Mad Man 2.. you sound abit like Yoda.."you must not always assume your first thought is the only possibility!"..hmmm ;)
guess well just have to wait and see, mine should be here mid week, will know then one way or another..
ether way .. bargin lads bargin...!!

"Search your feelings" you know it will be ok.. :smashin:

Mad Man 2 said:
So my guess was wright you did just see it in the OSD. There Nick UK it just goes to show you must not always assume your first thought is the only possibility! :D

Or maybe it's just that I'm not one of nature's pessimists ?

It wasn't me that was threatening to send the TV back before it had even arrived ;)

Not quite sure what you mean there but its just that it was you who was telling me and others to read previous post carfully when ironically it was you that needed to do so! :suicide:

I have just received one of these from Pixmaina and can confirm that it can recieve terrestrial TV via the aerial. Even though it is a French model it is acutally manufactured in the UK. Picture quality is superb but you have to be atleast 8 feet away and directly infront of it. DVD through RGB scart is amazing and gets better when all the available picture settings are used to improve contrast. I would say that at this price is it one of the best value TFT TVs available

Nit_mm
You make me soooo Happy.
I've ordered one Friday and had some doubts cause I've seen so many LCD:s with terrible picture.

:thumbsup:

And yes it does come with a remote, and all the menus are in English, you have the option of selecting your country and language when the unit is first powered up.

bharatgi said:
can this be wall mounted?

It has standard VESA mounting holes on the back and it weighs 16kg, which is not heavy for LCD TV

Nit_mm said:
It has standard VESA mounting holes on the back and it weighs 16kg, which is not heavy for LCD TV

do you have one? if yes, what do you think of it?

bharatgi said:
do you have one? if yes, what do you think of it?

I have one of these but it is on a stand and not wall mounted, but the fixings are exactly the same as my 20.1" TFT monitor. I'll post some pictures later on this evening

Nit_mm said:
I have one of these but it is on a stand and not wall mounted, but the fixings are exactly the same as my 20.1" TFT monitor. I'll post some pictures later on this evening

is it a good TV though?

bharatgi said:
is it a good TV though?

As in my first post, the quality of the TV is better that the widescreen CRT it has replaced, colours are vibrant and bright, DVD through RGB scart is simply amazing, I would recommend using RGB scart as the picture is sharper

This, Nit_mm is music to my ears, however the fact that the avalibility status has changed from "In Stock" to "More than 10 days" is not. So from the sound of this those still waiting for the set (inc. me) could be in for a long wait!

Nit_mm said:
Picture quality is superb but you have to be atleast 8 feet away and directly infront of it.
By this do you mean the viewing angle is poor & the picture is grainy/low def?

Well, mine arrived today !

Does it do UK TV ? YES.
Does it have a remote ? YES
Does it have teletext ? YES
Does it have NICAM sound ? YES

Lots of little surprises too....

Does it have "Picture in Picture" ? YES (when fed from two sources i.e. Sky & DVD, or terrestrial & scart)
Can it display the two pictures side by side ? YES
Can it display teletext and picture side by side ? YES
Any dead/bad pixels ? NONE ON MINE !

The only negative that I could find was that the manual is in French (yes, you should have paid more attention at school !). This doesn't matter too much, because the first thing you are presented with on switch-on is a menu in ENGLISH, telling you to press OK on the remote to start auto-tuning. After that, it's a doddle. I might post some off-screen pictures later on, to show just how good this TV is. A great bargain !

Mad Man 2 said:
By this do you mean the viewing angle is poor & the picture is grainy/low def?

Its the nature of large LCD TV panels due to their lower resolution of 1280 x 720, the closer you are to the screen the pixelation becomes more obvious, but really whos going to sit that close to a large TV anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom