Toshiba 220 v Pioneer 350 (I'm not asking for recommendations...please read :))

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RL123, Mar 11, 2003.

1. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi. Got a little question for you all

First, the background:

I got a multi region Toshiba 220 on Friday from RS (I'm lucky to have one within walking distance of my Uni ;)). Anyway the sales dude was trying to sell me a Pioneer DV350 saying 'its much better, has more features, better RGB picture, supports more formats, plays RCE' and maybe 3 or 4 things that I can't remember.

His main point though was that so many people are buying 220s because of the pic quality but this is because reviewers were comparing Component from the 220 with RGB or S Video from other players. He said the DV350 would wipe the floor with an SD220 when comparing RGB. :confused:

Now I've only used RS once in the past and the folks there seemed intelligent and trustworthy. So is he telling the truth or was it just a sales-pitch? I stuck with the 220 and am very pleased with it. The picture quality is superb (through RGB as well ;)) but the sound quality is excellent. HUGE step-up from my old, faithful Wharfedale 750 :rolleyes:

Anyway he said if I'm not happy then I can return it within 14 days. So would you swap them or should I stick with what I've got? IF the picture was better (which I doubt until I hear an impartial person saying so) would I really notice a difference on my 28" TV?

2. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    If you are happy with it then stick with it! I got a 220 fo rmy mother in law and think it's a great machine.

3. Ian Carter

Ian Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I'm affraid this is slightly off of your topic but I think you will be able to help me. I am to currently torn between the tosh and the Pioneer.

Could someone please tell me which side of the player the Digital Co-axial output jack is (from the back or the front) as I have a shortish lead and it could make a difference to my choice.

Thanks and sorry for the interuption

4. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you like it and are happy, why confuse yourself when a couple of people inevitably tell you that the 350 is better?

As per usual with RS, it would more likely be that there's a bigger margin in them selling you the 350, or that they have large stocks that they can't shift - which may well be the case judging by your salesman's comments.

Also, depending on what display your using, the PQ from the 220 component outputs compared to the SCART output is likely to be negligible at best. Although why he thinks reviewers would use the component output on the 220 but the S-video output on other machines is beyond me... (unless the other machines could only output S-video, in which case the comparison is pointless anyway).

On a 28" TV, I would stick my neck out and say that the 220's component output PQ would be indistinguishable from it's RGB SCART output PQ unless you were viewing from about 10 inches from the screen maybe.

It would still be worth investing in a £30ish, decent SCART lead rather than the free-in-the-box one though.

6. Ian Carter

Ian Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks - the link doesn't quite work for me but I found what you meant - looks like its the Tosh for me then, I heard its less fussy with less than perfect media than th Pioneer.

7. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Yeah I know what you mean. tbh I am pretty much a newbie (maybe 2 1/2 years of owning a DVD player?). Therefore I don't know for certain whether or not I have got the best deal for my money which is why I asked in the first place

Yeah most likely. He said he owns a DV350 btw. Make of that what you want ;)

I don't have component inputs and doubt I would upgrade my TV in the next 4-5 years tbh so this isn't a factor for me really

I'm using Toshiba RGB cables (about £15 each). The picture quality is a big improvement over my old cables. I'm using the Argos switchbox so I've had to buy 2. No point buying a good cable to go into the box and having a cheapie connecting the box to the TV :)

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rest assured, you won't do any better for the money :)

He told you that? I'm guessing he'd have bought it from his employer... which probably means it did indeed present the lowest 'cost' price ;)

Sounds like you're sorted :) Now just get on and enjoy your new player :smashin:

9. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

lol :D

I kind of trusted what he was saying until he said he owned one. Then he suddenly lost all credibility. Why would the deputy manager of RS in Preston own a £120 machine? :confused:

I went through my collection at the weekend pulling out any DVDs with impressive 5.1 moments. Spent about 3 hours watching little scenes and clips :rolleyes:

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apart from the manager, aren't all their staff deputy managers? :)

Their pay is a lot lower than you might imagine - after all, other than recommending Mordant Short, Eltax and Cambridge Audio all the time, what do they actually do?

RS are good for products like the Tosh 220, a 'no-brainer' purchase that you can (if you're lucky) walk in, buy and leave... saving several £££ into the bargain :)

11. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Good point ;)

Including his rambling about the Pioneer I was only in there for 15 minutes.

Walked in, asked, paid, picked up, left.

12. Duvel

Duvel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Any one know for sure if the Tosh 220 can play DVD-R recorded on a Panny E30 and/or Pioneer 104 DVD writer? This is the only thing stopping me from making a 35 mile journey to the nearest RS and buying one.

13. rockyglw

rockyglw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Tosh will play disks recorded on Pioneer 104 perfectly if you use good media such as Verbatim and Traxdata (Ritek). I have even used Verbatin DVD-RW's with perfect results on my Tosh 220 and 210 machines. Cannot speak for the Panasonic E30 as have no experience

14. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I got a Toshiba 520E and demoted my Wharfedale 750S to CD player duty. I have a 32" Sony TV (connected via RGB scart) and although I only did a brief test I can't say I noticed much improvement at all in picture quality. The sound is passed digitally to my receiver and I certainly didn't notice any difference in that.

Over all I was a little disapointed.

Can you be more specific about the improvements you noticed so I know what to look for?

Thanks