Toshiba 220E & Richer Sounds

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Red Kite, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Red Kite

Red Kite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone purchased the multi-region Toshiba SD220E from Richer Sounds (£144.95) ?
    Any problems with this player from Richer?
    Are these UK machines or grey imports ?
    What warranty do you get with chipped machines?
    What firmware does this machine from Richer comes with ?
    Can the firmware be changed, if so how ?
    Whats the problem with branching that i read about with this player ?

Views and comments appreciated.

Thanks

:confused:

2. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wondered the same thing and called them up to ask and tey said tey ad none in stock so providing you find one in stock tey are cheap. However they did say that you may need to do a initial tweaks to get it to play RCE titles. I am in the process of buying one which does all this automatically and has firmware 1.5 so will play the matrix etc (see posts on this forum regards tosh problems) it is from le concepts and costs £159 plus £10 for pp. It is worth paying the extra to make sure it will do all it says on the tin. Hope this helps Regards Phil Newton

3. AlanB

AlanB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As per my earlier post, Richersounds seem to be selling older 1.3 firmware versions, so beware. Mine certainly would not play an RCE nor any Region 1 disc.

Probably better to go mail order.

All the best.

4. kjmacphee

kjmacphee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got one from Richer Sounds in Chelsea just yesterday [£134.95 on the web and they will match that price in store].

How do I find out what version the firmware is? I have had no problem playing Regions 1, 2 and 4, but have lent out the only RCE disk I have and so can't confirm that.

Have to say that I am delighted with it!

5. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I got mine from weblectricals for 155 incl P&P. Didn't know about the firmware issue until after I had ordered it, but it plays the Matrix R1 and all my other R1's fine :)

6. Marky Mark

Marky Mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine from RS, although first unit was firmware ver 1.3. After a couple of weeks RS changed it (when stock came in) now I have firmware ver 1.4 and have no problems at all.

Mind you I was not aware that there is now a firmware ver 1.5 ?

:rolleyes:

7. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    le concepts has version 1.5 listed on their website not sure if they are only ones?

8. kjmacphee

kjmacphee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found out about the Zoom, 6, 0, 6, Zoom trick to find out ROM version and I am 1.5. Can't vouch that this will be the same at all Richer Sounds but would assume so. The serial no. sticker on the box says 015E, but don't know if this is significant.

Watched the Matrix all the way through last night and can confirm there were no problems and at £134.95 it is a steal!

9. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was that the in store price? because I have seen a recent advert that was more than that will check the web... Very interesting. A company like richer sounds should but info like that in their adverts because I was put off by them wen I phoned saying that it may not be 1.4 or even 1.5. In fact they also said that it will only play rce by putting in a r1 disc first etc. kjmacphee does yours play RCE discs ok. Cheers Phil

10. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked the web and that is the price WOW! may hold off ordering form LE Concepts now unless they will match the price as they have them in stock. It would be just my luck to order one from RS and find out it has 1.3 or something! Will check with LE concepts

11. kjmacphee

kjmacphee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £134.95 is the web price but they will match it in-store (best to take a print out of the web page, although the manager immediately authorised it anyway).

They had a ton in stock.

I've lent out my only RCE disk so can't confirm that.

12. Red Kite

Red Kite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went in my local Richer Sounds store today and they had the multiregion SD220 in stock.
    On the box there is a sticker with a serial number and bar codes etc on it, also as on this sticker it says 015E.
    This is the firmware number.
    I purchased one for £134.95 as they matched the web price.
    Did the zoom,6,0,6,zoom trick when i got home just to check the fimware number and it confirmed the firmware as V1.5
    :)

13. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    a deep pit full of rattle snakes and a very old l
    Ratings:
    +14
    .....does the 220 play RCE disc's then? has anyone found out yet?

I have just brought the 220, firmware 1.5, from richer sounds for 134 quid but have no RCE disks yet, is there some other "tweek" i need to do or does 1.5 cover this now?

........BTW, great little machine, well happy, a good replacement for my 2 1/2 year old wharfedale 750!!!!:) :)

cheers!
    pizzed-monkey

14. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm tempted to get the Tosh 220E at Richer Sounds as well but I was wondering if there is a way to upgrade the firmware? I need a new DVD player to replace the ageing Yamaha S510 for my parents. Also has anyone tried out the MP3 playback on the 220E yet?

15. Marky Mark

Marky Mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have played a number of MP3 discs on my Tosh 220 all with no problems at all.

Good quality as well !!!

16. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    ..........the only thing about Richer sounds is that they really DONT want to sell you a tosh 220!:confused:

.......when I brought mine they would of rather sold me the Aiwa 480 (not a bad player really), ....just why the hell was I buying this toshiba, didn't I know how great the Aiwa was?

someone else who walked in whilst I was there for a tosh 220, ended up walking out with the aiwa and a confused look on his face......

......hell, even the bloke in the store had an aiwa at home......"just give me the toshiba" was my reply....a shug of the sholders - well if that what you want silly man......

...now my Toshiba has a playback fault so I needed to take it back today.....I thought I'd take it to a different branch so i didn't have to go through the Aiwa debate again...so I phone them up to check they have stock before I wander down there....so he says:
    ."you've got the toshiba? why? dont you want the aiwa, its loads better, for 5 quid more I'll swap you that for your broken toshiba."

"look, have you got the flippin toshiba in stock? thats all I need to know, stop with the aiwa stuff!"

"well yes, if thats what you want"

thankyou!:mad:

......so it is obviously a company wide policy?......

.....just looking at the box on replacement unit now, I see its been opened already and resealed, a careful checkout is needed when I get home I think!:rolleyes:

....erm.....I think the point of this rant/story is the old one of make your OWN mind up before you go to Richersounds, if you want a Toshiba 220, GET a toshiba 220......if you want an Aiwa, GET an Aiwa.......I hate to see people swayed by staff who have a vested interest in certain products they carry.......

Remember: richersounds are cheap box shifters, nothing else!

cheers!
    pizzed-monkey

17. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with you on that one pizzed-monkey. My mate wanted to buy a Denon CD-R but they kept on talking about a Sony model. Just make sure you know what you want beforehand and tell them. If they suggest something else without asking then just repeat yourself very s l o w l y ^_^

By then they should have got the message. Chances are that they've overstocked on the Aiwa DVD player and need to get rid of them. If thats t he case I'd say its they're fault for not doing enough market research.

18. ryonhill

ryonhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i went into the hull branch of richer sounds on monday intent on buying the tosh 220e but the manager told me that it was a nightmare to play rce discs on it and reccomended the aiwa or the wharfdale instead.

now i am looking at the marantz 4100 ose or even the marantz 4200. although the marantz 4200 is £260 at richer sounds its only £220 at home cinema heaven (on the web)!

19. Red Kite

Red Kite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also purchased my Toshiba 220E from Richer Sounds in Kingston Upon Hull.
    I rang first to see if they had any in stock, they did but they still tried to sell me a Aiwa instead.
    I went to the store to purchase the Toshiba and they then tried to sell me a Sherwood DVD player.
    They must have alot of Aiwa and Sherwoods models to shift
    ;)
    The guy in the store had no idea about the firmware issue, but
    it was firmware V1.5

20. Red Kite

Red Kite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops, it was a Wharfedale DVD player not a Sherwood :blush:

21. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might go along and ask for a TAG Mclaren/Arcam DV88 as a joke ^_^ See if they would recommend an Aiwa player or not then...

The Marantz 4100 OSE was my original mid-range DVD player of choice because it can spin CDs quite decently as well as producing a good image. Easily hacked too with a One-For-All/PDA. Its quite nice to see it drop down in price but I've bought my player already and just need component cables.

Hopefully not all Richer Sounds staff are like this but so far it seems like a nationwide trend.

22. Matt M

Matt M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Belated reply to Pizzed Monkey.

I asked the assistant at Richer Sounds if the Tosh played RCE. He assured me it did. I was sceptical but was promised I could return the machine if any probs. A £135 I thought it was worth the risk.

Low and behold, it plays my Black Hawk Down RCE disk. I wouldn't take this as a guarantee that all RS Toshs' are RCE compatable...... but at least some are.

I luckily got to the shop before the Aiwa hard sell began!!!!

23. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cheers matt M,

......good news that, not that I've got any RCE disks yet, but its good to know I can order some if I want and give it a go.

I was pretty sure that firmware 1.5 had sorted this problem anyway. When I told the bloke in richersounds this is why I wanted a player with 1.5, and that I needed to check the box first, his reply was the Toshiba didn't play RCE disks but guess what? ..........the Aiwa did..........

........to be honest I'm not sure he knew what firmware was.:eek:

nice!
    pizzed-monkey

24. pete18

pete18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    GUESS WHAT HAPPENED TO ME AT RICHERSOUNDS

I went in to my nearest richer sounds after seeing the tosh 220 on their web site, so i went to buy one, they said they were out of stock what about the AIWA, so said NO THANKS, I told him that i was after a sony, pioneer or toshiba, so he got out a sony 300, then a tosh 210, knowing that the tosh 210 was the model before the tosh 220 i said that i would buy that instead. I got it for £149.95 multi region. Was that a good buy, The reason I also got it was that I could play cd-r cd's and also I was going to buy it when it was out before it got updated by the 220.

from pete

25. HighlandeR

HighlandeR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look man if u go into Richer sounds and you want a specific product dont let them fool u into thinking another models better and cheaper!

If they do keep on hasseling you, take the stickers and stick them on his forehead then shove a lolipop in his gob, then take the icepops and fridge unit and simply run out the store with it.

26. HighlandeR

HighlandeR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh and back to subject...

Toshiba 220E is winning all the awards and scooping all the biz but id still have to wait for a DVD player with divx support.

Divx is quickly overtaking the VCD/SVCD standard... with good reason to also;)

Hopefully with sigmas DIY DVD board with DivX support we will soon get DVD players equiped with DivX hardware support.

27. pete18

pete18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    just seen the dvd player i bought for £149.95 for £99.95 on their web site what should I do

28. HighlandeR

HighlandeR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    id replace it with the model u wanted... the 220e is scooping all the awards !

If not wait untill stock arrives.... theres a very good reason there out of stock:)

cos there the best currently out there! dont let richer sounds fobb u off with another replacement or different brand.

29. pete18

pete18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have tested and watch a couple of clips of Lord of the rings and black hawk down, There is nothing wrong with the dvd player toshiba 210, put do you think that I should go into the store and ask for the £50 or just swapped it for the toshiba 220. I have e-mailed richer sounds and sent them a copy of my receipt and a picture of the price of the 210e on the web site which is £50 cheaper than the shop.

from pete18

30. HighlandeR

HighlandeR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thats the thing u could just go and replace it with the upgraded model of yours....

Or just get the 50 quid back.....

Im sure theres nothing really wrong but then the 220E is the upgrade, Ie better!