1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 17WL46 vs. Sharp LC-20E1E LCD TVs

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jomppa, Jun 5, 2004.

1. jomppa

jomppa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :confused:
    Hi

Can anyone help with a choice issue.

I am looking at buying either a 20 inch 4:3 LCD TV or a 17 inch widescreen LCD very quickly.

Sharp LC-20E1E ~ £549 digitaldirect.co.uk
    Panasonic TX-20LA1 ~ £525

1) The SHARP is a normal 4:3 proportioned TV and I read somewhere that this is wireless ready - but you need a "SHARP smart link wireless" video sender accessory which allows video transmission to the TV from the transmitter. I know there is another SHARP oin the market with wireless included - just wondered if this model really does have the option with the additional package.

2) The number of pixels is much less than that of the widescreen models - and only capabale of VGA - is this really true - so I wouldn't get XGA resolution and would only get a poorer PC picture?

Toshiba 17WL46 ~ £465 electricaldiscount.co.uk
    Relysis RLT1729 ~ £396 svcdirect.co.uk

1) These are both widescreen and have much more pixels - so I would have expected to work better as a PC screen. Is this true - dopes anyone have a model and say that it's a good PC picture?

Any other comments most welcome.

Thanks,
    John.
    :)

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I saw one of the relysis tvs yesterday and was very impressed, it would certainly be my choice for a smallish kitchen or bedroom tv

ad

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Pretty well all (if not actually all) 20 inch 4x3 LCDs are 640x480 panels. This means that you can only use them at VGA resolution with a PC, and also that they will actually degrade a PAL TV signal in order to display it.

Curiously, smaller 4x3 LCDs are typically 1024x768 or more. And so are larger ones. Just the 20's are to be avoided for 4x3 shapes.

16x9s vary, too. At 22 inch, Panasonic and Sharp offer 848x480 pixels. Again, this will degrade a PAL signal and limits PC use. Whereas Samsung (say) at the same size offers 1280x720.