toshiba 2109-disc errors

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hjls, Apr 2, 2002.

1. hjls

hjls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had this excellent machine since it was first released(£400)but in the last two weeks i'm starting to get disc errors and it's unable to read many discs.these are mostly new rental releases and most of my reg2 collection play fine.some will play if open/shut tray is repeated 20 or so times but a lot like "jeepers creepers" are not recognised at all.these discs all play fine in my pc.
    i recently bought and returned 5 philips dvdr1000 recorders to sevenoaks as this machine has fatal flaws not cured by the philips update disc,i.e wont play pre-recorded discs,disc error on trying to record,and many more but thats another post.point is some of these discs were passed between the two decks and the problems with the tosh have only occured since.
    is this a compatability problem with newer discs.a defect of some kind passed on from the philips(is this possible?)or just old age as it sounds very laboured when loading discs.
    i'm reluctant to replace it as i love this deck.it's not a matter of cost, if i could get a new one i'd buy in a shot.i'm buying the pioneer dvd recorder as an archiver soon,but neither it nor the diabolical philips match up in picture quality.is this a common problem and can it be repaired.mtia.
    btw its reg2 only never been touched.

2. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi there

I love my 2109 as well, what a great machine, a classic. Anyway, the only problem i had with mine was American Psyco, if u can possibly give me a list of films that u have problems with, I can x-check to see if i have them. A least we can find out if their is a hardware/software problem.

As for Jeepers Creepers I think there is a problem in the disc, check out the DVD talk forum, quite a few players affected.

3. hjls

hjls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks harj,it turns out i need a new pick-up.about £130 parts and labour.any one who has had both the 2109 and the 210 i would love any comparisons.undecided as i love this deck but the 210 is only £20 more than repair.

4. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have had a 2109 for a couple of years and love it. However, a couple of months ago the picture froze up after playing for 45 to 60 minutes, initially on rental discs, then newly bought ones.
    I went along to my local dealer who suggested any repair might be nearly as costly as a new purchase.
    I eventually decided to replace it with a 210e and, whilst this is a very good machine--- living up to all the hype---it is not quite as good as the 2109.

I just might get it repaired and keep it as a spare.
    Hope this helps.
    Brian.

5. hjls

hjls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks brian it does.confirmed what i thought already.i'll have it repaired.would have liked the new 510 but i'm waiting for price of pioneer recorder to drop a little,that and the new 510 would not have been allowed by"she who must be obeyed-well pandered to anyway".btw anyone even remotely considering a philips recorder-dont.trust me.
    thanks again brian.

6. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    my 2109 is just over 2 years old, i hope its not going to suffer the same problems. IMHO the 210 though a good machine, just does not look the biz, more 'lifestyle' looking and excellent pic quality (mates) i think my 2109 just shades it.