1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 27WL46 and DVI from ATI Radeon

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by paulrwebster, Jan 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. paulrwebster

paulrwebster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have been trying all day to to connect a Toshiba 27WL46 to DVI from an ATI Radeon 9000 pro graphics card. All works fine during the initial boot up process, however after the initial "Windows 2000" splash screen and the graphics drivers kick in, the screen blanks. If I run through S-Video or remove the ATI drivers and run through DVI, all works OK. I have tried all available refresh rates and resolutions to no avail. The Toshiba does not appear to be recognised by plug and play, the monitor type just shows as a default monitor. Has anyone managed to get DVI working with one of these TVs and an ATI card?

2. johnm60

johnm60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just had a chance to try mine. I am using a Radeon 9000 running Catalyst 4.9 under XP Pro. If I use the D-Sub (PC input as far as the TV is concerned), I am able to get the Windows desktop pixel mapped correctly with the Windows resolution of 1280x720.

However, when I use the DVI output of the same card (which I know works beacuse I normally use this for my LCD monitor), I get no picture at all. Nothing during the whole boot-up sequence or anything. I get the impression by your post that yours doesn't give a picture once booting the PC had completed, but did during boot-up - is this correct?

BTW I used Powerstrip to get the card to the 1280x720 resultion initally. I was not previously able to choose this resolution using the control panel. Now I can choose this resolution without Powerstrip having to run.

John

3. paulrwebster

paulrwebster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes that is correct, I get nothing through DVI after the initial boot sequence. If I put the PC into Safe Mode or remove the ATI drivers I get a 640 x 480 picture through DVI, however the ATI drivers themselves do not seem to recognise that an LCD panel is available.

Another posting pointed to a thread at the link below:

http://www.entechtaiwan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1970

which indicated that the Toshiba is not properly plug and play in that it is not supplying an EDID giving hardware information to the PC. I suspect that, because of this, the ATI drivers cannot see the monitor at all and cannot drive it.

Paul Webster

4. NickXX

NickXX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, I've got the same TV with a nVidia GF4. I can get DVI working fine. Are you sure you've got the DVI output on the card set to digital, and not analogue? I can't get the native resolution output which is irritating, but at a stretched 1024x768 (surprisingly not too distorted), DVD's look awesome. It's a shame, because at the 1:1 ratio, the screen could easily be used as a PC monitor.

5. paulrwebster

paulrwebster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have come across a message on another board that tends to confirm my suspicions that the lack of EDID means that ATI drivers cannot recognise the DVI port (see extract below - different TV but same principle.

"I have an original AIW Radeon (7500 core) with DVI-I (DVI + VGA) out. Unfortuantely, i quickly found out that when I plugged the DVI into my Toshiba HDTV (H83) that the ATI driver was shutting off the DVI port on bootup (it would display during the BIOS and load but kill before getting to the windows login . . it's the only explanation).

ATI told me that there is no way to force the DVI port open if the monitor doesn't provide a proper EDID.
    It's a total ripoff that ATI would cripple their driver like that. "

I am tempted to buy another card from a different manufacturer given that the one that I am using is cheap and out of date, however given the additional issues on the DVI port restricting the resolution to 1280 X 768 I may just give up and go VGA.

On another issue, I was wondering if Toshiba were going to do anything about the lack of HDCP on the TV as when it came out it was being plugged as HDTV ready with the official HDTV logo. I dropped them an email and this was the response:
    "As of yet we are not aware of any hardware or firmware upgrades for this machine but we do know that our technical department are looking into a resolve for this."
    So there is hope on this front, hopefully they can sort out the DVI resolution and EDID issues at the same time.

Paul Webster

6. gnudi

gnudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVI works fine with a nvidia card but is limited to 1024x768 :mad:
    VGA works fine though...

7. NickXX

NickXX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn, is it just the nvidia card that's restricting it? If so it'll be a good enough reason for me to upgrade..

8. miika

miika
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No, I wouldn't waste my money on nvidia just to get a crappy 1024x768. Instead (regardless of the manufacturer of your graphics card), if you want to use 1280x720 (or 1280x768 in 30wl46), you might want to check
    http://www.entechtaiwan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1970&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15