toshHD-A1+sammybd1000

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by oscarmadfish, Apr 27, 2007.

1. oscarmadfish

oscarmadfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just got both of these
    i use a denon 2307 so both connected by HDMI
    can someone tell me the exact settings to use in both players menus to get the best of the various sounds ?

2. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    just to let you no that the sammybd1000 doesnt do TRue HD Audio

connect the HD-a1 using 6 audio cables to the back of your amp.

Look at the bak of your amp it will inputs that say

Front
    Surround
    Sub

etc

plug them in there :thumbsup:

3. oscarmadfish

oscarmadfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks jaime
    i dont think i made myself to clear sorry lol my first post
    i mean how do i configure both players in there set up menus
    as for hd sound why use anolouge on the a1 when i can use HDMI ?
    and i thought the sammy only does not do DTS-HD as indeed i thought nothing else does but i may be wrong

4. oscarmadfish

oscarmadfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the denon2307 has 2xHDMI in and 1xHDMI out

5. johnno23

johnno23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the 2307......great piece of gear for the price tag.
    As for the best sound it really depends a great deal upon what you want to listen to.
    first off in the settings menu just select the 2307 to auto. no user variables
    as this can be done whenever you want on the rearside of the controller to suit your needs at any time.
    1. use the auto setup with the test mic supplied.
    2. then go get your favourite piece of music and set the 2307 to direct.
    3. make some minor adustments only or better still just move the angle of the left and right speakers slightly as this also impacts what you here and where you sit.
    4. if you are satisfied with the full sound of traditional stereo go get a DVD. from your collection.
    5. set the 2307 to dolby dts it does not matter.do not bother with extra setting etc on the player.........just let it read. the 2307 will do the rest and it does it very well. The 2307 will automatically choose the correct res and sound encoding. If you dvd has both dts and dolby listen to both to decide.
    If you do not really much difference between the 2 then its your speaker sytem. I was lucky to have a 2 hour test session when buying the 2307 and listened and watched just one section of a dvd that had both encodings. I was truly suprised that many speaker systems do not capture clearly the nuances between the 2 sound tracks. RESULT.....I also upgraded my speakers.
    As a last comment I ran the test and set everything up but then kept tweaking and enjoying but after a while the novelty wears out and finally went back to the setup program and let the 2307 do its work. The reason is that after a while you realise that what was sensational was actually unrealistic. I am 50 and I remember having amps that could add echo or reverb. WOW sounded great for about a week until your ears got tired and you realise that you need to try to get back to a sound as close to what was intended by the sound engineer who produced it in the first place.
    good luck
    john

6. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Yes, use the HDMI with both. I can't speak for the Samsung settings (no, it doesn't support DD+ or DD-TrueHD -- look in the manual specs), but for the A1, select auto for the HDMI output. This will cause it to output LPCM for advanced CODECs and bitstream for legacy CODECs (let's your reciever decode them).

Review the manuals for both players so that you understand the setup options.

7. Basil Plumley

Basil Plumley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    I thought that HDMI v1.3 was needed at both ends to decode the HD sound formats...does the 2307 have v1.3? If not, the the 5.1 analogue outputs is the only way to get the HD sound formats (DDTrue HD from the A1 and LPCN from the Sammy)

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    FOR THE NEW SOUND FORMATS:

pcm, DD+ and TrueHD sound tracks can be dealt with on the A1 via analogue or HDMI 1.1. The Sammy 1000 can also deal with pcm sound tacks via analogue or HDMI 1.1.

9. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    There is no guarantee that HDMI will sound better than analogue. Depends whether the DAC's in you amp are better than the DAC's in your player. HDMI will be more convenient of course and easier to set up.

10. T800

T800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Remember to check if the amp gives the correct 10dB boost to the sub channel, if it doesn't you will need to do it yourself.

Set the speakers to small on the Samsung.

Turn off any midnight modes or voice enhancers.

11. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    it does apply correction automatically over HDMI (sounds glorious). I think its optional over analogue ins.

12. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Just to clarify. It's necessary to have HDMI 1.3 at both ends in order to output the non-legacy soundtracks (like DD+ and DD-THD) via HDMI bitstream, but that's only useful if the processor/receiver contains the bitstream decoders. At the present time, I'm not sure there are ANY processors/receivers yet capable of processing the "advanced" soundtracks. Still, if a processor/receiver does support HDMI audio (some only support HDMI video), then it probably supports multi-channel LPCM.

Since multichannel LPCM works fine with HDMI 1.1 and above, advanced soundtrack bitstream support is probably unimportant.

13. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Oops! I neglected to mention something critical to this issue!

HD DVD is normally authored in "advanced mode". Turns out, if the HD DVD is authored in advanced mode, then the advanced audio tracks CANNOT be output via HDMI bitstream. Instead, they have to be decoded within the player.

So, even if you have HDMI 1.3 at both ends and you have a processor/receiver with the ability to decode the tracks, you'll STILL be forced to use LPCM output for the advanced audio tracks.