Tosh510-Sanyo PLV30 Component Connection - what am I missing?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by melvynadam, Jul 12, 2002.

1. melvynadam

melvynadam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone else using this combination of DVD player and projector?

I've hooked up my new Tosh510 to my new PLV-30 with a very expensive component cable. Bought the whole lot from Sevenoaks. The picture's okay but I don't think I have the hardware set-up properly. If I choose "RGB" on the DVD setup menu then nothing displays on my projector. If I choose S-Video or Video as my "video out select" everything's fine.

The projector's "Video Source" must be set to "Y, Pb/Cb, Pr/Cr" and the DVD's "Video Out" must be set to either video or s video.

What's going on and how do I fix it?! Pretty please.

2. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I cannot help you with that particular DVD player, I have looked at it but not bought it.

What I am a little puzzled about is that you are even trying the other video settings. Surely you'd be only interested in the Progressive scan output.

Oops I just realised why you want RGB, you must have a lot of PAL material....
    Be smart, boycot any PAL (region 2) material

3. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hiya I have just got this DVD player for PS on my Tosh 32ZD26P

Here is own to set it up for NTSC Prog Scan

1. Connect up Component leads + Composite lead (will remove)

2. Using the composite video set the output from RGB to either S-video / Video. Now you will get a display from the component outputs. them disconnect the composite cable.

3. Turn off the machine and turn the switch under the Component outputs from I to P

4. Load up a NTSC R1 DVD and when it is playing, open the flap on the bottom of the remote and you will find a button labled cr / yb or something like that, cant remeber of the top of my head. Press this once and the word interlaced will appere press it again and the output will go to Prog Scan and it will say Progressive at the bottom

5. Say WOW :D

Hope this helps. If you have any problems just ask

Paul

4. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    melvynadam
    I've used this combination as I did have a 510 for a few days and the eiki clone of the plv-30, i just used the cheapo cable that came with the tosh - the one used for composite video + L + R audio, it works fine also for component!

Looking again at your post are you just confused to why RGB dosnt work at the same time as component? By selecting svideo\composite from the dvd player it's not sending that signal to the pj it's just enabling component out to work.

Your dvd player needs to not be sending the rgb (seperate colour info) info down the scart cable but through the component leads instead, they are a similar format but not the same (although closer in format than svid to component) and the dvd player probably only has one path internally in its circuitry for both, its either one or the other basically. Most dvd players process svid\composite seperately from rgb\component thats why you can view them simultaneously.

Ensure you are set to progressive using the switch on the back for a better imagewith r1 disks.

j

5. melvynadam

melvynadam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love the forums!
    Thanks for your help Oblivion. What I don't understand is that after going through the stages you've outlined my 510 is still set to "Video" or "S Video" and RGB still does nothing. What's the RGB setting for?
    Sorry for the basic questions!

6. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    RGB is for Scart - unfortunatly the Tosh cannot run RGB Scart and Component at the same time. Which is why when RGB is set as the output nothing comes out of the component outputs. I had the same problem yesturday - nearly had a heart attack thinking that the component outputs didnt work:D

I think you will find this is the norm with DVD layers with Component outs. I had to do the same with my Sony 725

So did you get PS to work? What did you think?

Paul

7. melvynadam

melvynadam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did get PS to work and I did say WOW!.
    Thanks for your help.
    So which should I use, S Video or Video? Does it make a difference?

8. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    depends wil you be conecting anything to the scart output??

Paul

9. melvynadam

melvynadam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. Well, maybe. I have a VCR that I want to connect to the projector too but I still haven't decided on the best way to do this.

10. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for my rubbish reply earlier. I do have the PLV-30 as well and I run everything first via my AV-AMP for Video Switching as well as Audio switching.

lf you have a DD setup and your AMP is capable you may want to use that route. As such I have concealed two cables in my ceiling. One sVideo and one Component, both are high quality Supra cables and are connected to the Monitor outputs on my amp.

My DVD, Sky+, sVHS and Xbox are all connected to my AMP inputs and will switch automatically.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

11. melvynadam

melvynadam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Marantz 5200. Is it capable?

Incidentally, I have my cables concealed under the floor and coming out up the wall - the things we do to hide the bloody things!

12. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume it is the SR5200, if so than it is more than capable of doing all the switching.

You have:
    5 Composite inputs
    5 sVideo inputs

I am not certain about the component switching capability, I think that doesn't come in until the SR7200 or higher.

So what you can do is connect the Toshiba DVD directly via the component connections to the Sanyo Projector. And also connect the Toshiba via sVideo to the SR5200.

Connect your Video (sVideo if capable or alternatively Composite) to the SR5200 and connect your PS via sVideo. Connect the sVideo out to the projector and connect the composite out to the projector.

Alternatively you can connect the SR5200 outputs to one of those £150 deinterlacers/scaler and voila you have progressive scan on all your source material.

I know what you say about cabling, I blame my wife ;-) I 'forgot' to run a 15-pin HD cable to my projector so I have to do it all again.

Good luck.

Jean-Paul

13. McPastry

McPastry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oblivion do you have to press the button every time to activate prog scan, or just the once?

14. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Once you have turned the Player on and pressed the button. It wil stay on PS until you either turm it off / take out the NTSC DVD. You then have to press it again to switchh from Interlaced to Progressive. Bummer I know but still a very small price to pay.

My only concern is if the little flap can handle sooooo much use :D

Paul

15. TRUCKDRIVER

TRUCKDRIVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've connected the tosh 510 to a tosh tlp-mt4....picture is very good on a 95" diagonal screen.

I didn't need to set it up as prog scan when changing regions... I guess the dvd& proj worked it out by themselves.....

16. melvynadam

melvynadam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help dejongj. Why does the Tosh need to be connected to the amp via sVideo? I'm going to buy a long sVideo cable to connect the amp to the projector in order to be able to watch videos but I'm confused about the interconnect you mentioned.
    Regards,
    M