1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 27WL46 or 27WL46B - What's the difference?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by gordons, Jan 3, 2005.

1. gordons

gordons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking at buying a Toshiba 27WL46 from John Lewis as they are offering it with 5 year warranty for £795. I read the review listings in What Hi-fi Sound and Vis mag but and they give 5 stars to the 27WL46'B'. After sniffing around the web, some stores are listing it with the B and some without?? Is there any difference? If so, what and better still has anyone got one of these? Any good?

2. NickXX

NickXX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I *think* the B just stands for Britain - I.e. it's the British model. I don't think it denotes much else. I bought a 27WL46B from Comet last Monday for £800 - Fantastic TV, but I'm kind of kicking myself now that JL are selling them for the same price with a 5yr guarantee :(

3. kwazemowdoe

kwazemowdoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup that's right. B is for Britain, P is pan-European. There is no difference between them all.

I bought mine from JL this Saturday. Really chuffed with it. One thing I can't work out yet - some of my picture settings - particularly "Black Stretch" and "Luminance Peaking" keep reverting to "Off" after I have switched them "On". It appears to happen when I turn the set off and back on. Bug in the software perhaps??

4. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I have the same problem as well!

5. kwazemowdoe

kwazemowdoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be interested if owners of this set could post their picture settings? Here are mine

- Contrast : 54
    - Brightness : 45
    - Colour :53
    - Sharpness : 5
    - DNR : Off (I find I get more streaking with it on or perhaps it's my imagination)
    - Black strech / Luminance Peaking - Off (as above, can't keep either on!)
    - Colour temp - Normal
    - Backlight : 13

6. kamza

kamza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I read this post with interest guys.

I took my 27WL46 back to JL today as I was not impressed with the picture quality...ended up getting my money back for the time being whilst the search goes on. Also found The Black Stretch / Luminance Peaking problem making me think that the set was faulty.

I accept the fact that via terrestrial telly, the PQ will not be that great but on the DVD front I was using a decent scart cable (£30ish) and made sure that my DVD player was set to RGB.

Mmmmmm...maybe I should have asked for a replacement set! :blush:

Initially we were only looking for a 23" seeing as it was for use in our bedroom but when we saw this set for £795 thought it was a bit of a no brainer. Back to our wee 14" tele/video for the time being now and well in the wife's bad books!

Can I ask what you guys have got hooked into your sets?

Cheers

7. joni

joni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    been watching this thread with great intrest just bought one of these tvs last week, main use for it is to hook up to my media center pc so it becomes an all in one htpc.

but, found two probs that im havin trouble with-

1) the vga input on the screen works fine with my pc, but i cant get the correct aspect ratio, all pic is looking a bit squashed

2) tried the dvi input on the screen as the dvi input has more aspect ratios to choose from, but when hooked up to the dvi output of my graphics card all i get is a black screen.

anyone have any ideas that may help me out, please

pc is a hp media center 477uk, graphics card is nvidia geforce 5200, lcd screen is toshiba stasia 27wl46.

if this response is in the wrong thread then i apologise, just been searching for a few days for any help and this is the first hope ive found.

many thanks

8. kwazemowdoe

kwazemowdoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using my screen with a £40 Bush freeview box routed via Tivo using £20 scart cables.
    DVD player also via RGB scart.

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy with the set but it's not perfect and although on bright images I would say the colour and contrast is the same or better then my CRT, on dark images it's not great, and you get blockiness. You also get some streaking from time to time. But for me the thinness of the screen makes up for it - I have a small room and appreciate the extra space now not taken up by my CRT.

9. NickXX

NickXX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using a digibox (panasonic) with mine, which gives a good picture from about 2 metres (I watch it from 4-5 metres away).

The set looks fantastic using a DVI cable hooked up to my PC.

10. WonkyEwok

WonkyEwok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Could you post details of what resolution / refresh rate you're using, graphics card, powerstrip etc? I'd love to know what's possible.

Thanks

11. NickXX

NickXX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using the DVI out on an nVidia GF4 Ti4200. I've not managed to output a native resolution (1280x720) yet, so I'm just outputting 1024x768. When displayed at 1:1 (setting on the TV) it's just like using a huge LCD PC monitor, however gives black bars at the sides, and isn't widescreen. I've been stretching out the image to 16:9, which works very well with DVDs/DivX's.

Still playing about with powerstrip to get the native resolution, but haven't cracked it yet. Not sure if it's even possible with DVI, so may see what the quality's like with a VGA cable.

12. joni

joni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    update the nvidia driver from nvidia site allows easy custom resoloutions to be made i found it easier than powerstrip am using vga at 1280 x 720 @ 50 hz native resoloution as i still cant get the dvi to work( black screen :( )

13. NickXX

NickXX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the tip! Did you notice much of a quality difference between vga and dvi?

14. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,254
    Could someone please tell me what inputs this has?
    cheers

15. NickXX

NickXX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Tosh has a DVI-in, VGA-in, 3 scarts. There is no component input.

16. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,254

Thanks,just have to wait for John Lewis to get some more instock now.