Toshiba 220e and PAL60?

D

Delorian

Hi,

I have searched through the forum but could not find a definate answer to whether the Tosh 220e offers PAL60 or some other way of converting the output so that an older TV will have no problem playing NTSC.

Any help would be much appreciated...

Delorian,

the 220 unfortunately does not have this conversion capability.
Models 420 upwards do, however.

I concure with mafioso the 220 does not have this option the only settings are Auto or Pal. If you choose Auto it will output NTSC when R1 DVD's are played and if you choose Pal it will refuse to play R1 DVD's.

The previous posters are right.

Last night I tried an R1 NTSC DVD in my Tosh 220.
In Auto and PAL.
I found that if I chose PAL it refused to play the R1 DVD.

I was a little surprised. I thought my Tosh 2109 played R1 DVD's as NTSC or PAL60 depending on the PAL/AUTO setting :confused: and expected the newer Tosh 220 to still have that feature!

So what's the story then? Are all region 1 NTSC? And if I had a newer TV would I be able to play them ok on auto?

That pink problem I found really weird, Peter Jackson looked very flaming!!! Guess it's how the TV deals with what it gets. I presume there is no external, scart converter that would sit between your player and TV that would do me till I buy a new one.

I assume all R1 disks are NTSC

If you know the make and model number of the TV you plan to use with the Tosh 220 share it with us, and some one is bound to know if it is PAL & NTSC compatible.

FWIW My TV must be over 5 years old, and it works OK with my Tosh 220, and R1 dvd's.

It's a Panny TXW28R4DP :?

It's a Sanyo, which I don't think have the best reputation anyway. I'd say it's not that much older than 5 years. It doesn't matter too much though, the kind ppl at cdwow said they'd give me a refund if I got it back them fast enough. Just means no region 1 till I get a new TV.

Guys,

to cut a long story short. If your planning to purchase R1 dvds and you have a Toshiba 220, then you need to have a TV that has NTSC playback capability ie a tv no more than 3 years old (to be safe). Otherwise the picture will either be in b/w or the colours completely screwed.

If you have an 'old' tv, the cheaper option is to buy a Toshiba 420MR or 520MR which cost an extra £30+ pounds and can convert NTSC to PAL60 so you can play your R1 DvDs on any European spec.

If you're feeling an extract £700+ richer and want to enjoy all the advantages of the widescreen options then buy a new wide screen tv as 99% of them will have NTSC playback capability so you can use your Tosh 220 to play R1.

The choice is yours.

Interesting

I have the 520 but when playing R1 disks they are in B&W. Am I doing something wrong?

Petrolhead,

you seem to have a tv that doestn't support NTSC playback.
To get round this problem you need to get your 520 to convert NTSC to Pal.

I remember seeing on the 420 a switch at the back which you can toggle between NTSC and Pal60. Alternatively, you should be able to do this on the remote in the set-up menu.

I'm pretty sure the 520 has the same feature, being a higher spec machine. This should sort the b/w problem out playing R1 discs.

The only switch is the prog san at the back

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom