1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 17WLT46B

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Type23, Oct 30, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Type23

Type23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Has anyone got any experience (picture quality etc) of the Toshiba 17WLT46B tempted to get one from JL as its £699 + 5 year free warranty, tv in bedroom has just gone bust :( So good excuse to upgrade :clap: Does anyone know of anywhere cheaper I could quote for a price match also ? Cheers.

Rgds

Rich

2. boozydoo

boozydoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to get one, but not seen any reviews yet. You can get it for just over 500notes from several online suppliers. no 5yr warranty though.

3. rkb

rkb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  4. Type23

Type23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rkb,
    That is not the same model, :lesson: the only distinction is the Toshiba code now has a T in it i.e 17wlT 46B . This latest/new "T" designation model has the the inbuilt digital decoder/freeview capability etc .

Rich

5. Type23

Type23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone come across this freeview enabled model please ? Thank you.

Rich

6. peterdltd

peterdltd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba 17WLT46B. Picture is good, especially from the IDTV or from Sky+. Ever so slightly smeary but otherwise good flesh tones and no nasty blocks. Beware thoug, I had to try 3 units until I found one that works. The first had a faulty remote, the second had a picture that was constantly solarised the third works fine - until you put it in standby mode. For some reason the set will not turn on in the morning! It has been to Tosh for 'repairs' and came back with the comment "Soak tested. No fault found". I haven't had it back long enough to confirm if the fault remains but as nothing was done I suspect it will still be there. MY feeliong is it has something to do with the automatic checking for new software at 3am every day. It clearly makes an attempt and then crashes. The only way to recover is to switch it off and on again at the receiver. Not the most user friendly function on a cold morning in bed! Strange that Tosh customer services confirm this is a fault, yet they couldn't reproduce it on the test bench. Apart from this it is a good IDTV, but check your purchase carefully.

7. shaukat

shaukat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Type23

Type23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for info, can't say that fault reports give me good feeling about model !! May just hold off on purchase for a while going to look round at other models.

cheers

Rich

9. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    £700 for a 17" tv seems like a lot of money to me. Especialy as the 17" Toshiba without the freeview tuner is just £399.95 from RGB direct, (+ p&p). I'd rather pick up a seperate freeview tuner for £50 and save £250. Get yourself a recodable dvd player with the money you save. :)

10. Fisher

Fisher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I got the version without the digital tuner for our son at Christmas for £412.00 from RGB (We went to the shop and they knocked a tenner off the 'instore' price). It's hooked up to Sky, DVD and PS2. He doesn't have it connected to an aerial so we don't know what the reception is like on the analogue tuner.

It does seem quite good on all three devices. I just find going from a CRT to an LCD very different. Some programmes through Sky are outstanding, others are not so good (not bad, but just not as good). The picture off of DVD and PS2 is very good.

I've been looking at the 32" LCD models and I have to be honest, I would hope they would produce a better picture off Sky than the 17" or i would stick to CRT.

One problem I haven't got round is the fact the picture off PS2 shifts to the left by about an inch. All three devices are RGB into a Vivenco scart switcher and that goes into AV1 on the Tosh.

The bottom line is for a bedroom set for a 12 year old it's great.