1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 26WL46

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jako, Jul 30, 2004.

1. jako

jako
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I took the plunge and ordered one of these from Unbeatable. It was between this and the equivilant JVC and with the Dabs 30" as an outsider. The review in What hi fi.... swayed me as well as several users here viewing the Dabs as a better pc monitor than tv. Quality screen was more inportant than the size :laugh:

2. juniorbeep

juniorbeep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm also considering this TV. Not being particularly technical minded I'd really like to know how it comapares to a regular CRT TV. I'd be watching freeview and playing xbox and maybe a few dvds but mostly regular TV so any comments would be great!

3. jako

jako
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Set arrived yesterday together with a new freview harddrive box from Unbeatable. Top marks for quick delivery. Will probably not hook it up before the weekend, but will give a run down then. First ipression however, great design and seems solid build.

Jakob

4. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I ordered this model yesterday and it's coming Monday. Also got a component lead coming soon. Therefore, I was wondering what you thought of yours? (crosses fingers fo0r good news). Have you got a dvd player hooked up with component leads/prog scan? if so what's it like compared to rgb signal?

5. jako

jako
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been travelling this week, so i haven't actually connected it yet... It is part of the weekend plan though. Had a freview box come with it, so will let you know the quality.

6. jako

jako
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First impressions:
    Setup was piece of cake.
    Picture quality is surprisingly good. Black is black or as close to black as it can be. Watched some motor racing with no problems. I tried it through both arial and through my digifusion freview box, both with great results.
    I have to say, for me this is the best 26" LCD money can buy for that price (£1.249 at unbeatable) and probably for more. The only one I have seen come close is the new panny.....

7. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Taken a day off work as Toshiba's coming today. No idea when though. Hopefully earlier rather than later. God I hate waiting for things to turn up with no idea when they might. Not even a morning/afternoon schedule. :rolleyes:

8. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    How many different groups of user definable settings can you do with the set? I briefly flicked through a magazine review in a mag i saw in WH SMith's which suggested there's only the one setting you can adjust.

9. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    do you mean so you can have different customisations for different inputs? i.e. one for dvd, one for sky, one for console, pc etc...if so, I believe there's only the one user setting.

10. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    That's annoying... From experience you're likely to need slightly different settings depending on the source to get the best out of it... I can't believe a TV costing over £1k doesn't give you more than 1 user setting...

Does it have built-in pre-sets? i.e. a movie mode, sport mode etc? If so are they any good for the material you're viewing, or crap as with most of the pre-sets manufacturers do?

11. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    There are 3 presets that I've tried briefly. It's too early to say whether they're any good.

12. Damo121

Damo121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23

Hi Rob20.

What's the verdirt then. Any good.

Cheers

Damo :)

13. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    All I can say is thank goodness I have an amp with audio delay. The picture through component (with the cheapest audio leads) is slightly better than RGB, but I neeed about 90ms audio delay to give time for the tv to catch up with the sound.

Does anyone know if there are discrete codes to get each AV input? the 'speed' of cycling though the inputs is quite annoying.

14. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Jasper,

Audio delay was what got me into this game. A Panasonic PW4 plasma with a Denon 3802 and sound and vision were miles out. The Denon 3803 with audio delay cured the problem and I was a happy chappy!

I assume you have a Pronto or Marantz. Which discrete codes are you looking for?

Cerebros,

Manufacturers' pre-sets tend to be crap. Proper calibration is the answer!

Regards

Piers

Home Cinema Engineering

www.homecinemaengineering.com

15. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    no, I don't have a pronto (not anymore, anyway), I wanted a way to select a particular input with one button with the regular remote. Is there a way?

16. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Jasper,

No sign of a discrete code on remotecentral.com. This suggests that it can't be done - unless anyone knows otherwise.

Piers

17. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I know that, but if the set only has 1 set of user definable settings, then the manufacturers pre-sets need to be usable otherwise there's no point bothering - unless you only have 1 device connected, you'd better hope all your others allow you to adjust their video output. Can't say I can do this to any of my sources except the DVD player

18. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The manufacturer's pre-sets are often adjustable in service menu so allowing differing calibration points for different sources.

Piers

19. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'd say "sometimes" rather than "often"... And of course you have to know how to get into the service menu....

20. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Choice of words was perhaps not as careful as it should have been! Agreed, and agreed.

Piers

21. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    After having the Toshiba for a week now I've had time to try it out with several inputs i.e. dvd, Gamecube and NTL digital cable. Overall I'd have to say that I'm suitably impressed with the screens performance and the set in general. Though the PQ of the Toshiba is an odd one. 80% of the time I can't fault the picture so much so that I'm not even considering it and am foccussed on the program I'm watching, (the screen is especially suited to the GC and consoles in general). Pictures are incredibly detailed and sharp from dvd sources and strong digital channels. However, I have noticed a certain amount of screen 'noise' or graininess of the picture at times, (is this a weakness of lcd sets?). This is particularly apparant with weak tv channels but also can be seen on ceratain dvd's. Though this may be in part due to weaknesses of my Pan 85 dvdr!? It would seem that my old 21" sony crt was a lot more forgiving than the Toshiba. On the other hand the black levels seem good IMO, and I haven't noticed any smearing of fast moving objects as is the weakness with lcd displays in general. Also the Toshiba provides an image free from picture distortion painfully evident on my 21" set, and even more prenonced on my dad's £1,700 32" sony crt. Overall I'm happy with my purchase especially at £1,275 inc del. Though I would say I think lcd sets still have a little way to go before you could argue to completely ditch crts. If you already have a widescreen crt and were looking for a replacement flatscreen I'd be tempted to hold out for a year or so. However, if you're looking for a smallish set for a bedroom or lounge that's reasonbly priced I can recommend the Toshiba.

Obviously the connections are fantastic. 2 component and 3 scart, (2 RGB), and pc inputs being the highlights. No dvi or hdmi, but then I've only recently bought Pan dvdr 85, (which hasn't got digital outs for picture), and am therefore not looking to upgrade for a while. 2nd component input should be sufficient for hi-def broadcasts in the coming years. Also I bought this set as a reasonably cheap filler that would end up in a bedrrom, with the intention of buying a larger set for the main room in a few years time when prices are cheaper and PQ higher, hdmi standard etc..

22. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'd agree with points about the good picture. I got the 32" version (£1500 - a snip) and even with high quality TiVo recordings the picture is fine, unless you get too close. Best quality is super, as is freeview. DVD through some cheapo phonos from the component out on my Tosh 330 gives an extremely good picture. Blacks aren't great, but the colours are excellent. I'm just wondering what sort of improvement I'd get with a decent prog scan player, as opposed to Toshiba's finest cheapo player.

23. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    While there will be an improvement, how much of an improvement you'll notice I'm not sure of. However, as my brother has the same dvd player, I'll try it out with RGB, then with component to see if I can notice much difference on the Toshiba. Though you can buy a 1.5m component lead for £15 + £2 p+p from http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=883. The lead looks suspiciously like, (well, identical), as far as I can tell to the £50 1m component cable I bought recently. Though I may be wrong on that one. For just £17 it would seem worth the risk. Especially as I'm sure the cable could be used for future hi-def applications.

24. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I had some money languishing in nochex, so I ordered up an IXOS component lead from forum sponsors tvcables.co.uk. I doubt there'll be an improvement, except in aesthetics. But a blue 3m lead beside red and green 1m leads can't be helping too much :)

25. ET2000

ET2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am on the point of buying the Tosh 26 but see there are two versions, a P model and a B model. The only difference I can see is that the P version has a rectangular stand footprint and I think side buttons on the set whilst the P version has an oblong stand footprint and the buttons on top of the set.

Anyone know if thses ar the only differences?

Also the oblong stand does not have any vertical swing adjustment (tried it in a shop) Does the square stand have any?

26. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Are the 2 models in question definitely the WL46 26". Just I think there's the older WL36 26" model that may look very similar. Otherwise I was unaware that there were 2 diferent models. If the tv also has speakers on the side of the set, (as opposed to underneath for the 46), then it's definitely the older 36 model with a lower screen resolution of 1280 by 768 rather than the 46's 1366 by 768. Go to www.toshiba.co.uk for more info.

Here's the older 36 - http://www.stasia.net/product_widescreentv.cfm/title/26WL36/section/english/editID/16

+ the new 46 - http://www.stasia.net/product_widescreentv.cfm/title/26WL46/section/english/editID/10

27. ET2000

ET2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it is definitely the 26WL46.

If you browse some of the suppliers you will see the different photos .... the stand difference is plain, but the position of the buttons is not.

I have e-mailed Toshiba UK to ask the question about the differences. No reply as yet.

28. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    That's weird. I don't know then. There's nothing I can see on their site.

29. ET2000

ET2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you look here : http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/search/26wl46.html
    you will see the two versions. However the listing is not so accurate as some sites are listed as "B" version but they display the "P" version or vice versa.

No doubt we shall find an answer eventually.

30. getdownmonkeyma

getdownmonkeyma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

I was wondering the same thing, after reading two reviews referring to the model as 'B' but only seeing retailers referring to it as 'P'.

Here is the reply I received from Toshiba today:

Dear Mr Owen,

Thank you for your recent enquiry. Please find the information that you requested as follows:

The TVs are the same. The only possible difference is that the "B" version may have had its multi-standard tuner disabled in the engineering menu. If you are only going to use the TV in the UK this will make no difference to you at all. If you were to take it abroad to anywhere in Europe you would need to be able to use the multi-standard tuner.

You may also find that the "B" model is a misprint - most of our TVs end in B for Britain because they do not have multi-standard tuners. The assumption may have been made that this TV is the same.

The difference in price is due to the fact that retailers set their own prices.

If you have any further queries or would like to go through your query with an advisor you can contact us on 0115 9766958, Monday - Friday 8.00-20.00, Saturday 8.00-18.00 and Sunday 10.00-16.00, or feel free to reply by E-mail.

We trust that the information is to your satisfaction. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on the above number.

Kind regards,
    Jayne Halton
    Toshiba Consumer Products Division Helpdesk