1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 27WL46, do I or don't I?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by wozza, Jan 10, 2005.

1. wozza

wozza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just about to buy an LCD with budget of £800-£1000. Had my mind set on the Tosh 27' as it says on the web that it's HDTV compatible. I then go to John Lewis and find out that altho it is HDTV compatible, it won't work with the new Sky Hi-Def stuff, if so, what is HDTV then? Also, do i spend my money on another brand, say a Sharp, and get a better picture, higher contrast rate etc. Saying that, maybe the Tosh' is good for picture and sound anyway?

thanks

2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You can pick up a Sharp 26GA3 or GA4 for under a grand. Take a look on Pricerunner.co.uk. Also, I think JL in Solihull had them on a pricematch at under a grand if you wanted the 5 year warranty. Don't go a GA5 or GA6 as these doesn't have DVI or HDMI.

Richie.

3. wozza

wozza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Richie, thing is, is the SHarp HDMI compatible and should i be lookin for a telly with this, was only thinking of the Tosh becasue of HDTV, but looks like that won't help me with Sky in the next few years. There are nicer lookin tellys than the Tosh and the Sharp's are a good shout.

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The Sharps have a DVI input which essentially is a HDMI port without sound. DVI sends digital RGB video where as HDMI sends digital YUV component video. Both allow Prog Scan and Hi-Def signals to be sent. The Sharps DVI is also HDCP compliant too so it will work with the Sky Hi-Def stuff when it comes out.

You can get a cable that goes from HDMI to DVI if the new Sky box is HDMI only.

Richie.

5. wozza

wozza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Richie,

Why when i look on pricerunner and bring up the Sharp 26GA4E, it says NO on the HDTV bit as you say it is.

6. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It's talking crap that's why ! It also says the 32GA3E doesn't do HDTV. Take the tech spec on Pricerunner with a pinch of salt, I've seen numerous errors on them pages.

The 26" has 16:9 (Not 15:9 like others) 1366x768 resolution. Anything over 720 horizontal and the screen is deemed to be HDTV compatible. That's not to say Plasmas and LCDs that have less than 720 can't show HDTV, it's just that they take out lines in order to show it !

A few of the guys have linked up their (HT)PCs to these screens and with a piece of software called Powerstrip can get near to the native screen resolution (Bar 2 pixels) and played Hi-Def films.

Take a look at the Sharp website for the Aquos range. Infact, here is the actual tech spec for the 26"....

http://www.sharp.co.uk/aquos_tv/range/products/product.asp?id=31

7. wozza

wozza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Than ks for this Richie, really helped, one last thing, what's the difference between the GA4 series and GA5 series

8. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The GA5 does not have the DVI connection (hence is not HDTV compatible) and it's speaker cannot be removed (unlike the GA3 and GA4s).

James

9. mathew

mathew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    have you looked at (or tested) these sharp panels you recommend ?

or have any review links? (i'll look, just lazy right at this moment :) )

does look good though.

10. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've seen a 37" version and a 32" GD1E.Wasn't that impressed with the 37" but there again I think I had the DNR turned up too high. The GD1E looked very impressive while playing football.