1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 220e or 420e ??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by devastator, Sep 17, 2002.

1. devastator

devastator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Still undecided..

I can get the 220e for £135 from Richer Sounds and the 420e for £169 from dvdplayers.co.uk.

Not sure which one to go for... is 420e worth the extra £34
    Anyone help?:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 420 has a built in decoder so if you have a seperate 5.1 amp I don't see the point, I have the 220 and it is excellent. I make the assumption that the 420 is the same as 220 in all aspects except the decoder. Correct me if I am wrong. Hope this helps

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Amongst other points, the 420e graphics processing unit runs at twice the frequency of the 220e's, also it has gold-plated sockets, the ability to output any input signal as either PAL or NTSC (doing the conversion internally). It also has a much sexier fascia! :cool:

I've got a 420e and it's an awesome player, yet so it the 220e.

I'd suggest that the model up in the range is naturally going to perform better than those below, it's up to you where you decide enough is enough and don't end up spending more than you want.

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Lucky you! My mate has to wait three weeks for a black, multiregion one:( . Very nice player tho'

5. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I nearly had to disagree with you, but reading it again slowly you may be right!
    Are you saying that you could play a PAL disk as an NTSC one if you so deisred???

My 220 can play NTSC disks as PAL or NTSC, but only PAL disks as PAL :rolleyes:

Not that I'm worried. ;)

6. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some differences I noticed (from Toshiba )

220 has MP3 support, a 27MHz D to A, and 2 channel analogue O/P

420 has HDCD support and a 54MHz D to A, and 6 channel analogue o/ps

7. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, but these could be typos on the Toshiba site:

The 220 sample rate is 24bit/192KHz, and the player supports DTS

The 420 sample rate is 24bit/96KHz, and the player DOES NOT supports DTS

:confused:

8. devastator

devastator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Cheers for the info... I was a bit clearer and hovering towards the 420e side until that last post by Kevenh which suggested the 220e as having the better sample rate and DTS.???

Can anyone confirm sample rate info?? hope its just a typo on Toshiba site, in which case I reckon its the 420e.

9. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    I am also about to buy either a 220 or a 420 and i have looked on several sites after seeing these comments, they all confirm the stats that kevenh mentioned.

I think the issue with the SD420E not supporting DTS is actually that it only has an internal DD decoder, so if you want DTS you need an external decoder/amp for this.

Can anyone advise on whether the difference between the sampling rates would seriously make a difference to actual sound performance.

TBH, i am now thinking more about buying the 220 as it seems that it supports everything i need, though the 420 does look nicer :)

10. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Regarding the 420's Pal/NTSC output does this mean i could play my NTSC discs on an older TV that does not play NTSC?
    I am currently looking for a player to use in the bedroom with an old 21" TV.

11. Bruce123

Bruce123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My two penneth for what its worth.

This morning I took delivery of a 420e purchased as a gift for a family member. I couldn't resist making sure it played R1 and RCE so fired it up through my projector using component outputs.
    The picture quality was very good, nearly on a par with my own Pioneer 737.
    The accompanying packaging states that DTS is suppoprted but as mentioned decoding would have to be done externally. It also suppoprts MP3.
    The main reason for this choice was that it converts NTSC to Pal 50 for older TV's.
    Looks wise it is far more sexy than a 220e, but I doubt my dad will appreciate it!!

B

12. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    My understanding of NTSC to PAL50 is that you can play R1 disks in colour on a UK television, however the images could stutter due to the overhead of conversion.

The results you would get depends on the quality of the conversion within the player, though the 420 seems to have a pretty fast DA converter, so it would probably be reasonable

Someone on here already with a SD420 would probably be able to give you a better idea of the conversion quality.

(got beaten to it :) )

13. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    I believe the Tosh 420 is based on an LG player, I dont know if that means anything different to the 220.

also I think the 420 is the first tosh to support PAL50 not the hybrid PAl60 which means you can back up your DVD's to VHS

14. devastator

devastator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Ironduke

LG is counted as a cheaper brand of player nowadays... if you don't mind me asking, what made you believe this was based on the LG??

To back up DVD's you would still need to get over the macrovision?? or is macrovision already disabled on the 420e?

15. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    Multiregion Magic are doing one with VCr Friendly option, I know these guys from doing business's with them awhile ago, I inquired about the 420 and the first thing he replied was it is based on an lg player.

I asked was that a good thing he said that it doesnt have the famous hardware inside that made the 100 & 200 series the best bang for your buck.

Then he said He would hook it up to a big ass Projection TV and put it through its paces this week.

The main reason I am interested in this player is because on the VCDhelper.com player peages some guy says this player does every thing, DVD-VCD, DVD-SVCD, DVDR, DVDRW, PAL50, DVD-MP3

so if its picture rocks too it would be the perfect upgrade to my ol Hitachi 505e

16. devastator

devastator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Can you post the response from the guy at MultiRegion Magic, i'd be interested in the test results.

On the MultiregionMagic site they have the option for a VCR friendly 220e but not a VCR friendly 420e. ???

Couldn't find this player in the players section of vcdhelp.com. Do you have a link to this??

17. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    I asked about the VCr friendly, they said yes soon, but They are very busy unpacking stuff at the moment, I think they have moved.

I will post the results I get back from gavin