Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Toshiba 24Z33

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Speed2003, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Speed2003

Speed2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone owns or has used a Tosh 24Z33, I think it has only just been released and I am intrested in getting one. Any info would be very helpful

Thanks

Speed

2. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    nice, slimly styled set. sharp picture thanks to flat screen. sound is a bit tinny.
    £333 at bennettsonline.co.uk

3. Speed2003

Speed2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good, Thanks......Cheapest I have found so far is £314.98 including standard stand and shipping. That was at www.pantheronline.co.uk

Speed

4. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Speed2003, have you ordered yet? I ask because I am also considering buying this model from pantheronline (theirs is the best price I can find) but I've heard some bad reports about their service.

5. Speed2003

Speed2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah m8, Ordered it Sunday. So far service is great, I asked how long it would be till they got it in and they said 7-10 days due to the need to specially order it in from toshiba. Basically if you want one, order it now, that way you will get it alot quicker. So far they have been fine, I would order from them, as like you it was the cheapest price I could find!

Hope this helps

Mark

6. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. I wonder if having to order it specially will make arranging a Saturday delivery difficult. Oh well, only one way to find out. Wish me luck. :)

7. Speed2003

Speed2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No Probs, Maybe it would, I would e-mail and ask them rather than parting with your money!

Mark

8. Padge

Padge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought a 28Z33 in Comet for £340 a couple of weeks back!

9. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Including stand?? The Comet catalogue has the 28Z33 listed at £449.95 and 24Z33 listed at £369.95 without stand.

10. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Speed2003, has your TV arrived? First impressions?

Cheers
    Simon

11. Speed2003

Speed2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, received it a while back, tis brilliant, looks amazing, nicely styled set, It has a very good picture. The flat screen is great, never owned a TV with a completely flat screen and I must say the difference is very noticeable.
    Just bought that AVF Widescreen TV wall mount from Argos a few days back, and mounted it on it. Works perfectly, if you want to know any particulars, just ask!

Hope this helps

Mark

Ps - Yes, Comet's prices are a total rip of, shop around you will find what ever you are looking for much cheaper on the net. It does take some time, I am now looking in to getting a good dvd player, I found various cheap sites. But after abit more looking I found the one I wanted £20 cheaper again at Amazon, although it does take time its always worth it!

12. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the update, Speed2003. Glad you're happy with your purchase.

13. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. Padge

Padge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. the 28Z33 including stand is £324 in Comet. It was on display as part of a deal, with a VCR and a DVD player for £449 and I said "How much is that TV on it's own?" and they said "£324" and I said "I'll take it"

That was obviosuly in-store, give em a call and ask!

15. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like you got yourself a fantastic deal there, Padge. Nice one! (I hope it didn't cost the Comet salesperson their job. :)) However, due to limited space, I'm specifically after the 24" model.

I've gone with unbeatable.co.uk because they have a better reputation than Panther Online and, more importantly, they had it in stock for a timed delivery. I've since noticed that the 24Z33 is no longer listed on Panther's website. :confused:

BTW, did Panther's price include the Toshiba cabinet, Speed2003?

16. Padge

Padge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must have done, because from people have been saying on here prices elsewhere seem very high.

I have been back into Comet since I bought it, to look at DVD recorders and they had taken the TV off the deal, and were selling it as TV & stand for £324, so I don't think it was a one off cock up.

Anyway, I didn't want to come on here to point the finger at people paying £400 + and say haha I got it cheaper, but just to say if anyone is thinking of buying it, it's an excellent TV, an excellent look, a nice stand, and the 28 inch model with stand is £324 in Comet.

All the best!

17. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to the user manual, 25kgs.

18. MadaCup

MadaCup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    just ordered my one of these as my christmas pressie, arriving monday. £320 delivered from empire direct

19. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much. Couldn't find it online!

I'm in a wheelchair and although very capable, lifting is out of the question - so if I have to rely on other people I don't want to break their backs!

Steev

20. nelliott

nelliott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks, first post here!

I have just ordered the 24Z33 as it looks like a good sized tv for the bedroom.

I was just wondering though, does anyone who has the set know if it has phono outputs so I can connect the tv up to my av amp?

Also is everyone happy with their set - any problems (I guess its the wrong time to be asking this seeing as I've just ordered it - lol).

Thanks in advance!

21. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately, there are no RCA audio outs on the set. However, it does output via the 2nd SCART socket, so I guess you could use the audio from there with an appropriate cable.

Well, mostly happy. Mine has some geometry issues but I'm hoping to get a Toshiba engineer to come out and correct it. Also, the sound isn't fantastic but OK for a TV. Overall, I'd give it 6/10, rising to 8/10 if they can sort the geometry out.

22. MadaCup

MadaCup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    i have my 24z33 sitting in the box downstairs, im going to get my home cinema setup tommorow. Will connecting it via scart be a problem? Id really like surround sound with the tv itself as this will be its main use. Pointless me getting it if it cant be done

23. MadaCup

MadaCup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    just set mine up to test and very impressed, not as big as i was expecting but it was in the front room. Maybe it will be more how i expected when its in my room. At this moment in time i wish i had gone for the 28 inch version.

24. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found a more serious problem with my set.

Having moved the DVD from SCART 1 to SCART 2, I am now finding that very bright frames from the DVD cause the TV to flicker and display the channel number (EXT2) as if it temporarily loses sync. This might just be a fault with my set but I've a nasty feeling this may be more serious (a design or manufacturing flaw). I'll let you know what the engineer says when they come to fix the geometry.

If someone else could have a go at reproducing this problem, I'd be grateful. You'll need a scene with a very bright frame in it; an explosion or camera flash, for example.

25. nelliott

nelliott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again - thanks for the reply yesterday sdc395. I decided to go out and buy this set from Comet after Empire Direct were out of stock.

First impressions are that it is a beautifully styled set, and the picture quality (after turning the brightness down alot!) is absolutely superb. The sound is a bit tinny as others have mentioned, but I guess that is to be expected at 5w per speaker.

sdc395 - You should really try and use SCART1 as this is RGB enabled and will provide a far superior picture. I will test the DVD on SCART2 though and see what happens.

I would be grateful if you could let us know how to get into the service menu as I can see a slight geometry problem (not major, but would like to have a go at correcting it).

Just need to find a way of getting audio out of SCART2 to feed my amp (the tv definately does have an output from this socket).

26. nelliott

nelliott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried the DVD through SCART2 and couldn't reproduce the flickering problem sdc395. Have you tried a different scart cable perhaps?

27. MadaCup

MadaCup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    could someone do me a favour please? I got my new home cinema setup back home today, and dont get my TV until christmas day and cant really get it all out again. Could someone check to see if there are phono outputs (audio) from the TV so i can connect it to my amp. The guy in richer sounds said he was pretty sure it would have but i cant find any mention of this in the manual. Otherwise ill go out tommorow and get a phono to scart cable. Thanks people!

28. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps this flicker problem is just a fault with my set then. Fingers crossed. My thanks to those that tried to reproduce it.

I'm using SCART 2 because I have a Freeview box and VCR connected to SCART 1. The DVD was originally connected to SCART 1 with the same cable as I'm using now but there was no sign of the problem then. The flicker occurs with both composite and s-video signals.

Anyway, I'm going to have my set replaced.

As for the service menu, I still don't know how to access it. If I ever find out, I'll let you all know.

@adamzetec - no, unfortunately there are no phono outputs on this TV.

29. Padge

Padge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit of a spud here, but what are geometry issues? What happens if your set has a geometry issue? Will they come and fix it for free?

Cheers

30. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Geometry issues are if the picture, which should be rectangular, has bowing and other curvature. There is often a small ammount of this, as it's not too easy to get bang on. You'd have noticed if you had problems. It's tricky to get such issues on mini widescreens anyway.