1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 210, Richer or Multi

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stu.king, Feb 5, 2002.

1. stu.king

stu.king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    Thanks to Jase, Pointon,alextgreen,nigel,cheerful & lexx for all your replies re my earlier post.

Made up my mind, decided to go for the Tosh 210.

Richer sounds have it at £169 on their web site, + £9 p&p +£30 for a 5 year warranty.

Trouble is they are out of stock at the moment and they don't know when they expect some in.

Added it to the "wish list" and keep checking my e-mails, (via genie sms on the old faithful moby) but got 6 Dvds but nothing to play them on.

Lexx mentioned Multiregion magic, they have it, more expensive & can't seem to match the Richer warranty deal but, for 30 notes they will make the tosh "video compatable"

Don't wish to appear thick but does this mean that i can just trot down to Blockbuster, rent the latest movie, take it home and copy it to video?

Thought i read somewhere that there was a certain encription on discs that stopped you doing this, not that i am going to of course.

Anyway is the extra 30 sobs worth it or should i hang fire and wait for richer to come up with the goods.

You comment please guys and girls.

Thanks....Stu

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'd say keep pushing Richer for a while. Ask them to give a call to the mail order place. That price and their warranty is worth it.

3. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stu

The "video compatible" bit is a side effect of the hardware multi-region mod that they perform. This disables "Macrovision" which is the copy protection system to which you refer. This is not "on the disc" but is built into the hardware.

This would in theory allow you to copy to VHS but of course, you would not consider doing this due to copyright issues. :)

I'd go for it now instead of waiting for Richer. Multiregion Magic are recommended in these forums and you can play your DVD's straight away! They could be £100 cheaper - but if they ain't got them it's academic isn't it?

The 210 is worth twice the price anyway.

Cheers

Laurel

4. helicop

helicop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stu,
    I went for a mail order toshiba 210 DVD from Robert Whyte's last week. I was told that they were out of stock and moreover they were now obsolete. Apparently, and this is only what I've been told, the 210 is being replaced by a slimline version probably similar in looks to the Pioneer 444. I was told the new 210 will be known as the 220 and will have many if not all the toshiba 210 goodies on-board.
    Does anyone know anything about this, better still is there a review as I certainly haven't seen one.
    Robert Whyte's gave me a delay of 3 weeks although I'm not optomistic about this. I was also given a 3 week date for my Tosh 32ZP18P tv but as these are like rocking horse droppings, I'm not optimistic about this either.
    I can't wait for the merchandise to finally arrive. Can anyone with similar hardware suggest the best set-up for Grundig Sky digital reciever, Panasonic VCR and DVD playback.
    Got good prices at Robert Whyte's using the website at
    www.pricerunner.com

5. stu.king

stu.king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks helicop, that reminds me, when i do get the tosh i also need to know the best way to connect the dvd, video and grundig digibox.

I think you need a automatic Scart switcher box.

anyone point me in the right direction.

thanks

stu

6. terminator

terminator
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    walked into bristol shop of richer and got 210 multi for 189.95 it came with a quick set sheet and no manual rang them weds they said toshiba would charge them 25.00 for manual so they would photocopy for me arrived thurs excellent service and brillant dvd player

7. stu.king

stu.king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    Well, i did make up my mind to get the tosh 210 but richer sounds had it on their web site for £168 but were out of stock.

Today when i checked still out of stock but they put the price up to £189, what a cheek.

Stuff em, i might go to www.multimagic.co.uk and for another £30 notes get the macrovison disabled so i can back up on video.

Only problem is they don't do a 5 year warranty for £29.95 like richer do.

Anybody know if Multimagic offer a warranty longer than the toshiba 1 year warranty?

Can't find anything on their web site but i could try e-mailing them i spose.

think i know what the answer will be!

Anyone got any views...Stu

8. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Stu

Can't comment on Multimagic warranty, but try giving Domestic & General a call on 0870 607 5566.

Quite a few retailers use their policies and sell on. If you go direct you can get a good deal.

I recently used them to cover my Pana RP television. Shop quoted me nearly 500 nicker for 5 year cover (extra 4 years) on a £1600 tv. Gave me the usual rubbish about "expensive to repair" etc. I went to D & G and got it for £156.

Once you have a policy, you can get a discount on further cover. So a tip here is to cover something cheap and then go back later for the expensive stuff.

Cheers

Laurel

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have had a few things in my wishlist with Richer Sounds for months snd they have never come in to stock!

I know this doesn't directly help you Stu, as I doubt they sell multi-region dvd players, but ASDA (yes the supermarket) give a FREE three year warranty on every electronic appliance they sell. Quite good I thought!:)